Are your parents divorced?
yes 51%  51%  [ 28 ]
no 49%  49%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 55

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Nov 2010, 4:43 am

My impression is that people on the spectrum tend to marry late, if at all, and tend to have bad marriages.

I'm assuming that the parents of people on the spectrum were likely also on the spectrum, and wondering if they have a higher divorce rate than the general population. So I thought I'd do this poll...

Any thoughts on this topic are most welcome.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 6:51 am

My parents are divorced and I believe are on the spectrum. They definitely could not communicate effectively with each other and us. I'm not sure that it can be assumed for everyone;

Thomas, perhaps you could make another poll with more options; divorced & spectrum; divorced & non spectrum; together & spectrum; together & non spectrum.

Unless everyone specifies like I have, then you won't get a meaningful result from this poll, for the purposes of your hypothesis.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 7:06 am

My parents married early and divorced early. I suspect my father may be on the spectrum, but I don't believe my mother is.

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Nov 2010, 7:16 am

My parents divorced after we all left to live on our own. I'm certain my mother is on the spectrum.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 7:18 am

Moog wrote:
Thomas, perhaps you could make another poll with more options; divorced & spectrum; divorced & non spectrum; together & spectrum; together & non spectrum.

Yes exactly, I didn't vote because I figured my answer wouldn't benefit what the poll is asking. My parents divorced when I was 21... but I believe both are not on the spectrum. My mother is quite weird but she's still NT I think and my father is definitely NT. It was quite funny actually because for the longest time I wondered when they were going to split... why did they wait until I was 21? I just thought it was odd that they ever got together since they were polar opposites... I guess they married sorta young so I guess they didn't think it out much :roll:

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 7:44 am

My parents have not divorced but they have been seperated for over 10 years. They don't speak to each other. I think my father has AS.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 7:49 am

If my parents never married, but they didn't and don't live together, they're like divorced, aren't they?

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

conan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 8:21 am

my parents are divorced. they split when i was 19 and my brother was 15. it did not seem like a big deal but i think it has effected me more than i realised. I think my dad could be AS or have some of the phenotypes. My mum is closer to ADHD if anything.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 8:26 am

Yes, mine are divorced and it was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2010, 8:29 am

Might be soon if my dad keeps acting the way he is.

Skinnyboy
Raven
Raven

21 Nov 2010, 8:40 am

I could be persuaded to think those on the spectrum get married later or less often, but divorce statistics seem kind of iffy at times. The marriage can be hard, but we can be very loyal as well. My parents were divorced but were married just out of high school having me at age 20, not super unexpected. Mom has symptoms of the spectrum.

I've been married 15 years, together 20 years since I left high school, had a child later in life on the spectrum, something said to drive parents apart. We're doing ok.

IceKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2010, 12:57 pm

No, my parents are not divorced. They have told me they never will.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 1:22 pm

No. They've been happily married for over 30 years. Yeah, they do hit rough spots every once in awhile, but they are still very much in love with each other.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2010, 1:48 pm

considering marriage statistics, my parents are hard to pinpoint as late/early marriers, considering my mum was 36 and my dad was 27 at the time they got married... That was a little more than 20 years ago and they still live happily together.

As for the spectrum, it seems that it has skipped a generation, and I theorize it comes from my father's side of the family considering the things my paternal grandmother has told me of my grandfather (my dad was too young to remember him as they seperated when he was quite young), and considering some of the things that hints some traits... My father shows some very subtle traits (such as becoming very absorbed in work), but not enough to be considered as autistic in any way...

Considering what my dad told me about his childhood, he had a few problems in school at first, like having problems sitting still and trouble at gaining friends at first could hint at some (very) mild AS, that he has since then, more or less bypassed as I have myself during my youth...

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 1:49 pm

My parents have been married for 21 years. Both of my parents have had one previous marriage, though. My mom was married very briefly to one man, and my dad was married to one woman, with whom he had two kids.

I think the reason my parents aren't divorced is because they had been dating for years before they got married. My dad was 30 (almost 31) and my mom was 27 on their wedding day.

My parents are not on the spectrum, as far as I know.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 1:51 pm

Yes, my dad is just like me too.