Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Will this keep me out of law enorcement?
Poll ended at 28 Nov 2011, 1:41 pm
Yes, this will keep you out 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
No, this shouldn't affect you 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Unknown 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

Cowboysfan
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2010, 1:41 pm

The reason I'm asking is that I was diagnosed with HFA when I was 6 years old. Turns out it was a crappy home environment that was the real culprit since the symptoms had vanished by my 10th Bday and the diagnosis of autism/aspergers was removed a few weeks ago. The thing is, I want to work in law enforcement as soon as I'm done with college so I'd appreciate some feedback on this. Would having a childhood medical diagnosis that no longer applies in any shape or form keep me out? Thanks :D

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 1:44 pm

I don't know if it would or not. If the diagnosis will be removed, then it's like (to those doing the physical) you don't have something anymore, so it wouldn't affect your medical record at the time you enlist in the military.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 2:11 pm

If you can do the job, it shouldn't keep you out; but you would probably need to get re-evaluated and have the papers showing your first diagnosis was wrong and/or that you are obviously no longer diagnosable; in general, police officers are required to have good social skills, and autistic people by definition don't. That wouldn't stop you from being involved in law enforcement in general even if you were autistic and still very socially awkward; there are non-people-oriented positions available. But you are saying that you aren't diagnosable and presumably never were in the first place, so you should try to document that.

Does your school have a counseling office? You could go there and explain your problem and your need for a re-evaluation.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Cowboysfan
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2010, 11:29 pm

I wouldn't want to involve my school. They don't know and that's the way I want to keep it.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm

Talk to people that are in law enforcement. There is a chance that even an old diagnosis of an ASD could disqualify you.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

mimsy123
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2010, 2:19 am

I'm not sure how strict law enforcement is, so I picked unknown. I would think, though, if you can make it through the initial processes without then detecting anything that would prevent you from performing in the necessary tasks, you would be good.

Cowboysfan
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Nov 2010, 10:04 pm

I talked to a couple LEOs; someone from Navy CID said it was a complete non-issue, a Corrections Dept. officer said that if it didn't affect me and I had paperwork to prove it, it was a complete non-issue, and finally a retired Sheriff's Dept. officer said it didn't matter.