Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 2:11 pm

Kon wrote:
I have the same problem getting out of my warm bed. I doubt it has anything to do with ASD.

Hmm, yeah, I do have a problem with that one =/

And then I end up falling back asleep, oversleeping, and feeling groggy and awful the rest of the day (not to mention the occasional "oversleep headache").

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 4:52 pm

I really dislike getting out of a warm shower or bed. It's actually quite upsetting.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:34 pm

I hate getting out of the shower, but I hate it because I hate being wet and am unable to get dressed unless completely dry. It's bad enough I avoid showers. I also can't get my hair wet in the shower, because wet hair sticking to you is awful.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:35 pm

I agree that it's a sensory issue. I'm the same way but not quite as severe as you describe. The idea of getting a large towel to drape over your shoulders is helpful, also letting the room fill up with steam from the shower itself.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Dec 2010, 8:26 pm

I'm about to get my hot water fix ya'll :geek:

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2010, 8:51 pm

Thanks to all the people who have offered suggestions so far ... I've tried the two-towel thing and it works a little bit but it's still hard and I end up trying to dry myself off with one towel while crouched on the floor trying to keep the other towel on my shoulders. It's practically acrobatic.

Kon wrote:
I have the same problem getting out of my warm bed. I doubt it has anything to do with ASD.

So when you get out of bed in the morning, you immediately end up huddled on the floor whimpering and stay like that for ten minutes instead of getting up to put on any warm clothes because you are more or less physically incapacitated by the cold?

That doesn't happen to me gettint out of bed, but I guess it could to some people. I sometimes have trouble getting out of my warm bed, but that is different for me - that's just a matter of being cozy and warm and not wanting to move.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2010, 9:32 pm

bee33 wrote:
I agree that it's a sensory issue. I'm the same way but not quite as severe as you describe. The idea of getting a large towel to drape over your shoulders is helpful, also letting the room fill up with steam from the shower itself.

Be careful, unless your in an area that does have chlorinated and or fluorine water the steam can actually kill you, or have adverse affects on your body. Make sure that if you steam the room that you have proper ventilation. Oh and if you have wallpaper its an even worse idea, the wallpaper will mold.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:24 pm

I also have sensory processing disorder. I made it a routine to vigorously exercise before my showers, and avoided morning showers. The increased blood flow to extremities and serotonin/endorphin release helped me to deal with temperture change, related sensory issues, and most everything else in life.

In my estimation, the best inventions of the twentieth century were Hot Water Heaters and Central Air/Heat.

Maybe that's part of the reason why there are so many of us these days. :lol: .

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:54 pm

Huh, I do that too. Not quite that intense, but still pretty unpleasant. I didn't think it was related to AS, I assumed it was a normal thing everyone did. I mean, who would want to go from warm and pleasant to cold and shivering?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 11:48 pm

I used to have a hard time getting out of the bath or shower because it be too cold. Then I started to suck it up and just dealing with the shivering and the coldness. I have to get out some time right? Then after a while I got so used to it, I don't feel it as much. I can even leave the shower in my cold apartment and not shiver. It's like I am now hyposenstive to the cold.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 12:22 am

If possible, you can dry off in the shower to lesson the shock. Also, the heater suggestion are great. I love staying at a good hotel that has one of those heating lamps in the ceiling --- mmmmmm warmth.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 8:19 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
The solution is simple: Buy a small electric heater and make the bathroom very warm while you shower. Then getting out will be far nicer. I have a horror of showers for this exact reason and can never shower and must take sit-down baths instead.

+1,000

Most sane people install heaters in their bathrooms, but when I rented a place, I often found the bathroom to be too cold, and I'd just put a space heater in there for about 15 minutes on full heat before going in to shower. If you're worried about water and electricity (small bathroom), just pull out the heater before you shower.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:43 am

zer0netgain wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:
The solution is simple: Buy a small electric heater and make the bathroom very warm while you shower. Then getting out will be far nicer. I have a horror of showers for this exact reason and can never shower and must take sit-down baths instead.

+1,000

Most sane people install heaters in their bathrooms, but when I rented a place, I often found the bathroom to be too cold, and I'd just put a space heater in there for about 15 minutes on full heat before going in to shower. If you're worried about water and electricity (small bathroom), just pull out the heater before you shower.

Just keep the heater away from the water else you might have an entirely different sensory experience 8O 8O

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2010, 9:35 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:

+1,000

Just keep the heater away from the water else you might have an entirely different sensory experience 8O 8O

8O

LOL!