Page 5 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Have you ever been incredibly scared of death?
Yes 35%  35%  [ 36 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 62 ]
results, please :) 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 104

Fixer_Girl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2010, 12:53 am

I'd have to say that for the most part, no I'm not afraid of death.

I've been shot at too many times to remember, stabbed, blown up a few times, had some guy hold a grenade to my head during an incident once, and strangled until my heart stopped. There are a few other times where I've come close to death, but they're not that interesting.

One particular time that I almost died really bothers me. I can't go into too much detail, but I was at work doing my thing (where death was a daily possibility) and the tables kind of turned; in order to stop me from being able to give out very sensitive information during a possible interrogation, I was locked in an office (more of a room sized safe) and was instantly aware that my colleagues fully realized that we were very close to being 'silenced' - something I had no idea would/could be done deliberately by our side up to that point in my career. That scared me, a lot; not the dying part, but the fact that it was going to be the people I would have done anything to defend that would do it. I just couldn't get my head around that issue.

All in all, death seems pretty peaceful to me. That's the way it seemed when my heart stopped anyway - I was out for a few minutes. In fact, when I was resuscitated, I fought the people who brought me back to life - I wanted to go back to wherever it was that I had just been.

Interesting thread.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 1:57 am

I'm afraid of a painful death. That's about it though.

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2010, 7:11 am

I'm not afraid of death because it's inevitable. Anything that you know you can't escape from doesn't scare me, because I don't see any point in it. I don't think about it much because I think I'll have plenty of time to think about it when it happens (or not).

sadalgerian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2010, 7:14 am

amanda952 wrote:
I'm not really afraid of death, but what really scares me is dying in an incredibly painful way or even worse getting in a horribly disfiguring accident & then not being able to die. That is much worse than death. I already have issues with self-esteem, if anything like that ever happened to me don't think I could go on. Now this really isn't a phobia, but it is in the back of my mind from time to time. A lot of people are probably afraid of this, but don't really like to talk about it.

i m not afraid too
the way of death is just 1 min or 2 or maximum 1 day

but i afraid ( i dont know if it is the right word) after death

how is our life after

with god and angles

but i forget that when i remember that i do many something good in my life
and it is the cause of our "after death"

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 11:49 am

Fixer_Girl wrote:
. . . One particular time that I almost died really bothers me. I can't go into too much detail, but I was at work doing my thing (where death was a daily possibility) and the tables kind of turned; in order to stop me from being able to give out very sensitive information during a possible interrogation, I was locked in an office (more of a room sized safe) and was instantly aware that my colleagues fully realized that we were very close to being 'silenced' - something I had no idea would/could be done deliberately by our side up to that point in my career. That scared me, a lot; not the dying part, but the fact that it was going to be the people I would have done anything to defend that would do it. I just couldn't get my head around that issue. . .
Wow, that's some real serious s**t. And although I have not served in the military and do not have personal experience, it also seems really wrong.

Fixer_Girl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2010, 12:19 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Fixer_Girl wrote:
. . . One particular time that I almost died really bothers me. I can't go into too much detail, but I was at work doing my thing (where death was a daily possibility) and the tables kind of turned; in order to stop me from being able to give out very sensitive information during a possible interrogation, I was locked in an office (more of a room sized safe) and was instantly aware that my colleagues fully realized that we were very close to being 'silenced' - something I had no idea would/could be done deliberately by our side up to that point in my career. That scared me, a lot; not the dying part, but the fact that it was going to be the people I would have done anything to defend that would do it. I just couldn't get my head around that issue. . .
Wow, that's some real serious sh**. And although I have not served in the military and do not have personal experience, it also seems really wrong.

I agree, it is very wrong.

At no time in the careers office did the recruiting officer say that the job which I had chosen might mean that I'd be killed by my 'own' side in order to keep secrets - and at 18 that really upset me.

It's been twenty years since that incident, and I remember it as clearly as I remember having breakfast this morning.

I think of the incident pretty much every day, and I've never felt a sense of peace concerning the choices that were made.

Up to that point I had wondered (and asked many people) why we had a spy hole (like the kind you have on your front door at home) on our so called very secret office, that looked in and not out.

After that day, I quickly realized that the spy hole wasn't to see if everyone inside was ok; it was to see if we were dead.

Yeah, not the best day I've ever had.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 12:55 pm

I have patchy social skills, and sometimes I feel I perceive social dynamics very clearly, other times not so much. Okay, that said, the following is simply an idea on my part,

Do you think because it was such a huge deal your former colleagues foreclosed early, and didn't really try for better alternatives ? ?

Fixer_Girl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2010, 5:37 pm

I have patchy social skills, and sometimes I feel I perceive social dynamics very clearly, other times not so much. Okay, that said, the following is simply an idea on my part,

Do you think because it was such a huge deal your former colleagues foreclosed early, and didn't really try for better alternatives ? ?

I don't follow what you mean.

Foreclosed early?

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 6:43 pm

I used to be starting as a teenager when I had the realization that the idea of an afterlife was nothing but wishful thinking. These days it rarely crosses my mind and when it does it rarely disturbs me.
The truth is a primal fear of death is the root of all fears, and it exists even in those who believe in an afterlife, it is just twisted into a different form. If someone truly didn't fear death then they would fear nothing.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 12:46 pm

It seems to me that whether or not to commit suicide should be a soldier’s personal decision. And then, if an eighteen or nineteen-year-old is defending a position with a weapon, how would an enemy know that this person has important information? And wouldn’t the really important thing to be able to do would be to destroy papers and computer disks/computer tape in rapid fashion?

Now, the part about ‘foreclosed early’. It does not sound like they treated it as a last resort, or that they really waited until the very last minute. Instead it seems, maybe precisely because it was such a big bad deal, that your former colleagues did not see a way out, such as finessing an order, so they kind of numbed themselves out, to perhaps 60% of their normal intellectual/emotional resources. They started early, didn’t look for better alternatives with energy, didn’t agonize about it like they should have, and perhaps because they could not. They feared if they even started to agonize, that would take them down another path.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 12:55 pm

Subotai wrote:
I used to be starting as a teenager when I had the realization that the idea of an afterlife was nothing but wishful thinking. These days it rarely crosses my mind and when it does it rarely disturbs me.
The truth is a primal fear of death is the root of all fears, and it exists even in those who believe in an afterlife, it is just twisted into a different form. If someone truly didn't fear death then they would fear nothing.

there are MANY [a whole world of] things MUCH worse than death that are to be feared. death itself is nothing to be feared.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:14 pm

The idea that if you don't fear death then you fear nothing else is attributing too much rationality to human beings. We are fundamentally irrational creatures.

I am certain I have no fear of death, having faced it on enough occasions to gauge my responses. For example, on occasions that I've been hospitalized for something serious (well, yeah, these days the hospital won't take you in or keep you unless it's life-threatening) that could kill me even with medical help if things went wrong. Like a time when I had gone septic. Sometimes of course I was too out of it to understand death at all. But when I was conscious and aware of things, my response to it was fundamentally quite calm. If translated into words, it would be something like "Okay. I could live or I could die. It's better to live, so I will do everything I can in order to live. But if I die? It's just my time. It's nothing to fear. In fact, wow, I don't even fear the wrong people getting hold of possessions I'd rather keep private to certain people. It's important to me, and yet, if I'm dead anyway, what does it matter? So I will try for life, but if death comes, I'm ready for it and not afraid in the least bit."

Realizing that death is fundamentally not a scary thing did change many things in my life. But it didn't change the fact that I get afraid, even phobic, about some other things. Because the brain just is not logical that way. Phobias don't sit there and reason out, "If I'm not afraid of death, why am I afraid of heights?" (I'm not afraid of heights, it's just an example.) Phobias just happen. And so does fear over other things. I'm afraid of starvation because of how it makes me feel, not because it would kill me. I'm afraid of accidentally doing things that harm others, or that are unethical in some way. I'm afraid of the future of humanity. That death is not scary does not get rid of these things.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:45 pm

Once I was scared to die. But I have been through a near death experience (which I survived, obviously) and I went through the Kuebler-Ross phases in double time. Having gone through the pangs of fear and having walked through The Valley of Death (so to speak) I am no longer frightened, panicked, or terrified by the prospect.

Do not mistake me. As long as I am in good health I have no wish to die any sooner than I have to.

ruveyn

Fixer_Girl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2010, 3:52 pm

It seems to me that whether or not to commit suicide should be a soldier’s personal decision. And then, if an eighteen or nineteen-year-old is defending a position with a weapon, how would an enemy know that this person has important information? And wouldn’t the really important thing to be able to do would be to destroy papers and computer disks/computer tape in rapid fashion?

Now, the part about ‘foreclosed early’. It does not sound like they treated it as a last resort, or that they really waited until the very last minute. Instead it seems, maybe precisely because it was such a big bad deal, that your former colleagues did not see a way out, such as finessing an order, so they kind of numbed themselves out, to perhaps 60% of their normal intellectual/emotional resources. They started early, didn’t look for better alternatives with energy, didn’t agonize about it like they should have, and perhaps because they could not. They feared if they even started to agonize, that would take them down another path.

It's funny you should say that about destroying papers and computers in a rapid fashion - that's exactly what happened.

When we were locked in our office, my boss lifted the floor and pulled out a heavy canvas bag. Inside were a few small picks - the type a rock hound would use - and a couple of lighters.

Before we entered our office, we had our AGR's taken from us - that's a gas mask. I assume that's because they were going to gas us to death once we had finished destroying all of the cryptography codes, intel charts and equipment.

As for weapons - those were taken too.

It did strike me as odd how everyone else (the other 4) would know what was going on, and nobody bothered to let me know.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 8:15 am

Fixer_Girl wrote:
It's funny you should say that about destroying papers and computers in a rapid fashion - that's exactly what happened.

When we were locked in our office, my boss lifted the floor and pulled out a heavy canvas bag. Inside were a few small picks - the type a rock hound would use - and a couple of lighters.

Before we entered our office, we had our AGR's taken from us - that's a gas mask. I assume that's because they were going to gas us to death once we had finished destroying all of the cryptography codes, intel charts and equipment.

As for weapons - those were taken too.

It did strike me as odd how everyone else (the other 4) would know what was going on, and nobody bothered to let me know.

Wow, that is way serious and seems really wrong on several levels. And I'm very sorry that happened to you.

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 10:07 am

When I was 8, I was so scared of death that I had meltdowns.