Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 11:41 am

I don't really know why, but I seem to be getting more easily startled by common things. Most often, it's one of my parents appearing or saying something to me while I'm doing something. For example, I was coding on my computer yesterday, and my dad did nothing more than just stand by my door and tell me that dinner was ready, and I literally jumped out of my seat and let out a small yell. I think this is a common aspie thing. How do you deal with it?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 12:21 pm

It has something to do with focus intensity or/and semi-loose filters from distractions.

How to be aware of your surroundings... Without being overwhelmed or end up vigilant. :( How to put your mental guard up, without making it a burden.
Try anticipating from time to time, but not too much. This takes some skill...
If not that, figure how to get enough awareness to your surroundings while focusing. This one is rather tricky, depends how you focus (like how focus itself varies from aspies).

In my case, it's usualy the other way around. :lol: People are startled by me, even if they're the one who intentionally wants to startle me in the first place. I'm the one who ends up startling people and then them accusing me for a ghost.
I'm more likely end up panicking (by random incidents like falling or spilling objects) than being startled.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 1:25 pm

Is it that I'm hyperfocusing so much that I'm not aware of my surroundings?

I've also had the opposite situation, too. I've walked up to someone to talk to them, and then they got scared like a ghost appeared out of nowhere. I'm very tall (6'3"), so it's kind of hard to not notice me.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2016, 2:58 pm

I get startled easily, too and absolutely HATE it. Just someone touching me unexpectedly is enough to make me jump out of my skin. I get startled a lot at where I live, with people letting out these outbursts for no reason at all. I'm sensitive to loud noises, too, and I have to deal with it every day. Whenever I get startled, I just try to shake it off. I depends on how badly I was startled. I usually get over it after a few minutes.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 3:18 pm

One time, we were taking a test in class, and I jumped out of my skin when someone across the room dropped a lightweight pencil.

I get startled even when I know the thing (such as a loud noise) is going to happen. I'm pretty sure it's because I've retained the moro reflex.

Sometimes, people like to have fun with seeing me startle.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 3:36 pm

I definitely get startled easily. I can concentrate intensely on a favorite topic. I especially get startled when someone comes up behind me and speaks to me. Makes me jump out of my skin!

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 4:50 pm

I wrote about this same thing (on WP) a while back. It's not uncommon for me to have an "exaggerated" startle response. Some examples:

a) I am at work, focusing on something requiring lots of precision, and someone comes by and asks me a question
b) I am driving on the freeway and a loud motorcycle passes by my car
c) I am sitting in the therapists’ waiting room, playing on my phone, and suddenly the therapist’s door opens

When I have an exaggerated startle response, usually the following occurs:
- My body jerks/jumps
- My heart starts racing rapidly
- I make a sound indicating I was startled (“aaaah”)

I am not 100% certain why this happens, as it seems intermittent.