Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2010, 5:52 pm

Warning! To those of you who are applying to college, stay away from traditional disability schools like Landmark, Curry, and Mitchell especially if your GPA and SATs are high enough to get in somewhere else. Look for a program for Aspergers that is integrated into a more prestigious university. I don't think prestige is necessarily important but academic atmosphere is very important. Schools with large disability populations have to be lenient in their admissions standards so as a result they attract a low caliber student body and have low academic standards, bad campus life, immature kids. If you have a low GPA And SAT scores, your better off going to Community College that have residential programs for Aspergers or go to community college near where your parents live.

Here are some student reviews from traditional disability schools:

http://www.epinions.com/review/educ-Col ... 453B-prod1
http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/Curry_College.html
http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/MC_com ... l=Mitchell College
http://www.studentsreview.com/VT/LC_com ... e=negative

A facebook group for Curry College
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7434317802

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2010, 6:58 pm

I don't need a Disability School. My handicaps come naturally.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 7:03 pm

I want to go to University of the Incarnate Word but wonder if it would be best to go to a sechular school where I can have my own opinion.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 7:11 pm

So, basically, we're supposed to stay away from other disabled people because we might get disability cooties on us or something? Well, screw that. I've made more friends with other disabled people than I've ever made with NTs, and I've learned more, and done more, and been able to excel academically at my "disability school" a great deal more than I would if I were pretending to be NT at some disability-unfriendly place somewhere.

You know what's more important than prestige? Actually having an environment in which you can learn. And I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of other Aspies in some autism-specific program; I've had enough of that insular "autistic-only" environment to last me a lifetime. Autistic people are cool, sure, but disabled people of all sorts need to stick together.

PunkyKat, good religious schools do not dictate what you believe; faith has to be voluntary if it's to be real--I think you can probably find someplace that lets students have more freedom without being completely secular.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 7:58 pm

Avengilante wrote:
I don't need a Disability School. My handicaps come naturally.

Tee Hee

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 8:12 pm

At least two of your links filter everything out but the negative reviews. That isn't a very fair representation. I don't think there is a problem with disability schools on the whole but a school individually.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2010, 9:39 pm

Callista wrote:
PunkyKat, good religious schools do not dictate what you believe; faith has to be voluntary if it's to be real--I think you can probably find someplace that lets students have more freedom without being completely secular.

I know a girl who goes to Harding University & she says it's pretty liberal dress-code wise & stuff like that. If you're looking for theologically liberal, Wheaton College fits the bill.

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2010, 9:43 pm

Callista
A girl with PDD-NOS and the social maturity of a twelve year old was raped at Landmark College by someone with ADHD. I have ADHD as well but I do not like to identify with it because a lot of kids and their parents use it as an excuse for bad behavior. Is this the kind of academic environment you want Aspies in?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 9:44 pm

Unless you are pursuing a career in academia, college is primarily for getting a decent job. More important than student life is the type and frequency of job placement of a schools graduates. A disability school may or may not be any better than a regular university. In New York State, at least, the entire SUNY system has disabilities services. I would think that most public universities have such things in order to be in compliance with the ADA.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 10:59 pm

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
Callista wrote:

I know a girl who goes to Harding University & she says it's pretty liberal dress-code wise & stuff like that. If you're looking for theologically liberal, Wheaton College fits the bill.

Maybe I should look into a sechular school then. I can't wear anything other than shorts and most Christians seem to love to hate women who wear shorts.

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2010, 11:08 pm

A lot of christian girls dress like sluts.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 11:11 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I can't wear anything other than shorts and most Christians seem to love to hate women who wear shorts.

I've never heard that before.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 11:14 pm

John_Browning wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
I can't wear anything other than shorts and most Christians seem to love to hate women who wear shorts.

I've never heard that before.

I'm a Christian and I have no problem with girls wearing shorts.

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2010, 11:26 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Unless you are pursuing a career in academia, college is primarily for getting a decent job. More important than student life is the type and frequency of job placement of a schools graduates. A disability school may or may not be any better than a regular university. In New York State, at least, the entire SUNY system has disabilities services. I would think that most public universities have such things in order to be in compliance with the ADA.

Academic environment is important even for Aspies. If people around you are doing drugs or engaging in reckless behavior, then you'll be tempted to as well.)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 11:36 pm

Ariela wrote:
Callista
A girl with PDD-NOS and the social maturity of a twelve year old was raped at Landmark College by someone with ADHD. I have ADHD as well but I do not like to identify with it because a lot of kids and their parents use it as an excuse for bad behavior. Is this the kind of academic environment you want Aspies in?

Rape occurs everywhere and to anybody.

Oh, so the person had ADHD. Since people diagnose bad behaviour as ADHD I should be wary around all these people because they might rape me, yes?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Dec 2010, 12:30 am

Ariela wrote:
Callista

I have ADHD too, and as far as I know, ADHD is not a prerequisite for someone to be a rapist. Rape happens at "prestigious" schools as well, you know? Committed by people who have no disabilities. Are you suggesting it happens more often at these colleges?

Edit: Oh, and Christian girls dress like "sluts"? Really now?