Seeing normal mental images in the brain/mind?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:04 pm

Anyone have noticeable difficulty seeing normal mental images in their brain/mind? Along the lines of reading a book and picturing in the brain/mind the people and places in the book story? What is this called? Experiences?

FlintsDoorknob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2011, 8:10 pm

I think I understand what you're trying to say. It's hard for you to visualize when reading a book? Problems with visualizing? I think I do normally. It seems I can't daydream unless it's about something literal, or concrete. Reading books is kind of hard to picture too, I just have a vague idea of what the place/people look like.

veryneutralusername
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jan 2011, 8:19 pm

I'm not sure if you're talking about visualising, but I have a large problem with this. I have virtually no mental pictures especially when reading! I daydream but in the form of words- i.e. I imagine different people talking, but I do not see them talk, I hear them talk. It brings some distinctive promblems in very specific areas of maths, but also some positives, for example, I have a strong auditory memory and can remember many conversations precisely.

I didn't think that was an Aspie thing, because I thought Aspie's had very distinct and strong mental images, but I may be wrong!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:53 pm

Different autistic people who have good sensory memory can be better with different senses. The only reason most people think of visual thinking is Temple Grandin got famous for it first.