Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

H20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2006, 6:54 pm

I have recently learned about Asperger's Syndrome and expect to soon be officially diagnosed. I am interested in knowing what materials anyone has found to be helpful in coping with the disorder (books, articles, group counseling, pharmaceuticals, etc.). Also, have any of you experienced "prejudice" with your insurance? I am trying to figure out if my diagnosis would be helpful or hurtful in getting my counseling covered by my BC/BS policy.

Thanks!

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2006, 7:48 pm

I really like Donna Williams, Dawn Prince-Hughes, and Temple Grandin's books . . . I really enjoyed Edgar Schneider, too . . . I've found reading books by autistic authors to be much more helpful than any sort of therapy . . .
I've found no luck in finding psychiatrists or psychologists that know a blessed thing about AS, but that may be my bad luck . . . I'm starting to think I'm going to have to move to Australlia to go see Tony Attwood!
For insurance, they seem to be fine about covering appointments, but God help you if you try to get private insurance . . . I've found out I'm on the same list with the private insurance companies as a person I know who has HIV and also people who have terminal cancer . . .

terifo
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2006, 9:03 pm

I'm not sure how old you are, but there are two good books. One is Geeks, Freaks, and Aspergers or something like that. The author's last name is Jackson I think. The other one is something like Aspergers and the Universe. They are both by young men with Aspergers. I found them to be very informational.

My other suggestion is to google Asperger's Disorder or Autism Spectrum Disorder. There is a ton of information on the internet.

H20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2006, 10:31 pm

I am a 37 year old female. I seem to be in the minority for this condition, as everyone is either a child or male, or both. Any materials specific to women with asperger's, especially those with families, would be helpful.

It seems to me that everything I am finding on the internet is repetitive about symptoms, and treatments generally focus on finding long-term relationships. I am interested in what Asperger's really means (is it chemical, physiological, developmental, etc. and why did this happen?). I am also interested in learning how better to parent my children and how to help my husband understand how I think.

Thanks for your replies!

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2006, 11:31 am

Have you looked at any of Jerry Newport's books? I seem to remember his having address the getting along with others issue - also, that is something that Dawn Prince-Hughes talks about in her book 'Sons of the Gorilla Nation' - she is a lesbian, but I think the 'getting along with others living in your house' thing has nothing to do with the sort of plumbing they have - it is still the same social issues . . .