Urticaria: skin rash when moving from cold to warm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2011, 3:22 am

Hi there,

the following happens when i move from the cold outside into the warm: red pales on my skin, like in an allergic reaction. My face has so many red pales so that i look like a "monster", hehe. And i feel pretty uncomfortable. This also happens when i go swimming too long, then at my neck and other body parts these red pales can be found.

Does anyone else have this experience? What could be the reasons? Wrong eating?

byebye,
anton

snayl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2011, 8:13 am

My wife has the same experience. When she takes a shower that's really hot, also.

She saw her GP about it. Believe it or not, some people have an allergic reaction to extreme temperature changes. He prescribed allergy meds (e.g. Claritin) and they actually helped. Kind of a pain having to take them every day as a way of staving off an occasional discomfort, but they did help.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 12:10 pm

Urticaria (also called hives) is a histamine response, and antihistamines should calm it - antihistamine cream on the area, or oral antihistamine if it is severe. Avoiding the cause is the usual long-term treatment. Some people react this way to cats, pollen or fruit. Some people claim that a cool bath containing bicarbonate of soda will sooth the itching, but that never worked for me.

Sometimes urticaria can be caused by, or made worse by, another factor like impaired liver function or sinusitis, in which case it might subside if that factor is treated.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 2:02 pm

It probably is an allergic reaction. You didn't do anything to cause it--were probably just born with that quirk, or born with susceptibility to eventually get it.

It can be treated like any other allergy--antihistamines or staying away from the allergen. I don't think they make allergy shots for heat, though. :P

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 7:38 pm

It's an allergy-like response to temperature most likely. I had cold urticaria for years. So did my dad. Reactions to temperatures are not caused by what you eat.