Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Mamaholly
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2011, 1:33 pm

My 12 yo son has great anxiety and difficulty with writing. He wrote this the other day, Spelling and punctuation are unedited.

"four years ago I had anager ishu and I thowe stuff hert pepol and get in trudl and I was mesbol [miserable] but I now I can control it a litle better and be nice and be hapy mor. ps. nobudy then anderstand I had assbergerbs but now thay nowe and I can comemownakate [communicate] with them better now."

Anyone else find great relief in finding a diagnosis? Maybe identification/recognition are better terms.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 1:46 pm

Transation please?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SilverSolace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2011, 2:08 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Transation please?
I think the spelling rubbed off on you, lol jk.

'Four years ago I had an anger issue and I threw stuff, hurt people, got in trouble and was miserable, but now I can control it a little better and be more nice and happy.
PS nobody understood then that I had Aspergers but now they know and I can communicate with them better now.'

Edit: meant to hit preview, not send. So here is my post script:
I'm glad the dx has helped your son. I want to laugh at his spelling but I also want to congratulate any progress he has made with social skills and writing alike.

Mamaholly
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2011, 2:38 pm

Thank you for translating for me and thank you for the sentiments.

Zabriski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

Wait, is a symptom of aspergers trouble with grammar/spelling?

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm

When I got diagnosed if confirmed my suspicions, a lot of things in my life had a reason, I knew that the problems I had weren't all in my head, and that there were actually other people like me out there.

But it's nice to hear that your son is happy. You must feel a little relief too, no?

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 2:46 pm

Zabriski wrote:

If that's the case, I don't have it!

Asperger's affects everyone differently, and we've all got our strengths and weaknesses.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 3:16 pm

Zabriski wrote:

I think it's more likely that following grammar too strictly is a trait, though using language unusually is also a trait. Remember, everyone is different, everyone has his own strengths and weaknesses.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 4:01 pm

Mamaholly wrote:
My 12 yo son has great anxiety and difficulty with writing. He wrote this the other day, Spelling and punctuation are unedited.

"four years ago I had anager ishu and I thowe stuff hert pepol and get in trudl and I was mesbol [miserable] but I now I can control it a litle better and be nice and be hapy mor. ps. nobudy then anderstand I had assbergerbs but now thay nowe and I can comemownakate [communicate] with them better now."

Anyone else find great relief in finding a diagnosis? Maybe identification/recognition are better terms.

In a sense, knowing that you are different and your issues are real and you are a valuable person instead of being someone undesirable is quite a relief. On the other hand, losing faith in the belief that if you tried hard enough you could be normal can be quite detrimental. Balance is the key. Personally, I believe the sooner someone gets treatment and acknowledgment for his/her difficulties the better. I see your son struggles with writing (dyslexia), I hope he gets the accommodation and treatment he needs.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Zabriski wrote:

I think it's more likely that following grammar too strictly is a trait, though using language unusually is also a trait. Remember, everyone is different, everyone has his own strengths and weaknesses.

You've got that right. I have horrible spelling, but you wouldn't know because I use spell check. If there wasn't such a thing as spell check, I'd be to embarrassed to post here.

To the OP: I'm glad that your son is happy with his Dx. :)

Mamaholly
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

I didn't think about starting off by correcting the grammar/spelling because I'm excited that he was able to communicate so clearly despite the errors. I think it isn't technically dyslexia because it doesn't affect his reading, only his written expression. So, dysgraphia. Because of the increased communication since his AS dx, his anxiety has decreased to the point he's willing to try. This is actually a great improvement. His drawings are indistinguishable from a three year old's.

To answer a pp's question, no, I don't think dysgraphia is a symptom of AS at all but the anxiety that accompanies it might be, though dysgraphia causes its own anxiety of course.

Last edited by Mamaholly on 16 Dec 2011, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm

Mamaholly wrote:

Somehow, I understand that perfectly, mis-spellings and all. I don't know how it was easy to read.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:54 pm

Mamaholly wrote:

This is so sweet and awesome.

I'm glad to know that I have autism.

Likely, I will continue to feel strange and uneasy about being able to communicate as much as I can do now and all the new things that I only get to know because of improved communication. But then, there are so many interesting and enjoyable things now that I'm only part of because I can better communicate with people/people communicate with me that overall, I'm relieved to have received the diagnosis and with it the chance to improve.