100 Ways to Annoy Somebody With Asperger's Syndrome

Page 4 of 45 [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 45  Next

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 5:46 am

Moog wrote:
74. Poke them with a stick.

LOL I once saw someone with a T shirt that said " I poke badgers with spoons"

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:07 am

Aimless wrote:
Moog wrote:
74. Poke them with a stick.

LOL I once saw someone with a T shirt that said " I poke badgers with spoons"

:lol: Cool! I want one.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:32 am

75: When shopping at the mall, talk non stop and ask a million questions and challenge every choice they make based on brand, price, colour, quantity, whatever you can think of. (when meltdown occurs, get mad at them for being childish).

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:38 am

Callista wrote:
19.) Insist that they must love prime numbers because they are autistic, even when they explain to you that primes annoy them.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:07 am

eudaimonia wrote:
9. Start talking at them as if they are losing their hearing.

I guess everyone knows I have AS. When they use PA systems, they always SCREAM into them CLOSE to the mouthpiece.

Qatsi64
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2011, 8:35 am

76. Buy a strobe light, and set it off randomly (or more practically, walk into a room they are in and turn on the light, asking why they are sitting in the dark)
77. Buy and install wind chimes (or some other device to generate noise randomly)

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 9:00 am

78. Lightly pat the back of their hand (or their knee) to emphasise important statements.

79. Begin and end every sentence by repeating their name.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 9:28 am

80. Begin arguments with 'Why can't you just..."
81. Trying to force an answer out of you after you have frozen up and not taking 'I don't know what to say' as an answer.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 10:12 am

Chronos wrote:
I'll start. Others may contribute.

1. Tell them that everybody has trouble socializing with the intention of reassuring them that they aren't all that different from everyone else.

You obviously do not know what you are talking about and don't understand that being different isn't some horrible, insufferable point of insecurity for us.

That particular thing doesn't irritate me, because I know it's true, up to a point. I think there is a fundamental difference in my trouble socializing and that of some others. They have this will to keep going on and on regardless, and I just don't give a flying fling. They want to attempt to improve while I don't care.

What does bother me are these broad generalizations, like, Asperger's people get annoyed when someone says to them everyone has trouble socializing.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 10:47 am

Good ones!

katzefrau wrote:
read into things that they say and extract unintended meaning but do not explain what your interpretation is so that they can clarify.
Really. How can I defend myself when I don't know what the charges are, or even that I've been accused of anything.
katzefrau wrote:
answer "why" with "that's just the way it is"
That goes in the same file with "because I said so." Translation: You're dealing with a mindless fascist.
katzefrau wrote:
tease them and then call them humorless if they don't understand that you're teasing or respond properly
My response to that kind of s**t is "If the victim is not laughing, it's not funny." Anyone with any potential for human decency will grasp that. The person who continues is uneducable.
katzefrau wrote:
demand that they smile
It's not easy to smile when you're surrounded by predators.
katzefrau wrote:
give them the "not a real person" treatment .. ignoring their opinions in favor of someone less logical but better at interjecting obnoxiously
It's so degrading. If you need to ask for respect, you've already lost if forever..

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 11:07 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
I'll start. Others may contribute.

1. Tell them that everybody has trouble socializing with the intention of reassuring them that they aren't all that different from everyone else.

You obviously do not know what you are talking about and don't understand that being different isn't some horrible, insufferable point of insecurity for us.

That particular thing doesn't irritate me, because I know it's true, up to a point. I think there is a fundamental difference in my trouble socializing and that of some others. They have this will to keep going on and on regardless, and I just don't give a flying fling. They want to attempt to improve while I don't care.

What does bother me are these broad generalizations, like, Asperger's people get annoyed when someone says to them everyone has trouble socializing.

IDK - it's the same as someone saying 'I know how you feel', when they have no experience in what you are going through. Therapists are trained to specifically NOT say those words because it devalues a person's feelings.

If someone told me 'everybody' has trouble socializing, I'd be sorely tempted to ask them to explain what trouble they have had personally. Sure, the statement is true - I think we all recognise that - but, in context it is unintentionally demeaning when the person saying it has no idea what 'trouble socializing' means to us. What a daily struggle it is. Feeling awkward at a HS reunion, for example, is one thing - avoiding every reunion for the sheer terror it invokes is another (besides, who would want to see the people that made your life hell for 4 years?).

I am constantly coached on what not to say in certain situations... I think that should work both ways. All Aspies may not be offended by that statement, but enough will be that it is probably best left out of conversation. Not that I think that will ever happen...

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 11:35 am

82. State that the person who mentions they have Asperger's is 'just using it as a crutch.' Use it whenever you feel they are making excuses, because everyone else is able to do it.

83. Talk to them as if they only had the simple understanding of a three year old, and not the adult intelligence they actually possess.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

24 Feb 2011, 11:41 am

82. When an aspie is trying hard to concentrate on something of interest, hum or whistle random songs.

83. Ask an aspie to show you how to become skilled at a particular video game (i.e. Street Fighter, Final Fantasy) and then start pressing buttons on the controller randomly while saying, "like this?".

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 11:45 am

Quote:
83. Ask an aspie to show you how to become skilled at a particular video game (i.e. Street Fighter, Final Fantasy) and then start pressing buttons on the controller randomly while saying, "like this?".

I think thats the most annoying thing in the world, ever, for anyone.
>.<

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 11:58 am

84) Being wrong about a fact and argue with an aspie about it insisting you are correct. Even when they do prove to you how wrong you were because they show you the proof they are correct, still insist you are right

85) Tell them they shouldn't have kids because they have AS

86) Invite lot of people over and be in their personal space and make lot of noise as possible and move furniture around and make messes and wear shoes in the house tracking in dirt

87) Ask for their opinion about a person you know and if it's a negative opinion, go to that person and tell them what the aspie had just said about them leaving out you had asked for their opinion and then have that person get mad at the aspie and watch them tell the aspie off for gossiping about them and being "rude" and saying bad things behind their back

98) Ask them a question about anything and when they give you an answer you didn't want to hear, get mad at them about it

Last edited by League_Girl on 24 Feb 2011, 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2011, 11:58 am

89. Tell them, with just the requisite degree of smugness and self-satisfaction, that you've got a new girlfriend or boyfriend.

90. Talk about them in the third person whilst they're standing right next to you.

91. Tell them that we all have our crosses to bear - after all, nothing is ever handed to anyone on a plate, and the world doesn't owe anyone anything.

Last edited by Locustman on 24 Feb 2011, 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.