Why do I hate almost every movie I see?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ryantkvids
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2011, 7:34 pm

When I was a kid I would sometimes see movies 3 or 4 times in the theater. Now-a-days very few movies entertain me, especially comedies. Even if the movie is hilarious, I won't laugh and I end up bored after about 30 minutes. I'll think to myself how creative and funny something was, but I won't laugh. I'm not saying I never laugh at movies, but it's definitely a rarity. I do have Aspergers. I have fought depression for most of my life, and it hasn't gotten any better. I hate my job, I hate where I live, I'm still single. Could my depression have anything to do with me hating almost every movie I see?. And if my depression is the reason, then why do I hate almost every movie I see. Wouldn't I hate them all?

By the way, I am a 26 year old man.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:41 pm

I don't know, maybe comedies today stink out loud. Just sayin'. Maybe your comedic style isn't that which is mass produced.
Although some of those movies definitely have their moments, they're kind of predictable and...trite.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:48 pm

Yeah, maybe it's because movies these days are horrible. :lol:

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:55 pm

ryantkvids wrote:
When I was a kid I would sometimes see movies 3 or 4 times in the theater. Now-a-days very few movies entertain me, especially comedies. Even if the movie is hilarious, I won't laugh and I end up bored after about 30 minutes. I'll think to myself how creative and funny something was, but I won't laugh. I'm not saying I never laugh at movies, but it's definitely a rarity. I do have Aspergers. I have fought depression for most of my life, and it hasn't gotten any better. I hate my job, I hate where I live, I'm still single. Could my depression have anything to do with me hating almost every movie I see?. And if my depression is the reason, then why do I hate almost every movie I see. Wouldn't I hate them all?

By the way, I am a 26 year old man.

Could be depression but it's more lightly that the movies are not to your taste and as jamesongerbil said "Maybe your comedic style isn't that which is mass produced".

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:00 pm

Because most films are crap. When you are a child you don't know much about the world. Therefore your tastes would not be as evolved and you would find most things, at the least, amusing.

When I watch movies to feel something it's usually grisly horror movies. The last thing I saw that made me feel something was "Mary and Max." I don't know why people have to make so much light, escapist fare. I'd rather watch something deep that says something.

TheSnarkKnight
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2011, 8:09 pm

I found a few articles yesterday that dealt with this issue. Basically, Hollywood has become more concerned about what movies can sell the most tickets, and not movies that tell good stories. They dumb everything down so that little kids can go see them, complete idiots can understand them, and foreign markets won't be left in the dark about any culture-specific tropes.

First article.

Second article.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:10 pm

I usually stick to big fx movies or action movies. I don't bother with drama or comedies. I can wait for Netflix for those. I'm also no fan of comedy in geenral because alot of it is humiliation based and I have no stomach for that. But a good zombie movie - hell,even a mediocre one - is much more attractive.

And some tv actually kicks ass - Walking Dead anyone?!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:31 pm

The contents of today's movies aren't very good. Things went downhill after 1997 when Austin Powers was first the rage. Movies got progressively more racy after that.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:43 am

As a kid, I used to have a lot of emersion.

I like to say I'm a Fantasy Drug Addict.

I read so many books and so watched so many movies to emerse myself away from reality. To escape into a fantasy to the point where I started craving higher and higher amounts of fantasy.

I need a stronger drug when it comes to fantasy now. Mainstream doesn't feed this.

I hope to god that made sense.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:06 am

It's normal for people with depression to lose interest in things they previously enjoyed. Some people think depression is about being upset or unhappy but as anyone who's suffered from it knows, it isn't. It's a numbness, everything becomes grey and flat and boring. Your sparkle has gone out.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 11:08 am

Its because movies are lousy these days. There are no real plot lines or stories. They are all about special effects. 99% special effects and 1% plot.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 11:27 am

Because they stink?

I can get a step more sophisticated:

Filmmakers even if they long to create true art are forced to maximize profits.

Any cinematic entertainment that comes close to satisfying me, my wife, and obviously you is going to be unintelligible and / or uninteresting to most people out there due to differences in brain function and socialization. Some things - like your first smoke - do not go down well until you are conditioned to like or need them.

Any cinematic entertainment that satisfies the critics and / or the mass of OTHER brains will bore or offend me, my wife, and obviously you.

No film maker will spend millions on a film only a thousand people will ever watch.

Add to that that they compete - every film that works even a litle gets a dozen imitators. So much for originality.

Bottom line, I can be amazed there are as many GOOD films as there are if you do not look TOO closely.

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2011, 12:46 pm

9 times out of 10, comedies today are just plain garbage. I would rather just watch Monty Python films.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 1:28 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:

I read so many books and so watched so many movies to emerse myself away from reality. To escape into a fantasy to the point where I started craving higher and higher amounts of fantasy.

I need a stronger drug when it comes to fantasy now. Mainstream doesn't feed this.

I understood every word. :) I've been researching and writing my own fantasy since I was in my 20's. I know where you're coming from!

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 1:43 pm

I´m having a similar problem, I used to love watching movies, but lately it´s rare that I find a film I like. Especially comedy! I *know* that my taste in comedy seems to be different from that of the masses.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 1:51 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:

It did to me! I'm the same way. I've become almost microeclectic in what will do it for me, now.