Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 11:13 am

I know this has been said before in 150 different ways, but i am getting annoyed with this!
Is there a way to recognise emotions out of context?
Every emotion is the same to me: if i'm in love, i feel a gush of adrenalin, if i'm scared, same, if i'm happy, same, if i'm anxious, same, I can only tell what i'm feeling if i know WHY i'm feeling it: i have an exam tomorrow+adrenalin rush=anxiety, i met a cute guy+adrenalin rush= i like him (although i have mistaken this one for fear and avoided lot of guys i liked in my teens :P )
But how do you know how you feel when you're not sure??
If you have to make an important decision , like leaving your boyfriend or staying with him for instance, and you decide to picture leaving him, so that you know how you feel about it, and all you get is : adrenalin rush=undefined??
I am getting tired of this to be honest. I want to be able to know how i feel about things. I feel things and i don't know what they are , and it might be important!
Sorry for the useless rant. I suppose there's nothing anyone could say that would help...but if any of you is more experienced with this and has a trick, please share it, i'm tired of wanting to slap myself everytime i have a decision to make and nothing clear comes out of my reflexions....

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 1:16 pm

oh ediself, i'm sorry about your difficulty.. i'm sure you'll find a way or at least not be in too much situations that will be difficult..
i hope all goes well with you and good luck.. i'm sure there'll be some help around somewhere.. :)

Last edited by NcNbl on 27 Feb 2011, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 1:18 pm

ediself wrote:
I know this has been said before in 150 different ways, but i am getting annoyed with this!
Is there a way to recognise emotions out of context?
Every emotion is the same to me: if i'm in love, i feel a gush of adrenalin, if i'm scared, same, if i'm happy, same, if i'm anxious, same, I can only tell what i'm feeling if i know WHY i'm feeling it: i have an exam tomorrow+adrenalin rush=anxiety, i met a cute guy+adrenalin rush= i like him (although i have mistaken this one for fear and avoided lot of guys i liked in my teens :P )
But how do you know how you feel when you're not sure??
If you have to make an important decision , like leaving your boyfriend or staying with him for instance, and you decide to picture leaving him, so that you know how you feel about it, and all you get is : adrenalin rush=undefined??
I am getting tired of this to be honest. I want to be able to know how i feel about things. I feel things and i don't know what they are , and it might be important!
Sorry for the useless rant. I suppose there's nothing anyone could say that would help...but if any of you is more experienced with this and has a trick, please share it, i'm tired of wanting to slap myself everytime i have a decision to make and nothing clear comes out of my reflexions....

You have to know yourself very well to be able to do that. Without a basis of reference, it's not possible. I have tricks I use, such as sleeping in late=lack of energy=depressed, but you need your own tricks.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 2:40 am

Alexithymia anybody?
Not a useless rant! You are not alone for being this way!

I have been struggling with this a lot recently. I have been doing a lot of rants myself.
I sometimes feel "bad" or "good". I also can relate my energy levels: "calm", "distressed". That's about it.
The bad thing is I can't seem to attach these feelings to events in my life. It sucks sometimes.

A lot of people have told me don't worry about it, but I am prone to mood disorders. I have felt "bad" for about two weeks and I have really tried very hard but I can't figure out why. There are no notable events in my life currently. I hope I will not have another depression. I have noticed my energy levels seem to be lower than normal and I have been sleeping slightly more than usual. I also had a crying spell (silent tears) at the end of January due to an unknown cause.
My motivation for trying to understanding how I feel is that I don't want to have a severe depression, that has almost killed me 3 times in the past.

Adrenalin rush is usually anxiety. Anxiety is sometimes caused by life changes. The way I distinguish fear is by trying to understand if there is a current threat present.

I would approach the boyfriend question analytically. Think about the pros and cons with staying or leaving.
The boyfriend question is going to cause anxiety regardless because it represents a change in your life.

I don't know if this helps or not

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 11:59 am

Joining the crowd here. I am completely incapable of talking about my emotions outisde of a very simple way. Also they all "feel" the same to me. It might be worthwhile noting that I am also extrememely hypo-sensitive.