Oh stop it, it's not loud. Stop being a baby.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Snivy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2011, 7:58 am

High Pitch noises, screaming babies, screaming children, fire drills, fire alarms, noisy kids chattering in the cafeteria, refusing to keep their voices down, drills. It's earsplitting to me and not them. It ANNOYS me that other people claim that it's not loud, when it's very loud to me.

When will people understand?

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 8:07 am

I'm pretty sure they won't... :( People, in general, are quite bad a sympathizing with experiences they themselves do not have. Ironic.

I've learned to not grab my head when the sound is cleaving my skull in two - I fold my tragus into my ear canal with one finger. If the sound is continuous, I just need to get out of there.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 9:14 am

Little foam earplugs will save your life. Buy them and use them whenever you are in a crowded place. They are cheap and nobody even has to see them so they cannot annoy anyone. You can still hear people talking to you just fine...

This is a "world" full of people who do not mind and even like noise. So we have to figure out how to cope and adjust in most situations not the other way around.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 9:34 am

Snivy wrote:

When they learn not to act as if someone else's experiance is exactly like theirs. Only in a perfect world, right?

Also, HOW RUDE to call you a baby over something that drives you insane!?

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 28 Mar 2011, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 9:50 am

Snivy wrote:
High Pitch noises, screaming babies, screaming children, fire drills, fire alarms, noisy kids chattering in the cafeteria, refusing to keep their voices down, drills. It's earsplitting to me and not them. It ANNOYS me that other people claim that it's not loud, when it's very loud to me.

Good question...unfortunately I don't have an answer. I despise loud sounds myself, so I understand where you are coming from. Had the misfortune of shopping at an electronic store over the weekend. Seems like those who love loud sounds blast anything they can, & then leave the area with speakers maxed out at top volume. :-( Had to personally seek out & turn down the offending noises. It's so not cool.

I also work with a kid who plays music on his iPhone (with earbuds in place) so loud that I can hear the hissing coming from his ears. Now our office is not a quiet place. There's music playing on the radio, people talking to each other (sometimes from across the room), phones ringing, my headset beeping in my ear with the most annoying tone, etc. Now if I can hear hissing coming out of my co-workers earbuds, it's too loud. Personally, if he wants to go deaf that's on him, but I cannot handle any extra noise especially something that is just as irritating to me as my headset. It's all I can do to keep from bolting out the door or have a meltdown. I also don't care if he is offended because I can hear his noise, & tell him to turn it down. He can't seem to understand that I can hear hissing from across the room. 8O My best advice is to clutch your ears/head with the best grimace you can make.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 10:03 am

kfisherx wrote:
This is a "world" full of people who do not mind and even like noise. So we have to figure out how to cope and adjust in most situations not the other way around.

Unfortunately true. The world isn't going to change for us.
It is rude to call you a baby though.

I have dealt with the headphone thing as well. It's the worst, because I can't get any work done so long as I am hearing it. The same thing happens when people are having conversations around me. I tried wearing headphones myself, without playing any music since that would defeat the purpose, but they didn't help. The only worry I have with ear plugs is people sneaking up on me and startling me, which happens anyway when I'm focused on something, and I hate it. My solution is working from home and avoiding overwhelming situations entirely, but I know not everyone has that option.

Scarecrow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2011, 11:12 am

kfisherx wrote:
Little foam earplugs will save your life. Buy them and use them whenever you are in a crowded place. They are cheap and nobody even has to see them so they cannot annoy anyone. You can still hear people talking to you just fine...

I do this too sometimes and it helps immensely. It makes it much easier to go with my friends to some of the loud places they like to go. I don't like the foam ones though because they hurt my ears and make everything sound a little too muffled. I actually bought a pair of special earplugs designed for musicians, and they were much more comfortable, basically just lowering the volume.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 11:52 am

People will never understand.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 12:58 pm

People do not understand because they probably don't know about sensory issues and because they got used to it, they expect you to get used to it too. Because it doesn't bother them, they don't think it should bother you.

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2011, 1:07 pm

But is'nt that people have something called empathy. So this empathy should help them understand
even though they might not be bothered by the problem themselves.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Mar 2011, 2:38 pm

People's capacity for empathy is in general overrated.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 4:12 pm

Once I asked my husband, "Would you ever hit me?"
He responded, sounding offended and shocked that I would ask that, "Of course not."
"Well, when you yell, it hurts my ears, which hurts my head. It's not uncomfortable. It's painful. Like a sharp pain that stabs through my head. It can cause a migraine that I can't get rid of for hours." I paused to look at his concerned face for a moment and then continued, "So when you yell, it's like you punched me in the face. If you would never hit me because you know that's wrong, you need to stop yelling."

He's not yelled since.

He even got into an argument with his father because we were all walking and his father saw somebody and hollered really loud right next to my ear. I dropped to the ground. His father didn't know, mind you, but I think that would've been inconsiderate and rude to have done to anyone.

Two of my kids also have auditory sensitivity. We have a pleasantly quiet house for having four kids.

whalewatcher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2011, 4:35 pm

When I read a thread like this it's so affirming. Just to have the confirmation, after all these years, that it wasn't just me being deliberately difficult.

The upside of this sensitivity is that I find some sounds utterly sublime, and music can transport me in ways that I don't see happening in many others.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Mar 2011, 6:10 pm

whalewatcher wrote:
When I read a thread like this it's so affirming. Just to have the confirmation, after all these years, that it wasn't just me being deliberately difficult.
It's not your fault, you are not being difficult. That is a profound discovery. :wink:

Quote:
The upside of this sensitivity is that I find some sounds utterly sublime, and music can transport me in ways that I don't see happening in many others.
Yes and yes! Nothing in life touches me as immediately and as deeply as music does.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 6:26 pm

kfisherx wrote:

Little foam earplugs make my ears hurt.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 6:31 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
Had the misfortune of shopping at an electronic store over the weekend. Seems like those who love loud sounds blast anything they can, & then leave the area with speakers maxed out at top volume. :-( Had to personally seek out & turn down the offending noises. It's so not cool.

I have to do that too. I really don't understand why people can't be more considerate about that sort of thing. Surely, it's annoying to a lot of people, not just Aspies, isn't it?

The other thing about electronics stores are those alarms that they have connected to merchandise. Some are so sensitive that they go off as soon as you touch anything. The sales people are so tired of resetting them, that they take forever to reset them.