Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2016, 4:45 pm

5 mins?

10 mins?

is there a way to stop it once it starts.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 4:59 pm

For me usually an hour to two but can be longer. It tends to depend on the person. Nothing tends to stop mine but other people can be able to stop theirs.

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2016, 6:39 pm

A meltdown kinda follows a cycle for me. Typically mine last 30 minutes to an hour. For the first 10 minutes or so I'm practically non-verbal and literally can't process any new information coming in. My thoughts are too chaotic to make much sense of. After some of the physical symptoms subside I can start to get a handle on my thoughts, but I'm not really ready to talk or answer questions. This is probably another 20 minutes or so. The rest of the time is spent collecting myself to the point I feel I can return to 'normalcy.'

As far as stopping a meltdown, for me it has to be early enough in the process. If it's a full fledged meltdown, I'm done. I just have to ride it out and hope it doesn't get worse. Once I'm in 'meltdown mode,' it helps to isolate and go somewhere dark and quiet so the meltdown doesn't further escalate.

Having people asking me what's wrong or even what they can do to help actually makes the meltdown worse for me, at least initially. I can't process my own thoughts let alone their questions. It hasn't been easy for them, but my loved ones are learning it's best to just let me have my moment and then when I'm ready I'll engage them.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 8:46 pm

I don't have meltdowns often, but they generally last 30-60 minutes. Once it starts I can't stop it, I just have to be alone for a while.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 10:01 pm

Depends on the person and the reason your having a meltdown in the first place

Mine can be like a earthquake or a hurricane, there will be periods where it stops or calms down and then gets worse or have aftershocks

Breathing techniques, Deep pressure therapy, walking, and time can stop meltdowns but usually once they start they will eventually stop.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

quelo
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Mar 2016, 10:52 pm

I've had meltdowns go from really short time, and I mean they're almost over before they actually begin, to a couple that were well past the half hour mark. Always thought they were some kind of extreme anxiety attacks or something.

On the first case, If I walk away soon enough to somewhere I can be alone (restrooms work well), it's enough, 5 mins and I'm back.

The other ones… were real bad. Can count them with one hand, and the embarrassment felt is still etched in my head. Those, I don't know if they can be stopped, or how. They just ride me and then they're over, just creep on me unexpectedly when the pressure is on. In school, at 9-10 years old I had what I remember to be the worst one, spanning almost a whole 1hr class, where I even barfed at one point.

What I've seen, is that as you grow older, they seem to be less often, and not last as long. It's been several years since my last meltdown.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 9:23 am

It's become occasional now, as I've been learning to deal with things otherwise. But generally it's about 30-60 minutes. Whether just completely shutting out everyone and everything, or crying a lot.

I don't think it's a good idea to stop a meltdown, as for some of us (humans), it's our only way to express how we feel. I remember that the more I used to (try to) stop it, the worst it was, blubbering and it could last for two hours (depending on cause of stress). I find that it can pass faster if hugged by someone highly trusted.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.