Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2011, 7:48 pm

NcNbl wrote:
i know that it might be a weird thing to hear but not like its really gonna happen.. i just really want to know what it is like..
so that i could understand things and also help with things..
and i just really have a certain affinity for it without even being related to anyone in the spectrum.

Find an empty storefront that faces a busy street and lock yourself in alone and throw away the key.

Then you get to watch everyone live their lives, but you are unable to interact or participate in anyway.

That is what its like.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:49 pm

Molecular_Biologist wrote:
NcNbl wrote:
i know that it might be a weird thing to hear but not like its really gonna happen.. i just really want to know what it is like..
so that i could understand things and also help with things..
and i just really have a certain affinity for it without even being related to anyone in the spectrum.

Find an empty storefront that faces a busy street and lock yourself in alone and throw away the key.

Then you get to watch everyone live their lives, but you are unable to interact or participate in anyway.

That is what its like.

Yes.
Then play some recordings of people talking and various noises reeeeally loudly.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Mar 2011, 8:01 pm

NcNbl wrote:
i just really want to know what it is like..
You make friends easily? Well, wave goodbye to all that stuff.
You're confident with strangers? Sorry, that's gone.
Ok with starting two-way conversations? Nah; past history now.
Love being in a crowd of cheering people? Oh dear, you really won't like that now.
Never bothered by the lighting in supermarkets? Heh - well, you are now.
Feel nauseous when someone touches your arm unexpectedly? No, I thought probably not - but you will now!
Not bothered by patterns in brick walls? Oh boy, are you in for a ride.
Pebbled beaches don't 'flash' rapidly changing patterns at you as your eyes move? Bingo - you've won another prize!
Speak fluently at a moment's notice? Ho hum, get used to clamming up and trying to force out the first word.
Feel like you're alone in a roomful of people? Of course not - but guess what? You now have your own private bubble.
Why would you want to count things? Well you wouldn't, unless it mattered - but now you do whether it matters or not.
Feel physically agitated if things aren't lined up 'right'? Unlikely, of course - until now.
Able to not get hypnotically distracted by symmetry in random things you come across? Well most people don't - but you do now!
Not bothered by a hanging leaf, turning left/right/left/LEFT/right/left in the wind? Yay - it's funtime!
Oh - and get used to the idea of everyone shouting, because they will, they will... (you previously knew this as 'talking normally')

You want more? I got plenty more here... :lol:

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Mar 2011, 9:20 pm

Until I was diagnosed with Asperger's/autism, I used to think I was the only person in the world who could possibly think the way I did. I didn't understand why I was the way I was. I always preferred my interests to socializing, and I saw that nearly everyone else around me socialized. However, I enjoyed the way I was---and I still do.

I realized it was eccentric that I would sit around in my free time and make endless lists of statistics on my interests while others were out engaging in social activities. But again, I was enjoying it---but I didn't understand why I was this way.

Whereas a lot of people would like to trade their autism away, I would never trade my autism away. I thank God I was made autistic. I enjoy it---although there are plenty of challenges---but doesn't everyone have challenges?

Autism has allowed me exciting interests and talents. I am a talent skill autistic savant. In fact, at least 10% of autistics have savant skills. I can play any musical instrument I become fascinated with in little time and without lessons. And, I can memorize great amounts of statistics related to my interests---like roller coasters.

For me, autism creates within me a highly concentrated focus beam into my interests. And because of my great focus, I prefer not to socialize (and socializing is awkward for me and often very overwhelming). Certain sounds, lights, and other sensory things can cause me challenges. I have to have certain amounts of private time in order to refuel myself.

So even though there are challenges, I enjoy being autistic. If reincarnation exists, I pray I come back autistic in the next life---and hopefully with the same interests.

Last edited by glider18 on 21 Mar 2011, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

quietbird
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2011, 10:43 pm

I'm with Glider18 on this one, and to respond to Cornflake's negative assessment:

Did someone just give you an extremely difficulty, technical, and interesting problem to solve? Awesome, because you're going to be happiest tucked away concentrating on the best solution and it'll come easy to you because you can just sift through thoughts and ideas like nothing.

Lonely on a Friday night? No, you're not. You're glad to be alone because you can get to cracking on the 78 things that you find totally awesome and wouldn't have enough time for if you had 10 lives to live.

Bored? No, you're not. You don't really even know how that would feel.

Having problems remembering if that sign 20 miles back said to go left or right? Oh, no, you're not. A picture is in your head and so you just pull that up and look at it, getting your answer.

Need to read a quote from a book you just read? No trouble finding it, you can remember the exact spot on the page it was on and which side of the book. You flip through staring at that spot and a few moments later the quote is right there for you.

Is your car making a funny noise? No trouble, even if you're not the mechanic type, your logic is strong and with some quick research and solid reasoning you'll probably have a fair idea of where it's coming from and whether it's a serious problem or not.

Do you need a friend to edit your essays? Not anymore, your writing is strong and in fact you feel as though the only way to really express yourself is by banging out words on a keyboard.

Have a crazy ex who won't leave you alone and harasses your current significant other? No, because you'd never have even talked to that person in the first place because they freaked you out.

----

I'm not saying it's all golden cherries here, but I would never, ever give up Asperger's. It's *who I am*. I can't even conceive of being a social extrovert who gets recharged by hanging out in a loud bar and discussing this week's soap opera (oh, they are all soap operas).

I think the OP is right, it's better over here.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 11:13 pm

quietbird wrote:
I'm with Glider18 on this one, and to respond to Cornflake's negative assessment:

Did someone just give you an extremely difficulty, technical, and interesting problem to solve? Awesome, because you're going to be happiest tucked away concentrating on the best solution and it'll come easy to you because you can just sift through thoughts and ideas like nothing.

Lonely on a Friday night? No, you're not. You're glad to be alone because you can get to cracking on the 78 things that you find totally awesome and wouldn't have enough time for if you had 10 lives to live.

Bored? No, you're not. You don't really even know how that would feel.

Having problems remembering if that sign 20 miles back said to go left or right? Oh, no, you're not. A picture is in your head and so you just pull that up and look at it, getting your answer.

Need to read a quote from a book you just read? No trouble finding it, you can remember the exact spot on the page it was on and which side of the book. You flip through staring at that spot and a few moments later the quote is right there for you.

Is your car making a funny noise? No trouble, even if you're not the mechanic type, your logic is strong and with some quick research and solid reasoning you'll probably have a fair idea of where it's coming from and whether it's a serious problem or not.

Do you need a friend to edit your essays? Not anymore, your writing is strong and in fact you feel as though the only way to really express yourself is by banging out words on a keyboard.

Have a crazy ex who won't leave you alone and harasses your current significant other? No, because you'd never have even talked to that person in the first place because they freaked you out.

----

I'm not saying it's all golden cherries here, but I would never, ever give up Asperger's. It's *who I am*. I can't even conceive of being a social extrovert who gets recharged by hanging out in a loud bar and discussing this week's soap opera (oh, they are all soap operas).

I think the OP is right, it's better over here.

Not all of us have the uncanny abilities that you describe. And not all of us are happy being alone or with few friendships. I do have some skills that may be related to AS, like the ability to think logically and assess situations from a logical and clear-headed standpoint. I'm also a good writer and artist. It's hard to say that I would want to trade away the abilities I do have, but it sure would be nice to be able to joke around with friends and have a pleasant conversation without freaking out.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2011, 11:19 pm

quietbird wrote:

You won't have a crazy ex, because there is a high chance of going your entire life without any kind of romantic relationship.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 1:39 am

And a significant chance of your not really minding that. Most Aspies aren't asexual, but most asexuals are Aspies.

There are parts I would never give up in a million years. There are parts I hate but also wouldn't give up because they go with things I wouldn't give up. And then there are the parts that make me want to bang my head against a wall. (And then there's the part where that's not hyperbole.)

But none of what people on this thread are saying is guaranteed. Like, I get bored easily and often have no clue what a sign 20 miles back said. Of course, I can also joke around with friends. Of course, I have to opt for some nontraditional strategies. Go for misfits, go for people who belong to a different social hierarchy, go for very nice people, meet with people one-on-one rather than in groups. NEVER try to befriend the alpha of your peer group (I learned that the hard way). I love talking to people... every once in a while. But like sugar, too much isn't healthy.

I would love to be NT! It would be absolutely awesome! But only for a little while. I don't think I would want to live another way, but I'm curious. I recognize that NTs have experiences that give their lives meaning and fill them with awe and wonder and joy, but which I will never experience. (But I have my own joys NTs will never know.) It would be really great to experience those things (and the other parts, too), but not worth permanently giving up everything I know and love.

Some Aspies find that grocery stores are hell on earth. I derive such an incredible enjoyment from a certain one... I'm really hoping it can stay in business... funny how intense a love that can be. But it does have a dark side: a cafe I went to a few times changed hands. I was so incredibly disappointed when I went there and found out it could never, ever be the same. AAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!! !! NOOOOOOOOO!! !! ! But then, have you ever derived pleasure from the mere fact that you've been sitting in the same position for a while, or that you're making exactly the same repetitive motion over and over again? I wouldn't give this up, but I do recognize that life would be worth living without it.

NOT A DOCTOR

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:51 am

purchase wrote:
Hi NcNbl!

Are you certain you don't have Asperger's? It seems like anybody drawn so strongly to a community of people with Asperger's and other autistic spectrum conditions might be on the autistic spectrum themselves.

well i took the aspie quiz, i got about 40 aspie points out of 200, if i remember correctly, that took from NT talent in the graph and everything else is in the edge of NT traits side. though i always thought i have ADHD but i failed that test too..

and i worked in events and PR management, i teach, i host, i act, i have a lot of friends, i have multiple adoptive family friends around the world.. so i think i'm severely sociable to be an aspie. and i kinda can read people. and some people even say i manipulate people without knowing it. but i really do admire a lot of aspie traits that i dont have because of how i am and i admire a lot about how some aspies are because they have AS.

i already realize this during my first month here, i have this I think I like Aspies and to prove i'm NT in a way and i want to help with as little as i can i made this Anything you would like to ask an NT. though i've been getting that a lot lately, some people think i am an aspie because on how i behave here, well i think i just know how to suit where i am, and especially here, i am at home and myself.

Thank you everyone, glad some of you liked it. they all sound like quite an experience that i will never have, that there are people who does and see everything so differently away from what and how i just thought things could be or used to, especially those of the profound and emotional nature. being whatever have its ups and downs, its up to us how we could make it work for us and how we could like it or at least live with it. and even if we are similar to a certain set of people we are still different from each other, that things will always be different to someone else than what we think. and through that thought, anything bad could be good in a different perspective and that translates to me as hope and understanding..

blank_page
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2011, 7:20 am

Cornflake wrote:
You make friends easily? Well, wave goodbye to all that stuff.
You're confident with strangers? Sorry, that's gone.
Ok with starting two-way conversations? Nah; past history now.
Love being in a crowd of cheering people? Oh dear, you really won't like that now.
Never bothered by the lighting in supermarkets? Heh - well, you are now.
Feel nauseous when someone touches your arm unexpectedly? No, I thought probably not - but you will now!
Not bothered by patterns in brick walls? Oh boy, are you in for a ride.
Pebbled beaches don't 'flash' rapidly changing patterns at you as your eyes move? Bingo - you've won another prize!
Speak fluently at a moment's notice? Ho hum, get used to clamming up and trying to force out the first word.
Feel like you're alone in a roomful of people? Of course not - but guess what? You now have your own private bubble.
Why would you want to count things? Well you wouldn't, unless it mattered - but now you do whether it matters or not.
Feel physically agitated if things aren't lined up 'right'? Unlikely, of course - until now.
Able to not get hypnotically distracted by symmetry in random things you come across? Well most people don't - but you do now!
Not bothered by a hanging leaf, turning left/right/left/LEFT/right/left in the wind? Yay - it's funtime!
Oh - and get used to the idea of everyone shouting, because they will, they will... (you previously knew this as 'talking normally')

You want more? I got plenty more here... :lol:

Thanks for rubbing it in.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 7:44 am

buy a calculator...get some books..learn

you dont want to be a tool.
speaking from being one

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 8:24 am

this may be a first for autism but this is not a new phenominom.have your heard of body identity integrity disorder.this means people who want to be disabled usualy amputees and paraplegics.i have seen post on non specific disability forums where people amputated there own limbs.there is a website that specializes in this called transabled.org

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 8:25 am

this may be a first for autism but this is not a new phenominom.have your heard of body identity integrity disorder.this means people who want to be disabled usualy amputees and paraplegics.i have seen post on non specific disability forums where people amputated there own limbs.there is a website that specializes in this called transabled.org

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Mar 2011, 8:40 am

quietbird wrote:
:oops: Yeah, I guess it was - but I specifically wanted to point out some of the darker, more troubling aspects.
In retrospect it would have been better if I'd balanced it with some of the fun aspects - but you and Glider18 have done that, and I agree entirely with both of you.
There are definitely plus points too. :lol:

(apologies also to blank_page; hope things are clearer now)

Nickay12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2011, 11:08 am

I think it's awesome that you think like that, It's kind of mental harmony. It's a trait that I really respect in NT's and am also rather jealous of. I'm open and closed minded, its a contradiction of which confuses me at the best of times.

Maybe you're like a super NT all of the good traits of a Neurotypical but with the diverse mind of Aspergian. :oD

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:29 pm

Nickay12 wrote:
Maybe you're like a super NT all of the good traits of a Neurotypical but with the diverse mind of Aspergian. :oD

awww.. hi Nickay12, that's very nice of you to say.. i say that as i'm borderline everything.. :lol: be it psychological, neurological or psychiatric.. hehehe.. aww.. u'r new? and my thread made you post here and say that, i appreciate it... *----('',)----* hug.. :)