Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:40 am

People pinpointing on a fault and laughing? For example yesterday I was helping dad hammer a wall with nails I'd hand him the nails he'd move a few inches yet I'd stay in the same spot and he kept telling me move with him, then I'd be right on top of him while he was hammering and I was too close. Dad and mom laughed at this thinking it was funny. It kind of is but still it's sad they pinpoint on things I do and find them funny since other people don't seem to do them. :-) My clumsiness gets them laughing as well not seeing where I am going. I some times trip over my own 2 feet.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

i always think if someones laughing at the little mistakes i make it's better than laughing at the big ones.

i'm superclumsy.
i fell down a hill the other day when running.
literally down a hill.
people laughed and so did i.
if you laugh at yourself it takes the power away from other people.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 10:05 am

Not anymore.

If someone is openly nasty to me (rare at my age) I give it right back. That usually prevents future nastiness because I have a rather deep well of rage because of all the previous abuse. I let a little of that creep into my eyes and the transformation from meek to psycho is unnerving. Sort of like the scene in Lord Of The Rings where Bilbo asks Frodo if he can hold the ring one last time.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 10:47 am

People mostly pick on me for not talking. It's really irritating.
Usually I also laugh at myself for other silly things, like dropping food on the floor every single blessed time that I cook.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 10:51 am

Rarely, but it still happens sometimes.

BonnieBlueWater
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2011, 11:35 am

Maybe they're not "picking on you." Maybe their laugh and pointing out what you do that is unique to you - is a show of love.

Maybe they are amused and endeared by your unexpected way of dealing with proximity & personal space - and it makes them laugh in a happy way.
With my son -- he has a different way of expressing himself and slightly off-kilter way of turning a phrase - we laugh because it's funny and very endearing. I wouldn't want him any other way - and I LOVE HIS WAY of expressing himself.

Assuming your parents are similar to most parents.... they love you and if they did not like what you were doing, or were trying to correct you - they would not be laughing. I'll bet your dad finds it endearing that you're "right on top of him" and "too close" in your attempt to figure out what is the appropriate distance.

Interpreting laughter is very tricky.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:07 pm

Not anymore so much. It was more often when I was in high school and before and after I graduated, it decreased. People still laugh at things I say but I don't see it as me being picked on. I'm just naturally funny. Things I say or do. But if I try and be funny, I'm not funny but if I am not trying to be funny, I'm funny.

FortMacAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2011, 12:47 pm

Kids used to pick on mercilessly. I used to get teased for not joining in playtime at recess. Reading by myself was easier than playing games with others. I also used to have some problems with aggression, so sometimes the treatment led to fights

Once puberty hit and I discovered that the routine of lifting weights and practicing martial arts centered me, the teasing stopped. Now, most people would consider it hazardous to tease me. I look like I might pull someone's head off for no reason, but that appearance is just the mask I learned to wear to keep people back. I'm not really like that at all.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:42 pm

BonnieBlueWater wrote:
Maybe they're not "picking on you." Maybe their laugh and pointing out what you do that is unique to you - is a show of love.

Maybe they are amused and endeared by your unexpected way of dealing with proximity & personal space - and it makes them laugh in a happy way.
With my son -- he has a different way of expressing himself and slightly off-kilter way of turning a phrase - we laugh because it's funny and very endearing. I wouldn't want him any other way - and I LOVE HIS WAY of expressing himself.

Assuming your parents are similar to most parents.... they love you and if they did not like what you were doing, or were trying to correct you - they would not be laughing. I'll bet your dad finds it endearing that you're "right on top of him" and "too close" in your attempt to figure out what is the appropriate distance.

Interpreting laughter is very tricky.

You are right perhaps it's a quality they don't mind. They didn't yell at it just laughed it off as "That's Brandy" sort of way. Your view makes since though thanks! Also as someone else said laughing at your own mistakes is good. :-)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:49 pm

Not since I've gone from being a punk rocker, back to being myself as you all know me today.

zukias
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Mar 2011, 3:01 pm

people usually pick up on the fact i barely talk aswell, and my repetitive eating habbits, my mum would always laugh when she heard what i was having for dinner again :P I don't mind people making fun of me in a jokey way

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 4:13 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Not anymore.

If someone is openly nasty to me (rare at my age) I give it right back. That usually prevents future nastiness because I have a rather deep well of rage because of all the previous abuse. I let a little of that creep into my eyes and the transformation from meek to psycho is unnerving. Sort of like the scene in Lord Of The Rings where Bilbo asks Frodo if he can hold the ring one last time.

Shared experience. I don't have to frown, or move a mucle, just direct my eyes directly at someone when that rage builds up, and it's like magic. But it happened as a kid too,I got a lot of "wow ok sorry" out of the blue and tried and failed to reproduce the "stare" so i could actually use it...But it doesn't come at will :)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 4:22 pm

ediself wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Not anymore.

Shared experience. I don't have to frown, or move a mucle, just direct my eyes directly at someone when that rage builds up, and it's like magic. But it happened as a kid too,I got a lot of "wow ok sorry" out of the blue and tried and failed to reproduce the "stare" so i could actually use it...But it doesn't come at will :)

I can't fake it. You actually have to genuinely piss me off. Then I have to work at holding it back. It's a theory I have about eye contact. My eye contact sucks unless you are actually the focal point of my attention. So if I'm talking about the weather (minor special interest, easy) my eyes drift around. But if I'm talking about YOU specifically, I lock on. So when someone pushes the anger button, my focus becomes all about them, the eyes lock on and bore right down to their soul's nexus of existence (a little dramatic flair there :wink:)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 4:28 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
People pinpointing on a fault and laughing? For example yesterday I was helping dad hammer a wall with nails I'd hand him the nails he'd move a few inches yet I'd stay in the same spot and he kept telling me move with him, then I'd be right on top of him while he was hammering and I was too close. Dad and mom laughed at this thinking it was funny. It kind of is but still it's sad they pinpoint on things I do and find them funny since other people don't seem to do them. :-) My clumsiness gets them laughing as well not seeing where I am going. I some times trip over my own 2 feet.

Yep. Me too! I am so clumsy it's not even funny. Okay, that sounds like a bad pun, but I know what you mean about constantly tripping and dropping stuff. I have this remote control to my television and without even trying, it will just jump out of my hands and fall to the floor. It's done that many times. Heres to Sony for making an indestructible remote control!
I am trying to be more careful. Used to be, I would drop it once a day, at the least, then I got worried it would break, so now, I am being extra careful with it, making an effort to hold onto it and not putting it on this little table it doesn't stay on too well.
My mom likes to laugh and make a joke about mistakes and clumsiness. She does it to put people at ease and get them laughing. Sometimes I get so frustrated with my own lack of coordination, I don't feel like laughing. It would be better to laugh and make light of it. I get too annoyed at myself for being clumsy in the first place.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 4:35 pm

Not anymore, since I don't associate with anyone, but I was a lot throughout school. And I'm sure if I went back to a regular school I would be again.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 5:23 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
ediself wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Not anymore.

I can't fake it. You actually have to genuinely piss me off. Then I have to work at holding it back. It's a theory I have about eye contact. My eye contact sucks unless you are actually the focal point of my attention. So if I'm talking about the weather (minor special interest, easy) my eyes drift around. But if I'm talking about YOU specifically, I lock on. So when someone pushes the anger button, my focus becomes all about them, the eyes lock on and bore right down to their soul's nexus of existence (a little dramatic flair there :wink:)

Please, don't quote me when I type "mucle"... it's embarassing :D
Yes, it's all about the megahawk focus. You're MY prey. Run or be eaten. I'm a thinnish blonde girl (I should say woman but ah well) , and somehow they are still unsettled by the "boring down to their soul's nexus of existence" that I do. (this is the name I'm giving it from now on, otherwise knows as BDSNE. Which sounds kinky.)