Black and white thinking and "pet theories"--lame

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 9:01 am

Am I the only one who gets discouraged when faced with the tendency (which we should probably expect, all things considered) of people in this forum to think in terms of absolutes? Also, am I the only one who grows very weary of the "pet theories" that are presented on this forum so often that are based on a completely distorted understanding of autism/psychology/the brain/etc.? These two things--b&w thinking and "pet theories"--tend to exacerbate each other.

The type of thinking I'm talking about:

Do I have ADHD OR Autism? Do I have depression OR anxiety?

Because this theory isn't universally true, it's universally invalid.

The doctor said I don't have Asperger's. He's a fraud/quack/jerk.

Autistics don't lack empathy, they have too much of it. I know this because I'm, like, super emotional.

I have a theory on the "cause" of autism. You see, there's this one gene...

There's so much misunderstanding out there, so much misinterpretation of reality. So much rejection of generality as the source of knowledge.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 9:13 am

They are to be expected as rigid thinking is common among persons with autism.

Maybe your raising awareness of this problem will encourage people to think about their own black and white thinking. I think it's a shame that most of the PPR lot don't venture into this forum and probably won't ever see it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 9:50 am

I had no idea this was B&W thinking. :?

I do think doctors are quacks when they are ignorant on something like AS so they say someone doesn't have it just because they didn't meet the doctor's prescription of it.

PPR, lot of people are B&W in it, AS or not. That's why it's a strong topic because it brings out strong feelings and people have a hard time accepting different point of views and they think they are right than seeing it's just an opinion. That's why I despise that area.

If anyone accuses me of being B&W, I ask how am I being that and what is the gray. But in my defense, everyone is B&W because I see it all the time. Even I can be at times. Some things are B&W and some things should be that too with a few exceptions so not all B&W or else there be no exceptions.

25 Mar 2011, 9:51 am

the title of this thread made me think it was discussing those books "All Cats Have Asperger's" and "All Dogs Have ADHD"