Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2011, 7:31 pm

In junior high and high school...not until the teacher allowed me to pursue an interest in lifting weights. When people saw I was serious they started cheering me on. One guy who was usually a bully started spotting me. That was my senior year - a great year indeed! Most of high school was great!

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 8:13 pm

I tried to avoid it whenever I could.... didn't like getting changed around others and they were rough most of the time, afraid of getting hit hard by the ball. :roll:
When I had no choice, it didn't suck 100% of the time, but especially when it came to badminton.....I suck more than anyone else at that particular sport.

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 8:15 pm

I always participated in gym class.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 8:24 pm

I hated PE. I didn't participate at all until grade 11 (final year of HS in Quebec) when I realized a bad mark in gym could drag my average down enough to prevent me getting into college. So I grudgingly participated, in as minimal a way as possible. I ended up doing pretty well actually. I am somewhat athletic, not a jock, but I hate team sports. Grade 11 mostly was about fitness training, and it was a lot of individual working out, so that is probably why it wasn't quite as bad. I wish it had been that way the whole way through. I have no qualms with getting a good work out, but PE is a bad environment for a guy like me

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:26 am

Just curious, but was anyone else instinctively afraid of the ball? I remember seeing all these flying projectiles coming at me and the first thought was... RUN! Get outta there! And for the longest time, I couldn't understand why anyone would find any sort of ball sport fun. You could get hurt that way!

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:31 am

syrella wrote:
Just curious, but was anyone else instinctively afraid of the ball? I remember seeing all these flying projectiles coming at me and the first thought was... RUN! Get outta there! And for the longest time, I couldn't understand why anyone would find any sort of ball sport fun. You could get hurt that way!

Yes. I got yelled at for closing my eyes like a sissy. :oops:

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:48 am

Yensid wrote:
syrella wrote:

Yes. I got yelled at for closing my eyes like a sissy. :oops:

Haha. Sounds familiar. I remember my dad trying to teach me how to catch the ball, and I'd always close my eyes or duck or try to get out of the way.

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2011, 7:51 am

Luckily Gym class where I went to HS wasn't too demanding...we basically picked our share of games to play in a period and went on our way...i actually enjored badminton. I was also a huge basketball fan, so I loved playing bball. I even started at one point for our Middle School team at point guard...was never that good though. I actually enjoyed gym more in elementary school where we played games like puff ball and kickball. Puffball is similar to prison ball for those " in the know."

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2011, 11:06 am

I didn't like the team sports they made us play in elementary- jr. high school. I couldn't avoid them, but the teachers knew something was up with me and my feelings and tried giving me alternate things to do. I really enjoyed the "free play" periods and the 50-yard dash in elementary school, but hated Sideline Basketball where everybody was in two teams, and each person got up to shoot a basket, and the team that got it done the fastest won.

In jr. high, I switched to an adaptive gym class after a marking period or two, which featured 3-5 students with various disabilities/ quirks and a really nice teacher. It was noncompetitive and was a nice break in the school day.

My high school offered dance as a phys ed option, so not everybody had to take the same stereotypical gym class. I took dance class as a sophomore, and then learned that the regular gym class made you pick different sports/ workouts each marking period. As a junior and senior, I was in the regular phys ed class and always picked the non-competitive options. (Frisbee, aerobics, folk dancing, team building, etc.)

dkittens
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2011, 5:55 pm

My gym teacher figures I have Autism (even though I haven't got diagnosed - yet) and keeps the big kids off of me and helps me out. First year I have had to take Gym (Stupid FL state mandates).

ElementalChaos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2011, 6:04 pm

I'm in 6th grade and actually do not, I use the extra time to finish homework in Planning Center. Really helps take off that pressure :D

I had to attend it for first half of the school year though, and it really sucked. I was always bullied by the bigger kids :(

dkittens

30 Mar 2011, 6:07 pm

ElementalChaos wrote:
I'm in 6th grade and actually do not, I use the extra time to finish homework in Planning Center. Really helps take off that pressure :D

I had to attend it for first half of the school year though, and it really sucked. I was always bullied by the bigger kids :(

That must really suck. The first time someone teased me in PE (I have been teased in a lot of other places too) I slapped him in the face, and I did not get in trouble, he did!

ElementalChaos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2011, 6:13 pm

dkittens wrote:
ElementalChaos wrote:

That must really suck. The first time someone teased me in PE (I have been teased in a lot of other places too) I slapped him in the face, and I did not get in trouble, he did!

Heh. One time I'd finally had enough of this one guy teasing me, so I pinned him down and kicked him in the balls. And he started crying. He was twice my size O_O

And his "bags" were bleeding. That's GOTTA hurt, I actually feel a little sorry for the kid. xD

dkittens

30 Mar 2011, 6:16 pm

ElementalChaos wrote:
dkittens wrote:
ElementalChaos wrote:

Heh. One time I'd finally had enough of this one guy teasing me, so I pinned him down and kicked him in the balls. And he started crying. He was twice my size O_O

And his "bags" were bleeding. That's GOTTA hurt, I actually feel a little sorry for the kid. xD

That just made my day! I so want to do that to the kid always bullying me in school. I closed a door on his fingers and told him that's what it feels like when you bully me...

ElementalChaos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2011, 6:18 pm

dkittens wrote:
ElementalChaos wrote:
dkittens wrote:
ElementalChaos wrote:

That just made my day! I so want to do that to the kid always bullying me in school. I closed a door on his fingers and told him that's what it feels like when you bully me...

I hope he gets the message xD

dkittens

30 Mar 2011, 6:20 pm

ElementalChaos wrote:
dkittens wrote:
ElementalChaos wrote:
dkittens wrote:
ElementalChaos wrote:

I hope he gets the message xD

He kind of did. He now gets other kids to tease me for him. There is no way to get these idiots to stop!