Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2004, 3:17 pm

Hiya! I need some advice. for the past two weeks i have been have seemingly normal dreams. except one of the people in them is named Theodor. I don't know theodor personally, and i'm pretty sure he is a creation of my imagination. but latley i'll wake up, or I'll be doing something and i'll think "Theodor likes Pizza too!" or i'll walk into my brothers room and i'll think "when is theodore coming over again?" or I'll be playing a video game or watching a movie, and i'll think, "This is theodores favorite game/movie." I try to tell myself he's not real,and Ive never met him before, but I keep thinking those things. Its kind of weird.
doyou guys think i'm a freak for this? is there anything i should do about this or what?
it makes me feel really weird and messed up!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :oops:

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2004, 7:26 pm

I think you should talk about and/or "to" Theodor a lot in front of people (i.e. your parents) and then they'll think there's something wrong. They'll probably tell you to stop. That's what happened with Mighty Wings (my imaginary friend from when I was 7-9, even though I created him when I was 6). My mom found out about him and noticed I was spending a lot of time "with" him. He then left for a day and came back the next (I think it was only a day.). When I was about 9, I forgot about him (and he hasn't "returned" since). Either that, or try to make other friends (That way, you'll be so preoccupied with them that you'll forget about Theodor. [It worked for me! I wanted this "popular" girl to like me so much in the 4th grade that I forgot all about Mighty Wings.]) And no, you aren't a freak.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2004, 9:05 pm

thankyou! I think I'll do that. its just I'm really worried about it. and in a way i don't want Theodor to leave, but then again, i'll be glad when he's gone. i'll do that.

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jul 2004, 3:13 am

Question... if you had a friend you liked a lot, but if people knew about them they'd take your friend away and kill them, would telling people about them be a good thing? I understand that friends, even imaginary ones, come and go, but there's nothing to be worried about if you have one. Well... there is one thing to be worried about. I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't find killing imaginary friends to be a bad thing. So to slightly parrot Mich's status quo statement:

I think you shouldn't talk to Theodore out loud in front of a lot of people (i.e. your parents). They might thing there's something wrong if you do, or that you can't tell what's real and what's not. They'll probably tell you to stop, as you challenge their own notions of stability. They might be bothered enough to prompt them to hurt you, or your friend as a consequence. Do try to make other friends, but remember that unlike real friends, imaginary friends won't leave you unless you want them to do so. I still haven't figured out the ethics of leaving an imaginary friend for a real one: on one hand we can only divide our attention so many ways, only so many hours in the day, and you can't bum a ride downtown from your imaginary friend. On the other hand, unlike real friends, imaginary friends depend on you for their pseudo existence entirely. (Unless you can find someone to help you imagine them--group stories rock!)

Best thing I ever did for my imaginary friends? (according to them) Made myself a sanctuary in my head, meditation style. For me a vast plain ending in a giant green gnarled tree leaning over seaside cliffs. In such a mental retreat I can fuly interact with them without worrying about upsetting other people who do not appreciate incongruity, and with the ability to be myself in there as well.

No, I don't think you're a freak. Having such a friend is rare, but it doesn't mean you are messed up. If you do feel embarassed about it, or worried about getting alienated for it, then just remember that only you can "see" them. 8) Nobody else needs to know. Just think of it like a mental exercise: your mind probably just needs to see yourself from a more objective point of view for some reason, from a friend's perspective.

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

09 Jul 2004, 4:07 am

That sounds neat! Even though I can understand how you can be worried about that. I wish I had a cool imaginary friend like that.

I really like dreaming, especially when I can remember my dreams. Alex, my co-admin here on WrongPlanet.net, makes fun of me because I'm always taking naps. But I take naps when I feel bad or am tired or just about any time. Not very good for my sleep cycle, but it makes me feel a lot better. I guess like some people eat when they feel depressed, I try to sleep when I'm feeling depressed. Lets me clear my mind and have an opportunity to dream. Sometimes my dreams are really entertaining and/or revealing/insightful.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2004, 4:29 am

Naps are the shiznit... and they're trendy now too:

http://www.metronaps.com/

I have imaginary friends. Nothing wrong with that. It is unusual but do not take this as a negative thing. You're not a freak.

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

09 Jul 2004, 5:35 am

Torley_Wong wrote:
Naps are the shiznit... and they're trendy now too:

http://www.metronaps.com/

Eek! $14 for a 20 minute nap is pretty expensive!

Those pods look spiffy though.

Taineyah
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jul 2004, 6:47 pm

I've had imaginary friends my whole life. I've never been able to sleep well and I talk to them when I'm lying awake at night. It's nearly as refreshing (for me, at least) as sleep.

TyroneShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2004, 8:52 pm

I had an imaginary friend - he had a rather bizarre name "Familiar Pigeon". I think I may have been exposed to mercury in-utero :lol: . My wee brother has an imaginary friend, Wilbur - you know, the good kind you can scapegoat for your transgressions :wink: ! A clever fellow is my brother. Has anyone seen the film "Drop Dead Fred"? It is a wonderful story about a girl attempting to rid herself of an imaginary friend.

Rik Mayall [Fred] is my favourite actor!! !! !

RoboticSquirrel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jul 2004, 9:14 pm

Yeah, I have some. But it's not like I talk to myself to speak to them. I keep our "chat" to not talking in reality, so people don't think I'm wierd. I don't have an Imaginary world or anything like that, though. Speaking of which, I'm wondering who does?

Taineyah
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jul 2004, 10:26 pm

I have an imaginary universe, although I stole it. I use the Marvel comic book universe as my setting.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2004, 12:54 am

Question is, WHICH Marvel universe? ;)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2004, 8:14 pm

Mine is Austin Powers, baby! Need I say more?

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2004, 8:32 pm

Taineyah wrote:
I have an imaginary universe, although I stole it. I use the Marvel comic book universe as my setting.

I have one, too, but mine is this universe, with some weird stuff, like 4-story UNDERGROUND houses and computer wallpaper that is also a short video. It also has some pieces of other universes.

:!: Mich :?:

focused
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jul 2004, 1:14 am

I have never been good at telling the difference between dreams and reality. I once was obsessed with lucid dreaming and out of body experiences. I started having some bizarre dreams and had to give up the dreamworld for a while. I think my interest in dreams was actually an attempt to run away from reality. Now I try to make the dreamworld and reality the same thing. I have never been good at telling the difference between dreams and reality.

asperoasis
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2004, 2:53 pm

I never had any, just talked to myself alot though. I guess I never felt the need to, cause I had myself to talk to. ha ha ha! :)

asperoasis