Anyone here has trouble with "tip-of-the-tongue" o

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Anty28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2012, 7:02 am

Every time I am on the Internet or I read a dictionary, I have urges to search for a given word that has to do with what I'm reading/watching, then I forget it the following second if I get distracted. I also have problems with my flow of thought. I think a lot, especially when I'm going to sleep, and it bothers me when I don't remember what I was thinking. All of these are especially annoying, I can spend several minutes trying to remember what I was thinking at that moment (even though it is often not important at all) and I seem to have more trouble dealing with "tip-of-the-tongue" phenomena than other people do.

What do you think ?

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 7:54 am

Anty28 wrote:
Every time I am on the Internet or I read a dictionary, I have urges to search for a given word that has to do with what I'm reading/watching, then I forget it the following second if I get distracted. I also have problems with my flow of thought. I think a lot, especially when I'm going to sleep, and it bothers me when I don't remember what I was thinking. All of these are especially annoying, I can spend several minutes trying to remember what I was thinking at that moment (even though it is often not important at all) and I seem to have more trouble dealing with "tip-of-the-tongue" phenomena than other people do.

What do you think ?

I have exactly those same problems. I have a real issue with not knowing the names of people I'm talking about in conversations, even if it is a name I'm very familiar with... and usually I have to just drop the topic, because the name never comes to me.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 9:21 am

I have those issues all the time, most noticeably with people's names. Too bad I can't just print off the image in my head to show everyone--"this guy".

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 12:53 pm

Me too. Especially the "tip-of-the-tongue" phenomena. Poor word retrieval (Anomic aphasia) bad short term memory and really bad working memory. but I have an excellent long term memory. I remember my childhood like it was yesterday. I remember what I was thinking and feeling when I was 2 years old. Not too many people can do that. I also have scored in the 98th percentile on IQ tests although my memory problems and not being able to find the words to describe what I am thinking make me feel really stupid. BTW I am in my 60's, but I have always been that way so it has nothing to do with my age.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 4:24 pm

to the OP, constantly. I wonder if it has anything to do with being anxious.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 11:36 pm

I have that problem, too with retrieving memories and words. You're not alone. :?