Page 3 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 1:46 pm

I'd been admitted to psychiatric hospital two weeks previously so I was still there. Saying that, it was a Saturday and as not much goes on at weekends and they considered me well enough by then they let me go home for the evening/night and come back the next day. Went out for a meal with my parents but I can't remember anything much about it as the medication messed with my memories and everything from then onwards for the next 6-8 months is rather fuzzy. I had had some sort of friends at school, but we hardly ever saw each other out of school and even though we had only left school a few weeks previously (my birthday is July) we had already lost touch pretty much permanently, so no chance of any type of celebration with them.

Most of my 21st was spent alone - it was Uni holidays so although I did have a couple of friends they were at that time in different parts of the country. As far as I remember I carefully organised my day (everyone else was at work/school) to do things I liked doing on my own - walking, picking fruit, playing my guitar. It was going to be perfect, then my Grandparents phoned wanting to take me out to lunch and as I couldn't stand the disruption of my carefully laid plans I refused the offer, and instead spend the rest of the day feeling guilty and upset that everything had been ruined. In the evening I imagine I went out for dinner with my immediate family but I can't really remember that as 19 and 20 were pretty much the same.

In general birthdays (since childhood when I loved them) have been disappointing even when I have had friends. A lot in my 20s were shared with my (now ex) husband who had his the day before mine. They were generally OK, although I remember 25 being upsetting after I invited our friends (I had quite a few at that time) to a BBQ and made loads of food and then it rained and few people came. After 30 and 31 being pretty terrible (I was depressed and had few friends at the time) I didn't tell anyone about 32 as I couldn't stand celebrating, but it was sort of sad. Last year (33) I went out after work with the lovely people in my lab and we had a couple of drinks and it was nice. I think big birthdays have the potential to be terrible if celebrated and sad if not, but luckily it will be a while before another one of those.

agent_cooper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2011, 2:19 pm

Not much apart from feeling incredibly lonely and sad.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 2:24 pm

I don't remember. Too long ago. They are all the same after a while.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 8:05 pm

If I remember right I was visiting my dad and other relatives in Minnesota during my birthday and I belive we had a large fire outside and enough alcohol for everyone to get drunk.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 9:21 pm

I didn't get to do anything fun. I don't remember exactly what I did with my friends to celebrate, possibly just out to a rock club as usual, but where as normally I seem to repress traumatic memories I didn't repress what my mother forced me to do for my 18th - make-over photo-shoot, as it was also her 40th so she wanted mother/daughter photos.

I had my hair cut a day beforehand but the hairdresser had butchered it so it was an odd colour and made my head look like a mushroom - on the day of the shoot the hair stylist was terrible, so too were the make-up artist and photographer, and just to make it worse the photographer managed to get the slight facial slump I had at the time into every single shot too. I was uncomfortable with this idea to begin with given the sort of shoot it was and the fact it was with my mother, I felt disgusting by the time the photo's were taken.

I'll point out that at this time I had actually been working as a model and developed quite a fan base - this was before something strange happened in the universe to suddenly make me look horrid in all photos, in fact this photo-shoot may have been the prelude to that - these photo's turned out so terrible I paid a fortune to get the copyright to keep anyone from using them, this is how bad they were -> click

Okay so a bad photo might not be THAT bad, but it was the experience as a whole, I never do well with being forced into doing things, least of all with my mother, it was just horrible and ruined my 18th. It's freaky/depressing that this was 10 years ago :?

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 10:48 pm

I woke up and couldn't walk, I think because my blood pressure was too low. I spent my 18th in the hospital :P

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 10:54 pm

Zen wrote:
Mine was no different than any other day.

Yup. I spent it alone at home on my computer.

Zolikan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2011, 8:01 am

I had a few friends over to watch some movies.

We had a good time and I wouldn't have wanted to do more out of it.

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2011, 8:48 am

I skipped last period to go down to the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre to apply, then got the joy of sitting in a minivan for 15 hours while my family went to Myrtle Beach

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 9:19 am

Cornflake wrote:
Er, I very much enjoyed consuming certain mind-altering chemicals of the illicit and mushroom-related type.
A hot summer's day in the depths of some very dense woods, spent with a couple of friends watching and listening to plant, insect and bird life going on around us.

You really shouldn't do the same thing. :lol:

*chuckle*

Yeah, pretty much for me, too. Can't remember exactly which illicit substances were involved, but likely involved alcohol and hash, plus either acid or quaaludes - as I recall, we were pretty "into" all of those at the time.

So, yeah. Just a typical day. Nothing special. :wink: Which brings to mind a question - how the H3!!, exactly, did i survive my teen years?!?!?!?! ! 8O

And, yeah, you really shouldn't try this at home!

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 9:28 am

My family had arranged a surprise party for me. I humoured them for about 2 hours and then spent the rest of the day infront of my computer.
I remember thinking "So now I'm considered an adult. Great, now where did I put that knife sharpner?". Oh silly teenage me.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Apr 2011, 9:53 am

another_1 wrote:
Which brings to mind a question - how the H3!!, exactly, did i survive my teen years?!?!?!?! ! 8O
:lol: Good point. It's nothing short of a miracle I'm still around, considering the things I happily smoked, shoved down my throat (or shoved into my arm, just once 8O ) and what I got up to while out of my box.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:40 am

I went to a Chinese buffet restaurant with friends and extended family then me and my friends hung out at my house until late at night. I had loads of fun and I was laughing my head off most of the day. I also bought my first legal drink,. My birthday celebrations were actually a week after my actual birthday, I spent my actual birthday just sitting around the house with a headache.

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2011, 10:43 am

agent_cooper wrote:
Not much apart from feeling incredibly lonely and sad.

Pretty much this...but it was better then my 21st.

I hate Birthdays anyways as it makes me question life and why I exist....and it really doesn't help when your friend's don't care that it's been past and continue to pester you of theirs...(which I tell them straight that they forgot mine).

I went to a Restaurant for my 18th with my family but I feel they all feel the same (even on non-special occassions).

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 2:01 pm

I was in a psychiatric ward during my 18th

dooneybourkegrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2011, 2:44 am

Skipped school for a day or two to travel to The Mall of America with my parents!! ! Shopped and rode the coaster 8)