Having AS doesn't mean you have superpowers

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:23 am

And it doesn't mean you automatically have an excuse to fail at everything in life. Do some people not realise "NT'S" can suffer from depression, anxiety and shyness? My friend doesn't have AS but he says he has social phobia. These things may be aspie traits, but it doesn't mean we all have to have them to the extreme, or that "NT's" are perfect, no one is. We're all human, and meet problems we have to deal with. I've seen some believing in the other extreme, that maybe we all have super hearing powers(more like selective hearing). I'm not saying we aren't capable of achieving great things, and using some of our traits to our advantage, but unfortunately we don't have x-ray vision and aren't gonna patrol the streets of Gotham in a cape.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:25 am

benjimanbreeg wrote:
we don't have x-ray vision and aren't gonna patrol the streets of Gotham in a cape.

Awww. :cry:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:26 am

benjimanbreeg wrote:
we don't have x-ray vision

Speak for yourself.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:27 am

And the blind don't hear better, and cripples don't have superior upper body strenght

but I do have a hightened sense of smell, which is more of a burden then anything, you all stink in a nutshell.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:29 am

Moog wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:

Speak for yourself.

this.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:33 am

benjimanbreeg wrote:
I'm not saying we aren't capable of achieving great things, and using some of our traits to our advantage, but unfortunately we don't have x-ray vision and aren't gonna patrol the streets of Gotham in a cape.

That would explain why my jumping off the barn is always followed by ground contact. I guess I'd better scratch flying off my bucket list.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:38 am

benjimanbreeg wrote:
And it doesn't mean you automatically have an excuse to fail at everything in life.

This is important. When I allow myself to "indulge" AS, I can turn into a huge f*up. I really have to guard against treating AS as a place to hide when I don't feel up to doing {whatever}. No one around me expects superpowers; but, at the same time, no one overlooks the times when I come up short and says "it's OK, he has AS."

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Apr 2011, 12:01 pm

This is an interesting topic.

Abilities and limitations across the board - in all neuro types.

I was just thinking about my son who, when he was about 4 years old, told me he could see through walls. At the time he believed that he could and I had no "proof" that he could not, so I never tried to quash his beliefs about his abilities. So, while I agree with the OP that having AS doesn't mean you have super powers, it also doesn't mean that you do not. What I really mean to say is: how much of our abilities or "powers" come from our beliefs in them and our beliefs that we do possess them? Can you imagine the result of a trapeze artist not believing in his or her ability to perform high above the crowd without a net? Now perhaps fearlessly flying through the air with the greatest of ease would not qualify as a "super power" but it comes darn close, to me at least. Same with those amazing skate boarders who appear to be defying death or serious injury with every twist and turn. I am in total awe of them. These are only two examples, the list could go on and on. My point is, how much of our development, especially early development, has been limited by the beliefs of others (voices of authority) who tell us that what we think and believe is impossible, that what we would like to achieve is impossible?

I want to levitate someday, and I refuse to give up the belief that it's impossible. If it has been done it can be done again. If it hasn't been done, there's always the first time.

Last edited by cosmiccat on 04 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:01 pm

I do deliver super results, without superpowers this makes me even greater :lol:

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

Moog wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:

Speak for yourself.

I was, thats why I said "we" :idea:

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:27 pm

RainingRoses wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
And it doesn't mean you automatically have an excuse to fail at everything in life.

This is important. When I allow myself to "indulge" AS, I can turn into a huge f*up. I really have to guard against treating AS as a place to hide when I don't feel up to doing {whatever}. No one around me expects superpowers; but, at the same time, no one overlooks the times when I come up short and says "it's OK, he has AS."

Yeah, its easy to get like that. When I was first diagnosed, I used it a lot to excuse things, but now I don't want to make any excuses.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:29 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
This is an interesting topic.

Abilities and limitations across the board - in all neuro types.

I was just thinking about my son who, when he was about 4 years old, told me he could see through walls. At the time he believed that he could and I had no "proof" that he could not, so I never tried to quash his beliefs about his abilities. So, while I agree with the OP that having AS doesn't mean you have super powers, it also doesn't mean that you do not. What I really mean to say is: how much of our abilities or "powers" come from our beliefs in them and our beliefs that we do possess them? Can you imagine the result of a trapeze artist not believing in his or her ability to perform high above the crowd without a net? Now perhaps fearlessly flying through the air with the greatest of ease would not qualify as a "super power" but it comes darn close, to me at least. Same with those amazing skate boarders who appear to be defying death or serious injury with every twist and turn. I am in total awe of them. These are only two examples, the list could go on and on. My point is, how much of our development, especially early development, has been limited by the beliefs of others (voices of authority) who tell us that what we think and believe is impossible, that what we would like to achieve is impossible?

I want to levitate someday, and I refuse to give up the belief that it's impossible. If it has been done it can be done again. If it hasn't been done, there's always the first time.

I totally agree with you there, I think we're all capable of things more than we realise. I was just referring to some of the people i've seen, think they are immortal cause they have AS.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:30 pm

No, but it does occassionally explain why you fail. I can see where some people can get real tired of continually picking themselves up, dusting off the pain, disappoinment and guilt, and trying again and again and again... at some point, it does seem futile.

Caped crusader is actually a pretty good profession for an Aspie. Fighting injustice. Lack of communication is considered 'mysterious'. Solo profession largely practiced in the dead of night. Problem solving skills engaged. Heightened senses put to good use. sidekick optional - just in case you can't find another like minded aspie...

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:30 pm

Wallourdes wrote:
I do deliver super results, without superpowers this makes me even greater :lol:

True :P

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

draelynn wrote:
No, but it does occassionally explain why you fail. I can see where some people can get real tired of continually picking themselves up, dusting off the pain, disappoinment and guilt, and trying again and again and again... at some point, it does seem futile.

Caped crusader is actually a pretty good profession for an Aspie. Fighting injustice. Lack of communication is considered 'mysterious'. Solo profession largely practiced in the dead of night. Problem solving skills engaged. Heightened senses put to good use. sidekick optional - just in case you can't find another like minded aspie...

Yes, but they usually just try the same old things, with the same old negative attitude, and expect different results. I've done that in the past. Just have to keep on trying.

That does sound like a good idea haha. I love problem solving.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7mb102V1F0[/youtube]