Do any of you feel sort of...disconnected from your bodies?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

robertyknwt
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm

You know that scene in the movie The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen when the head of the King of the Moon (played by an uncredited Robin Williams) is flying around, separate from his body, and glad to be able to think, and not have to deal with his disgusting farting body?

Yeah. That's a bit how I feel.

Interestingly, two of the activities I enjoy the most (and miss the most, because I don't have time to do them right now) are refereeing hockey and playing music (esp. trombone), which are two activities where my mind and body are the most connected. And, lately, motorcycling is also filling that role (just moved offices from walking distance to 15-miles-from-home, so I now have to commute using something other than my legs).

For me, if I could just live in my head, I might be cool with that. Right now, I mostly only notice my body when I'm hungry, thirsty, in need of a bathroom break, horny, tired, or sick. Or when emotions bubble up into a panic attack from no obvious source and for no obvious reason....

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 10:50 pm

It is weird, I don't understand it at times either. A lot of the time I don't even notice my body. It's as if I live in my mind, nothing else matters. All my body does is transport my mind from place to place and allow me to manipulate my environment. Now I'm freaking myself out as I'm typing this. There's these hands on my keyboard, and they're moving, but I'm not moving them. They seem to be connected to me, I guess they are mine. It's just strange because I'm not thinking about it at all, to me it seems as if my thoughts go straight into this text box. I don't notice that I'm doing anything with my hands at all.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 11:00 pm

SammichEater wrote:
It is weird, I don't understand it at times either. A lot of the time I don't even notice my body. It's as if I live in my mind, nothing else matters. All my body does is transport my mind from place to place and allow me to manipulate my environment. Now I'm freaking myself out as I'm typing this. There's these hands on my keyboard, and they're moving, but I'm not moving them. They seem to be connected to me, I guess they are mine. It's just strange because I'm not thinking about it at all, to me it seems as if my thoughts go straight into this text box. I don't notice that I'm doing anything with my hands at all.

See...I have the opposite issue. I have to consciously think about very nearly every movement, every action. I have to essentially puppet my body. It is not that I DON'T feel my body. That isn't what I mean at all. It just...my body doesn't feel right. It's just so awkward and...I mean....conscious! I have to arrange my body, my limbs, like furniture. I never STOP thinking about it. I feel disconnected as in...unnatural. It isn't natural.