Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

everton53
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2009, 12:10 pm

hey. I was gonna apply to the royal navy, but aspergers is one of the medical problems that can bar you from joining :(

i spoke to the careers guidance guy, and he said because my aspergers is so mild i might have a chance at getting in

has anyone here applied for an armed force? or is currently in one?

im just looking for some reassurance i guess, that i do have a chance at getting in

Lottiesailing
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2013, 3:30 pm

i was also looking into this and i found someone who has aspergers and got accepted into the navy, ive found out that with autism its a definite no with aspergers its looked at on a case by case basis

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 3:42 pm

If the law, rules & regulations, allow you in you have a chance at excelling because of your Asperger's.

It's well documented that there are many Aspies in Law Enforcement Officer & Military jobs because of our fondness for rules, order and structure, as well as being pretty black and white about morals and ethics, right & wrong. If you're one of us who has the trait of maintaining composure under chaotic emergency scenes, all the better.

Good luck!

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2013, 4:37 pm

They don't really care if it mild just that you have it. The person that says yay or nay had never meet you personally just remember. I don't know how selective the Brits are right now but the US armed forces currently are very selective and probably would not waive you. But I digress if you wish to try your luck so be it.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 1:46 am

I know of a case where a teenaged boy with autism in the States was accepted into the military, and his mother was livid that they'd "taken advantage of a disabled person who couldn't make such choices for himself".

In the meantime she'd apparently been letting him go about on his own with no direct supervision.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 7:19 am

Lottiesailing wrote:
i was also looking into this and i found someone who has aspergers and got accepted into the navy, ive found out that with autism its a definite no with aspergers its looked at on a case by case basis

How is this legal? There's minor differences between Autism and Aspergers; so it makes no sense that someone can be rejected on the basis of their diagnosis.