Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 7:28 pm

Firstly, I'm not such a fan of terms like mild, severe, high functioning, low functioning. In a lot of ways, they don't work, and often, I don't use them.

So I'm trying to think of an acceptable way to ask my question.

Is there anyone around here who could be described by terms like "needs extensive support," "minimally independent," "challenging behaviors," "classic autism"...?

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2011, 8:03 pm

Unfortunately, when I was growing up, one had to be nonverbal or close to it and also very "low functioning" in day to day life to qualify for Asperger's Syndrome. The term "HFA" can be misleading because it assumes someone is high functioning, they should function in the every day world without support while "classic autism" assumes they will always need caretakers around the clock. Maybe the term Asperger's or HFA could be replaced by social learning disability or "social dyslexia" or something like that to specify where we need help? I am 35 and still living at home and underemployed but I have a real hard time qualifying for vocational rehab because I'm too "high functioning" so I love your point!

If you'd like to read more about my story growing up undiagnosed or learn about my personal insights, please view my website at
http://www.myaspergerslifestory.com/

Allie Kat

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2011, 8:31 pm

I feel those who think 'High Functioning' means 'mild' have no real comprehension of how seriously debilitating our impaired Executive Function is. I may speak articulately, and I can (sort of) manage a checking account, but I would absolutely have a panic attack if I tried to buy a house or a car without support from someone I trusted to understand all the fine print and the legalese. Actually, I wouldn't try - I'd have a panic attack just thinking about it and never leave the house.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 8:34 pm

That is exactly why those labels make no sense to me. Because in order to get a diagnosis at all, you have to be significantly impaired by it. And if you are impaired, how is that high-functioning or mild? It makes no sense.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 8:39 pm

It's a mild form of a severe condition, I guess. That's how.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 8:51 pm

AllieKat wrote:
Unfortunately, when I was growing up, one had to be nonverbal or close to it and also very "low functioning" in day to day life to qualify for Asperger's Syndrome. The term "HFA" can be misleading because it assumes someone is high functioning, they should function in the every day world without support while "classic autism" assumes they will always need caretakers around the clock. Maybe the term Asperger's or HFA could be replaced by social learning disability or "social dyslexia" or something like that to specify where we need help? I am 35 and still living at home and underemployed but I have a real hard time qualifying for vocational rehab because I'm too "high functioning" so I love your point!

If you'd like to read more about my story growing up undiagnosed or learn about my personal insights, please view my website at
http://www.myaspergerslifestory.com/

Allie Kat
I read through your blog and thought it was quite interesting. I too had that issue with the peers, I didn't know why no-one liked me and they'd almost always say that I was annoying. I also was stuck in special ed classes and I was kept there until I graduated.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 10:30 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
It's a mild form of a severe condition, I guess. That's how.

That doesn't always work out as simply as it sounds, though.

I have a mild case of dysautonomia. It's 'mild' in the medical sense that dysautonomia can be so bad that a person can't sit upright in bed for 10 seconds without passing out -- whereas I can usually last at least 20 minutes upright on my feet before having major problems.

But dealing with it on a day-to-day basis is a 'moderate,' rather then 'mild' pain in the backside, especially compared to 'normal' (not having to deal with it at all).

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 10:50 pm

I think the OP was hoping that this would not turn into a discussion of semantics. The labels that are used to try to describe how well or poorly an individual is able to function are necessarily flawed. Perhaps each person's case could be best described as a graph that represents the severity of each symptom. But for lack of better words, I consider my AS to be mild.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 11:48 pm

I don't get it, why do I qualify for the service but yet I am mild but some other aspies don't qualify?

Either it's the area I am in or the problems I have like how much help I needed in school so they figured it will have impact on how I function in life.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 12:02 am

bee33 wrote:
I think the OP was hoping that this would not turn into a discussion of semantics. The labels that are used to try to describe how well or poorly an individual is able to function are necessarily flawed. Perhaps each person's case could be best described as a graph that represents the severity of each symptom. But for lack of better words, I consider my AS to be mild.

I definitely consider my AS to be mild too (I am employed, well-paid, married, and a parent).

But that didn't stop me from trying to commit suicide once when I was 14.

So "mild" AS can be dangerous, even life-threatening. Anxiety and depression are frequent problems for Aspies, and depression in particular is not something to treat lightly. It is a serious complication that can easily grow out of our difficulties with social interaction and our difficulties with understanding and managing our emotions.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 12:34 am

one-A-N wrote:
bee33 wrote:

I definitely consider my AS to be mild too (I am employed, well-paid, married, and a parent).

But that didn't stop me from trying to commit suicide once when I was 14.

So "mild" AS can be dangerous, even life-threatening. Anxiety and depression are frequent problems for Aspies, and depression in particular is not something to treat lightly. It is a serious complication that can easily grow out of our difficulties with social interaction and our difficulties with understanding and managing our emotions.
I completely agree. Even the socialization issues alone, without considering the other symptoms, can lead to anxiety and depression, and I have struggled with both. I am not married, don't have children, and don't have a job, but it's hard to say how much of it is due to AS, anxiety and depression and how much is due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which I also have and which has had probably a greater impact on my life.