Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 5:17 pm

I'm not the kind of Aspie who thinks, ''I like to have routine. NTs don't care for routine at all. I jump at loud noises. NTs never jump at all. I have mood swings. NTs don't ever have mood swings...'' and so on. I don't take Autism and NT as two contrasts. I always look upon it as a scale, and NTs are neutral on some things, but may be a little extreme on some things, or not enough on other things. And an Autistic person may be extreme on more things, or not enough on other things, maybe a little more extreme than the average NT might be on some certain subjects, and so on. We're all different, so we all have different extremes. Admittedly, I think NTs are neutral on more things, but that doesn't mean they're neutral on every single thing. I have a family full of NTs, I went to mainstream school throughout my whole childhood - I do know a lot about NTs and how they work.

But anyway - the point of this thread is about a diagram I have done, explaining the difference and similarities between myself and a typical NT who I know well. This doesn't explain it to every single individual (because we're all different) but it just gives a basic rough idea of what I mean. Although I'm not good with diagrams, I've thought of a diagram explaining a very good, easy way of Autism vs NTs. Unfortunately, I drew it on Paint and I have no idea how you get it up on a WP post. I really don't know why it can't be as simple as copying and pasting the picture and be done with it. But computers are like people - they can be awkward. Anyone know how I get it up on WP?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 5:41 pm

Upload it to an image hosting website and link that to here.

Mapacho
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 May 2011, 5:46 pm

Go to imageshack DOT us (first post, can't put the address in) and upload there, then link to it with the image button.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 10:49 am

Mapacho wrote:
Go to imageshack DOT us (first post, can't put the address in) and upload there, then link to it with the image button.

I still don't understand.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 May 2011, 11:41 am

Joe90 wrote:
Mapacho wrote:

I still don't understand.

Go here: http://imageshack.us/

Click "Browse"

Locate your image file.

Select your image file.

Click Upload Now.

When it is done, link your image here.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 1:02 pm

http://img856.imageshack.us/i/myexplanation.png/

I think I done it right. I done the best I can anyway.

Remember, I'm not saying that this is all Aspies and all NTs. I have compared myself with my 19-year-old cousin, who is an average NT, and it's trying to explain to people that AS and NT isn't always completely opposite ends of a line. I hope you understand the table clearly.

The red lines are me, and the blue lines are my cousin. It doesn't show all personality traits, but it just shows some main ones.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 May 2011, 1:20 pm

Here's the image embedded here:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 2:28 pm

I like the way I created the graph. It gives a good explanation that most people either don't like too much of something or don't like too little, so they prefer to stay neutral. Aspies, on the other hand, sometimes go a little extreme, either on one side of the neutral line or the other, with certain things like routine, special interests, sensory issues, anxieties, and how they think, and this gives a rough idea that being NT doesn't mean following no routine, following no special interests, having no sensory issues, being anxious over nothing, and thinking really differently. It's just that NTs can keep these things at a neutral level so the personality traits don't show enough to group together and gather a diagnosis of a certain disorder. For example, an NT might be extreme on special interests, but they might be more or less over the neutral line for most other things, like normal sensory issues, normal care for routines, and ect - which doesn't mean an ASD or other disability.

I always say that if a person had extreme for every single personality trait there was, they'd be very manic, but if a person had very little of every personality trait there was, they'd be very boring.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 2:40 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It's just that NTs can keep these things at a neutral level so the personality traits don't show enough to group together and gather a diagnosis of a certain disorder.

This is basically the theory behind how diagnoses are made with the DSM and ICD criteria. You have to meet enough criteria at the right intensity/frequency/level of impairment to receive a diagnosis, but they measure traits that are common in a lot of people, diagnosable or not.