Where do you live? Do you like it there?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Countess
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2011, 11:13 pm

We are moving (have been for what feels like forever) and have set our sites on an area. Since we're opting to rent we still have wiggle room.

Where are you located (please only be as specific as you are comfortable and not do post full addresses - US state & largest local city would be great) and do you feel accepted there? International friends, please do not be insulted as we cannot move out of the country at this time.

My son and myself both are aspies. I would like to be in a place that is at least slightly OK with this if not simply OK.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide..

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 1:05 am

I live in Depew, NY it is a working class suburb of the City of Buffalo. The food is good here in Buffalo I have resteraunts and fast food places in walking distance to me. Tops market, Wegmans, Walgreens, Eckards, Alsis, Wal Mart, Target, Kohls, and K Mart are all with in a half hour walk from my house so its not all bad. They also put in two different critical care centers in walking distance as well they are like privately owned emergency rooms. The people on the other hand in my area are working poor. I guess their lives are so horrible they can't wait to insult or to talk about someone behind their backs. Buffalo is a major sports town if you do not support the Bills or the Sabers you are considered a freak. Growing up sucked in Depew my teen years was like the cartoon Beavis and Butthead we were always playing with M-80's or breaking stuff. There was a lot of fights in school around three to five a day if you stood out you got beaten up. At one point Depew High School had more fights per day than the inner city Buffalo schools. Also being a working poor area they did not have that much money to spend on special education classes. I spent First thru tenth grade in them only to find out later in life I am not learning disabled. I was robbed of a proper education. Stay away from Depew Amhearst and Orchard Park the more affluent areas near Depew are nice places to live though. The people seem nicer to me they don't have something to prove and they are more accepting of an intelligent outsider.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 1:08 am

In my head. It's a bit cluttered here.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 3:12 am

I live near Riverside/San Bernardino, California. The weather is really hot and dry most of the year (I like it), traffic problems are moderate, most public transportation is little more than a sick joke, there are some places to live in decent areas that are relatively cheap by California standards. The problems are that unemployment is at 15% in most of the region, and the state politicians have been smoking crack for the last couple decades and all their stupid decisions are crashing down on them, yet they still continue to try and push environmental laws that will make our economic and employment situation even worse. The earthquakes are an exaggerated risk in most places. You get used to them. In my adult life I don't think I've jumped out of bed for any earthquake smaller than 5.5. Normally I don't worry about them except for lately, and it's actually the lack of them that I'm concerned about because I'm within view of a section of fault that's under extreme stress right now! I'd still rather deal with that than a tornado!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

shadowchyld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2011, 3:14 am

Florida... about halfway between Sarasota and Tampa. It's pretty good. Hot here right now, but plenty of excuses for beach days.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 4:20 am

Not at all insulted, I wish you luck finding a pleasant new accommodation. :)

I live in the suburban area of Budapest in a four-storied block of flats surrounded by more green than usual and a little forest-like park lies just behind the building with a playground and a little court for ball-games.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 5:32 am

I live in Western New York in a farming community East of Buffalo. It's nice and quite. A murder in our county is big news -.we average less than one per year. But I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss the ocean.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 7:30 am

I live in the suburbs of Glasgow in a large new (about 12 years old) housing estate. It's nice but boring. We're the first owners of the house. We're in a cul-de-sac of 11 houses and the neighbours are good. There's very little here except houses, a primary school, a small supermarket, hairdresser, pharmacy, women's gym and a chip shop. There are playgrounds for the little kids dotted around the estate. They get vandalised by the older kids and that makes me really angry. I've holidayed in Canada 11 times and have only seen one playground that was vandalised and that was just a bit of graffiti. Other than the vandalism, the estate is relatively safe and crime free - the only major crime was about 8/9 years ago when a drug dealer was gunned down in his home. Within a few miles, there are a couple of small towns with problems with crime. Public transport is good, although the buses are a little expensive. Glasgow City Centre, with all it has to offer, is a 20 min train journey away.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 7:38 am

THe pocono mountains of pennsylvania....

:::::CONS:::::
!) way too many old folks driving 30 under the speedlimit pissing me off on way too work. :/
2) We are basically a meth and heroine capital of the east coast.
3) Way too many hicks...
4) The roads suck, pennsylvania is known as pothole country for a reason.
5) Bridges need to be fixed badly.

:::::PROS:::::
1) Coal is actually a viable heating solution here. It lasts far longer than Oil/Elec/Gas and is MUCH CHEAPER. Same goes for wood pellet stoves/furnaces
2)The Turnpike... speedlimits are very rarely enforced. When they are it is funny as hell seeing police actually using sports cars like in NFS:Most Wanted
3)Very Good Place for nature Lovers
4)Cheap Rent (You can rent out a 3 or 4 bedroom home for around $600 - $700 a month, some places are even lower.
5)You can find farmers markets practically everywhere (Its very nice for those who want to go organic and such.)

There are many more pros and cons.... these are just a few....

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

js3521
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2011, 7:46 am

I lived in Birmingham, Alabama for the last year, and I'm in the process of moving to Tuscaloosa. Both cities where hit by the F5 tornado last week, and I'm right in the middle of the damage.

Last edited by js3521 on 06 May 2011, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

arondight
Raven
Raven

06 May 2011, 8:24 am

Currently living in West Palm Beach, Fl. Its a nice small sized city, with pretty good beaches if you're into that. The people are mostly friendly and there are lots of things to do, also you can just stay home and enjoy the blissful silence. I also lived in NYC and Philadelphia, I really liked Philly because it gave me both experiences of living in a city and in a quiet neighborhood. Aside from the frigid winters its a nice place to live and rent there is much much less than in New York.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 8:33 am

I live in Michigan... I happen to be in the city that was awarded the honor of being the most violent city in the country per capita. So yay us...

I do not mind my city though. I have lived here my entire life and it is really all I know. I do feel accepted here... my town is diverse and tolerant of most people. There are a lot of different races, religions, sexual orientations... The only problem I really have with the place is the amount of poverty. I do not think I know anyone who has not been homeless at one point or lost a house or has been without power or water or something like that. It gets frustrating because just a few minutes from my town is another town and the bulk of the people there are doctor/lawyer types who live in these ridiculously large houses and drive expensive cars, but just ten minutes away from them kids go to school so they can eat. That messes with my head a bit. But all in all, yeah, I like my city. It is home. I am not going anywhere.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 2:04 pm

i live in the middle of nowhere out in the woods of mason county, washington. the nearest major city is olympia, in the next county over, about an hour's drive away. i like to call my corner of reality "outer hooterville." it beats living in the actual nether regions, which is about all i can say about it. but it is affordable at least. all the good places to live have a relatively high cost of living, meaning if one is not making at least $20 an hour at some fulltime job, one cannot afford to live there period. mason county is the only place in western washington where one can keep a roof over their head without a middle-class income. there needs to be more affordable places to live.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 2:59 pm

I live in the Eagle Rock neighborhood of Los Angeles (Between Glendale and Pasadena) - I just moved here from downtown Los Angeles a few months ago.

On the plus side: Being in a big city gives me a bit of anonymity plus access to a variety of interesting places. A lot of good camera stores etc. While I suppose there are some shallow people here (Hollywood and all) most of the people I have met are fairly accepting of a diverse range of personalities.

A nice thing about southern California in general is that you have easy access to a wide range of environments. Beaches, mountains, deserts, rolling hills etc.

The downside is: It's fairly noisy and the traffic can get really annoying. I have a good job so I was able to buy a house in L.A. so I don't have to spend and hour and a half on the freeway each direction. There is a fire station half a mile from my house and I get to hear sirens pretty often. But I was used to this after living in downtown for 12 years.

Also the earthquakes can be a bit of a drag. We haven't had a big one in a while and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a significant quake in the next few years. But few people die in them. Hopefully we won't have anything like what Japan had this year. Usually anything 6 or less is not even worth worrying about, but when the quakes get into the 7.0 and higher range they do a bit of damage.

I like big cities so that's what I would recommend, but you may be happier with the quiet of a rural place. Good luck finding a place that suits you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 3:05 pm

I live in the inner city of Langley BC. It's not bad. Everything is close by.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

06 May 2011, 3:23 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I live in the inner city of Langley BC. It's not bad. Everything is close by.

Isn't Langley near Vancouver? Anyway, the biggest city closest to the one I live in is Seattle. Like auntblabby, I live in western Washington. There's, like, no bus transportation here, and the nearest Metro and Community Transit bus stop requires a 30-minute walk. Sorta sucks.