Where do you live? Do you like it there?

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 1:44 am

I live a bit west of Denver, Colorado and there are things I like about it...but there are some not so wonderful things. Compared to a lot of large cities I don't think our violent crime rate is so high...its a rather small city to. There are quite a lot of parks in and around denver though some are difficult to find or in weird spots you wouldn't expect them to be, and we have a couple rivers that go through which you can walk along...not as great as in the mountains where you can really get out of all the city/suburb chaos.

Some areas around here are worse...I technically don't live in Denver, more in Lakewood which is a decent area, occasional drunks and sometimes people leave garbage around which is really annoying but I am sure there are lots other places with that issue. Sometimes pretty gross garbage to say the least....funnily enough its probably not legal to do this, but I almost want to get signs and put them up random places to say pick up your damn garbage. Broken beer bottles and such like are not good to step/sit on therefore should not be left around areas people hang out and sit and walk. Also lots of people smoke marijuana even more openly than before it was legal so you would likely be exposed to the smell of it....especially if taking the bus/light rail trains.

Also hard to find public restrooms, not so much all areas just outside denver but closer you get to down town and some other areas its really hard to find unless you go in and buy something.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2014, 5:08 am

South-Central Texas. I'm not going to disclose exactly where I live. There's an odd tendency online for me to run into people I know in real life.

I live in the downtown area, which is pretty nice in that I work a twenty-five minutes' walk away and I can pretty much buy everything I need in the immediate area. However, the immediate periphery is just a tourist trap, the area shuts down when the local basketball team wins, and artificiality aside, there are a lot of homeless clusters. You see a lot of interesting things, sad things, and upsetting things. It could be an okay place if you are looking for inspiration to write, but I am trying to leave as soon as possible.

Pros:
Cheap. My first apartment had rent of only $480 a month. 650 sq. feet with some included amenities. This was actually in a decent area with professionals.
Plenty of opportunities to find work in social services and the non-profit industry. Granted, you don't get paid much, but you will find something if you are persistent.

Cons:
Widely varies by parts of the city. Class divisions are apparent and there's a lot of resentment if you even speak a certain way (such to indicate that you've at least attended college for a time, if not graduated). I am 23 years old. I am often asked why I am not married and/or do not have children. Is this normal where any of you live? Where I have lived, men are overly aggressive, do not respect personal boundaries, and things that happen on public transportation are unacceptable. Right now, I live with a lot of other people. This summer we had some graduate students from Boston stay. Their experiences on the bus match my experiences on the bus in this city, but apparently the conduct of the people on buses here would not be tolerated in Boston. Or so the graduate students told me. If you don't speak Spanish fluently, you are a racist. If you can't complete a conversation with customers in Spanish, it's unsurprising that you'll get written up for that. This hasn't happened to me, but I've observed it happen.

Public schools are of poor quality in some parts. There are areas where the public schools are so good that you might as well be in another state. There are some good private schools with decent tuition prices. Colleges, both public and private, are of poor quality. The area in general does not value education, and a lot of people who do grow up and go to school here eventually leave the city and do not come back. These people are often treated with distaste for "being ashamed" or "not giving back." Many in this city claim to be politically progressive but are unprincipled in that they refuse to help themselves even when subsidized (whether by government or nonprofits) services are offered to them and in some way or another they spit back into the faces of those who provided the service. I explain these observations, and others I won't bother to write about in detail here, to other people who live elsewhere. It's odd to them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 10:47 am

I hate elitism. :x

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 4:03 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I often think that if I'm gonna be given a serious disease that god might as well just take me home.

Well... I don't know... the whole medical thing is getting pretty amazing, and many diseases and ailments are curable. I was given ("given" is the key word here) four courses of a newish drug called Rituximab that probably saved my life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 4:04 pm

Anything that saves someone's life, without sacrificing someone else's life, is all right by me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 4:14 pm

tall-p wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I often think that if I'm gonna be given a serious disease that god might as well just take me home.

Well... I don't know... the whole medical thing is getting pretty amazing, and many diseases and ailments are curable. I was given ("given" is the key word here) four courses of a newish drug called Rituximab that probably saved my life.

hope the rituximab side effects keep their distance.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 5:56 pm

I live in Arizona. The only thing I hate about is the hot weather. It's also hard for me to find services because the insurance I have really sucks. D: I'm almost 26, and I have no way of getting the help I need. I do have mental health services, but other than that... yeah. I'll never be able to function on my own without a caregiver to help my every want and need. :/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 5:57 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
I live in Arizona. The only thing I hate about is the hot weather. It's also hard for me to find services because the insurance I have really sucks. D: I'm almost 26, and I have no way of getting the help I need. I do have mental health services, but other than that... yeah. I'll never be able to function on my own without a caregiver to help my every want and need. :/

might have better luck in Washington state, we have one of the better-functioning exchanges.

Screenager
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Sep 2014, 3:11 pm

I live in Copenhagen, Denmark. It's a very pretty capitol with a lot of diversity and access to everything. Unfortunately it's lacking in nature and the weather can be so awful at times.

WellThatsDantastic

07 Sep 2014, 6:31 am

I live in Europe, but I lived in Canada technically for a time. I have family in the USA and Canada, and in the USA, most of them live in Boston or New Hampshire.

I found that Boston was really nice, but when we went to church with our family, none of them even came up to us to say hi. We were in the middle of nowhere in New Hampshire, but the people were amazing. It was christmas, and we had boxes of cookies and cards from neighbours in our mailbox! That seems to be an American thing, and they made us feel really welcome. I don't know precisely where we stayed, but it was in a rather large forested area with a road and a good few houses.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 7:26 am

I live in the middle of a large capital city in Australia.

Having been raised in a country area the relative anonymity of a large city is very refreshing. I can go about my business without anyone noticing me. I have easy access to everything I need, work is plentiful and there's many things to do for recreation.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 12:45 pm

Australia looks good to this yank. :thumleft: