Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 10:43 pm

renaissance faires and anime conventions :wink: :D

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2011, 10:52 pm

Behinds the scenes at Planetariums can be quite full of 'non-traditional' people

simfish
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2011, 10:54 pm

Wow, behind the scenes at planetariums? Care to elaborate? Thanks!

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 10:58 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Portland, Oregon.

Our motto"Keep Portland weird."

Oh and drama.

I liked the show Portlandia on IFC.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 11:41 pm

Verdandi wrote:
simfish wrote:
Lol nice. But isn't most drama - drama about neurotypicals? Has there ever been drama about a super-weird kid with both Asperger's and ADD?

Drama can happen anywhere to anyone.

Drama=acting=movies or plays.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 May 2011, 11:49 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
simfish wrote:
Lol nice. But isn't most drama - drama about neurotypicals? Has there ever been drama about a super-weird kid with both Asperger's and ADD?

Oh, right. My brain was stuck in "drama = pointless conflict"

I actually lived in Portland several years ago. Kind of miss it. I'd definitely recommend living there if one can afford to.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 12:35 am

two words: art school.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2011, 1:21 am

Whata about Silicon Valley?

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 May 2011, 1:25 am

caramateo wrote:
Whata about Silicon Valley?

I'm sincerely hoping that Silicon Valley or some clone lays in my future. I don't really know how realistic that hope is, but I can always dream...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 1:35 am

Verdandi wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
simfish wrote:

Oh, right. My brain was stuck in "drama = pointless conflict"

I actually lived in Portland several years ago. Kind of miss it. I'd definitely recommend living there if one can afford to.

It's a fortunate I found a place where rent is cheap for a two bedroom in a nice area. But our landlord was told she is charging too little but she told the guy she owns the place and doesn't even have to make payments on it anymore and she wants to keep her tenants so she charges it that low and it's how she gets them too. But I wish I could get a bigger place or even a house if they were cheap.

Yeah drama can also mean conflict or fighting but drama can also mean plays you know acting.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 1:37 am

swbluto wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Portland, Oregon.

And homeless!

What do you mean there? That we accept the homeless or that we cause people to be homeless or that we have a bunch of them?

I don't see many here and plus all cities have them and just because someone is homeless doesn't mean they are. People fake it all the time to get money for drugs.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 May 2011, 1:48 am

League_Girl wrote:
It's a fortunate I found a place where rent is cheap for a two bedroom in a nice area. But our landlord was told she is charging too little but she told the guy she owns the place and doesn't even have to make payments on it anymore and she wants to keep her tenants so she charges it that low and it's how she gets them too. But I wish I could get a bigger place or even a house if they were cheap.

Yeah drama can also mean conflict or fighting but drama can also mean plays you know acting.

Sounds like you're really fortunate!

I had a couple of inexpensive places to live from 2002-2005, but I had housemates in order to make that possible.

And yeah, I was just explaining where my brain was stuck when I made my earlier statement. I forgot to mention I was a drama major in college.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 May 2011, 1:51 am

League_Girl wrote:
swbluto wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Portland, Oregon.

And homeless!

What do you mean there? That we accept the homeless or that we cause people to be homeless or that we have a bunch of them?

I don't see many here and plus all cities have them and just because someone is homeless doesn't mean they are. People fake it all the time to get money for drugs.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5162711n

I read at one time that the homeless rate was the highest in Portland of all the cities in the US. That makes sense considering the "smart zoning" laws and the resulting pressure on the real estate prices. And the hippie-influenced drug culture might have something to do with it.

I'm honestly looking at Portland for residence because of its "sustainable growth" model and the fact it's a hub for environmentally conscious and liberal type of attitudes (Whatever attitudes / beliefs associated with "hippies".) plus it's the center of the 'green revolution'.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 2:31 am

Geez I need to get out more because I did not know that many were homeless. I think it's the economy and I find it sad how regular people are losing their jobs and can't find a new one.

I do see them in the same spots however but I don't really look for them and my husband started pointing them out to me. Now I see them all the time when we go grocery shopping.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2011, 4:34 am

simfish wrote:

I think many people here that try to fit in socially do an amazing job of acting >.>

Dustin Hoffman did Rainman, Jeff Goldblum played a character that did seem very "Asperger's-like" in Independence Day.

Don't act to be yourself. Use your skills to act another role but make that role your own. Good actors become the character, they read the character and imagine what they would be, what quirks they would have, then act as if they were that character. This is why so few make it big, a lot try to act the role, instead of become the role and act naturally in it :P

Also acting isn't about normal life, for the most part. Normal life is boring, acting has people play roles in events larger than life. In theatre especially the roles are exaggerated. Many actors are unusual, eccentric, arrogant, extroverted to the point they are oblivious and uncaring of what other people think of them. Charlie Sheen for example?

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 5:16 am

1. The academia

2:

In all seriousness, though, social ettiquette seems to be very important in Japan. So, in spite of there being a lot of weird stuff that comes from Japan (though some of it actually has some interesting reasons), autistics likely would have more trouble fitting in than in other countries. What's interesting is that, it being an entirely different culture with a different language, I seem to be able to follow the social norms I know better when I'm speaking Japanese than when I'm speaking English.