How dare they discriminate against Aspergers?

Page 10 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 May 2011, 5:34 pm

Lene wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Lene wrote:
I think I side with wefunction and Backagain on this thread (not there are 'sides'- just their viewpoint seems the most reasonable to me)

Their perspectives seem a bit different to me, as wefunction isn't determining that people can work based on their forum activity.

True :) But both seem to be the lone voices that aren't automatically saying how awful it is that not everyone who feels they ought to get welfare gets it (unless I've misread a lot of posts- not ruling that out)

Edited my above post (bad habit I know). Just want to say again that I'm not havign a go at anyone; it's an attitude I genuinley want to understand.

I didn't think you were having a go at anyone.

I deleted my post because I realized I didn't really want to start this conversation. Clearly I was too slow.

To elaborate: My position has never been that everyone who wants welfare should get it. I have mostly argued against people who seem to believe that they can determine that someone is able to work from what they see them post or even sometimes because because a person can work, they think everyone else should be able to as well.

I do think it's awful that people who need assistance often can't get it, however. My definition of need may differ from others, however, as I tend to think that one's disability eligibility should be determined by more than than the narrow slice of life people show on an internet forum.

Backagain said that people who compose long, well-written posts are obviously able to do data entry. Given that I compose long, well-written posts, I do not think that Backagain is in a position to judge how employable I am (for example) on the basis of how I spend my spare time. Nor is she in a position to determine that whether or not anyone has tried hard enough to work productively or get an education before applying for disability. Or whether anyone could possibly have tried to get work or an education before applying for disability (some can't, hence their application). Or whether disability benefits might provide enough breathing room to get that education (I know of at least one woman on this forum who was doing that).

I actually agree with wefunction (but misread her at first), but I don't agree with Backagain. I wouldn't ever make that argument on a forum like this, however, because it is impossible to determine whether anyone really can work, whether they should be working if they are working, etc. and unemployment is ridiculously high for autistic people, which reflects numerous problems with the system. I have had far too many people over the past 10 months try to tell me they could obviously tell I was employable despite my own empirical experience otherwise. I don't see the point of putting other people on the defensive about that.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 6:06 pm

Oops, sorry! Thanks for the reply Verdandi- I appreciate your taking the time to clarify things! I won't drag you down into any debates- I do see your point.

Quote:
To elaborate: My position has never been that everyone who wants welfare should get it. I have mostly argued against people who seem to believe that they can determine that someone is able to work from what they see them post or even sometimes because because a person can work, they think everyone else should be able to as well.

I didn't see that as the main point Backagain was making, but I agree it is difficult to extrapolate 'can work in data entry' from 'can post on facebook' without knowing someone better; the two things involve different skills apart from simply having functioning fingers.

I have seen other situations where reasonable conclusions can be made ( but quite often the 'career' welfare people know these pitfalls already and are ready with the pat answers/act anyway) I don't know of a solution, but it's definitely a problem where resources are allocated by someone with little medical knowledge and a checklist...

Anyway, won't get bogged into this :) thanks again for the reply.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 6:11 pm

I think we can all agree that the real problem here is the weasel:

BAD weasel!

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 7:03 pm

wefunction wrote:
I think we can all agree that the real problem here is the weasel:

BAD weasel!

:?: that went right over my head... is it an American thing?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 May 2011, 7:39 pm

Lene wrote:
I didn't see that as the main point Backagain was making, but I agree it is difficult to extrapolate 'can work in data entry' from 'can post on facebook' without knowing someone better; the two things involve different skills apart from simply having functioning fingers.

I didn't think that was her main point, it just bothered me that she threw that in there.

Quote:
I have seen other situations where reasonable conclusions can be made ( but quite often the 'career' welfare people know these pitfalls already and are ready with the pat answers/act anyway) I don't know of a solution, but it's definitely a problem where resources are allocated by someone with little medical knowledge and a checklist...

Anyway, won't get bogged into this :) thanks again for the reply.

You're welcome.

I don't think actual fraud is widespread. It happens, but it's difficult to get help if you legitimately need it.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2011, 9:48 am

How dare anyone discriminate against Aspergers? They need to be put down like the dogs they are for their cowardice.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
How dare anyone discriminate against Aspergers? They need to be put down like the dogs they are for their cowardice.

It's like you're not even trying.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2011, 1:07 am

Pro-Aspergers - FTW. Down with the anti-Aspergers critics/heretics. You are either with us or against us.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 1:11 am

It's like you don't even care.

You don't deserve a pizza for this. Or a trophy.

Not even a pizza trophy.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2011, 1:16 am

Why should I care? I am so sick of discrimination against Aspergers. It sounds to me you support discrimination against Aspergers. Non-aspergers can be cowardly bullies who target Aspergers for no reason. Minority groups including those with Aspergers should not be discriminated against. So what Aspergers are quiet and only talk to people they know and like.

Stand up and fight for your rights and speak out against discrimination against Aspergers. Freedom, liberty and justice for Aspergers. Aspergers only talk to people they know and like. If we do not talk to you we do not know you or do not like you.

You either support Aspergers or you are against Aspergers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 1:41 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
You either support Aspergers or you are against Aspergers.

I support all autistic and PDD-NOS people. If you are going to be a crusader at least be a little more inclusive,

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2011, 9:49 pm

Verdandi wrote:
^^^--- thank you.

Some government official in England got fairly derisive about a disabled person being on twitter and suggested that being able to tweet meant that they perhaps weren't as disabled as they claimed to be.

Do tell more, name of Government official please :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 9:55 pm

anewman wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
^^^--- thank you.

Some government official in England got fairly derisive about a disabled person being on twitter and suggested that being able to tweet meant that they perhaps weren't as disabled as they claimed to be.

Do tell more, name of Government official please :)

There's a thread in the political subforum (not PPR) about autism speaks that has a reference for this story. At the time I looked it up but I a) do not remember the name and b) don't have the energy to look it up.

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

Verdandi wrote:
There's a thread in the political subforum (not PPR) about autism speaks that has a reference for this story. At the time I looked it up but I a) do not remember the name and b) don't have the energy to look it up.

Thanks for the pointer I'll have a search shortly.

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Why should I care? I am so sick of discrimination against Aspergers.

Problem is people do not realise they are discriminating against Asperger's. They think they are discriminating against learned skills, because they arrogantly and selfishly think that they learned them as they grew up, and you didn't. This is something so clearly obvious when you see the spelling and grammar Police on forums criticising and getting nasty towards people with the Neurological condition Dyslexia - who because of their Neurology have difficulty with those things. It's not their fault, but because a "normal" or Neurotypical person feels they learned those skills and "made themselves", they feel justified in treating others they believe did not put the same time and effort in, as sub-human, and to exalt themselves as the superior being. Sadly, this is normal Neurotypical behaviour, and it is part of what made the Human race so successful. Remember one thing that set Humans apart from the Neanderthals was their social ability and competitiveness.

Humans fail to appreciate diversity because they like everyone to be like they are. This is pretty much identical to the Nazi's ethos. But instead of gas chambers, we have social exclusion and unemployment. Almost a veiled apartheid that you can't see - because people aren't looking and they don't care because it doesn't affect them and they have a great life. If there were toilets marked "Neurotypical" and "Non-neurotypical" and different parts of the bus for different people, and there was a rule saying people with Asperger's and similar conditions should not be allowed to work or have benefits - then it would be more clear and obvious and you could stick a picture in the newspaper to highlight the injustice.

We've made great strides in terms of reducing discrimination towards gender, sexuality, age, ethnicity, skin colour, and people with obvious disabilities which do not affect their Neurotypicality, (such as those in wheel chairs, the deaf, the blind). All in a relatively short time. Granted they all still experience discrimination at different levels. To me, as an Aspie, the next stage is better understanding and appreciation of Neurological differences. But I feel at present the only way this would work is with specific legislation naming those disabilities. Hopefully one day the Human race will appreciate Neurodiversity, and we won't continue with this veiled apartheid against those who do not meet with the Neurological norm.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

26 Jun 2011, 11:25 pm

I got denied a simple summer job for being honest about myself. Screw you, local movie theatre.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm

So sick of bullies at work: colleagues and employers backstabbing you by saying stuff behind your back and treating you like an idiot because of your Aspergers.

Frenemies: enemies pretending to be nice to you but actually hate you because of your Aspergers.

Family regard you as the troubled black sheep of the family because of Aspergers.

Why so much discrimination against Aspergers? Why me pick poor little old me for no reason? Time for Aspergers to be accepted as a special minority group within society.