Page 7 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

aspieMD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2013, 9:48 pm

Guilty. I drink at parties because it makes me appear more neurotypical - and I have other aspie friends who do this. It's a good excuse for wackiness and allows me to let loose and fit in a bit better and bond over mutual drunkenness.

I usually don't overdo it though, and only blacked out once.

It depends on the aspie though. Some let loose and become more "excusable", fitting in with drunk NTs, whereas other aspies become even less bearable with alcohol as it may magify their traits. Every aspie is different. But I do recommend d having a few drinks to "lubricate" and see how it changes others' reception to you in a social setting.

Munin
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2013, 9:27 pm

I don't drink alone. I think I have a bit of an addictive nature, and I'd rather not risk that (I already tend to overdo it on junk food. Luckily I'm naturally slender). I don't drink much socially, either. If I'm at a party, I might have a bit, but I don't really go beyond feeling a bit "buzzed". Based on the way most people I know turn into hooting Yahoos when they're drunk, I feel like it might magnify the traits I try to keep under wraps.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 2:00 am

Can't remember if I posted in this thread or not.

Yes, Asperger's adds a dimension to alcohol abuse.

I've read that 70% of us are salicylate sensitive and that s.s. people tend to abuse drugs & alcohol more so than others. Also, I believe alcohol affects us more than others for other reasons that I'll get into at a later date.

Regardless, it's true that we're more susceptible to drug & alcohol abuse.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2013, 5:07 am

i became an alcoholic at 19

didn't drink before that much...

now recovering...though tonight was not successful.

one day at a time

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 10:54 am

my sense of taste is too developed and sensitive, and i cant drink because the taste is too strong, and i can only handle bland tastes. i doubt drinking too much has to do with asperger. i knew many nts who drank a lot, and many of which were alcoholics at a young age.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 12:46 pm

No, it is not more common in Aspies, being so NTs have such a big thing about alcohol. Some Aspies or shyer NTs just drink to either fit in or boost their social skills.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 5:44 pm

my theme song

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvSkTY-Ae-Y[/youtube]

SirReality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2013, 9:48 pm

I drink a lot. It relieves me and I love the numbed out feeling you get from drinking alcohol.

Recently, however, I have to watch myself because I'm at the point where when I start, I find it difficult to stop. My husband is helpful with that, in cutting me off that is.

I didn't think it was due to Asperger's, but who knows, having a one-track mind and then adding alcohol to the equation could produce a drinking problem.

SG78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2013, 9:59 pm

I've never been anything more than a "social" drinker, or have gone out and gotten the occasion 6-pack or bottle of booze (which lasts weeks/months). I'm fortunate in that I've never felt as though I had to depend on it.

Manamo1976
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2013, 11:13 am

I tend to drink all the beers the were popular in the US from the 1950's to the 1970's like Pabst Blue Ribbon, Ballatine Ale, and since I'm New England, Narragansett. I like Sam Adams every in a while. Also, when I'm at a bar, I like trying new beer.

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2013, 8:53 pm

i enjoy having a beer every now and then. i definitely would be doing it every day had i not met so many alcoholics. its just not a way of life i wanna see myself go down.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 9:03 pm

Never drunk, not once in my life.

Most adults would probably look at me crazy if I said that to them.

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2013, 11:37 pm

FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
Never drunk, not once in my life.

Most adults would probably look at me crazy if I said that to them.

probably best to keep it that way. ive blacked out too many times to count. apparently one time i was with 2 other people and we decided to walk up to the gas station for cigs after drinking straight vodka (skol... blagh) and when we got there i decided i needed to pee. so rather than walk inside and go to the bathroom, i 'whipped it out' right there and marked my territory on pump 1. then walked inside without exactly 'putting it away'. its hilarious but no one wants to be that guy. im glad to say i dont drink to get drunk anymore, maybe buzzed but rarely.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2013, 3:32 pm

I personally do not like drink since I do not like the sensation of not having control over my thoughts. I get nervous about the fact that the alcohol may be making me behave in a socially abnormal way and say awkward, unfunny things and for this reason it induces anxiety. It is the same with marijuana. I get the sense that I am behaving very differently from everyone else around me in the external world and my thought patterns have become distorted. Sad but true. Wish I could drink though. It would help socializing and the the few friends I have seem very happy on it.

Larsen80
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2013, 4:31 pm

Growing up in a working class home alcohol has never been a choice. Got peer pressured into binge drinking at age 14. Drinking myself pissed regularly since then.

saxifraga
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2013, 4:54 pm

I love to drink but hate being drunk. Teens through college age I drank way too much by any standard. Got tired of it. I still drink but in moderation, been making my own homebrew and wine for years, im happy with a little quality over a lot of quantity.

cannabis, one of my hyperfocus subjects since the mid 80's. again, moderation is key but in my case that more than anything has helped me maintain an even keel going through life. Being blessed with two green thumbs helps too.

i concur the post about todays acid being dirty. old school stuff you dont see anymore and is why ive not touched it since early 90's. when bona fide hippies tell you to shy away its probably good advice. mushrooms far better and safer. I dont think id drop acid now even if Dr. Tim gave it to me himself.

Give me just a toke or two, a Rusty Nail in a highball glass and Im a happy man.