Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:33 pm

I don't understand compulsory greetings. I don't understand why complete strangers are expected to say "hello" when they pass one another. I don't understand why I am required to greet each and every customer that comes to my register instead of just working. Getting them in and out quickly. Who goes to a grocery store for conversation? Our customers, apparently. Which...is OK. I mean, if they feel like having a conversation while I scan and bag their stuff, that's fine. But why am I required to initiate the interaction? Why does it matter? If THEY want to talk, they'll talk regardless of whether I have greeted them.

Why does our society put so much importance in pointless conversation? Why do we ask questions that we don't REALLY care to hear the answers to? "How are you?" rarely means that the person asking genuinely wants to hear the answer. They typically want to hear "fine. how are you?". What is the damn point? Discuss.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:41 pm

JOIN THE CLUB!! !! !! ! I say it ONLY out of habit, because all have done it with me, but I give time for an answer and react. If they DON'T answer I will say, hopefully loud enough for them to hear, "THAT bad, huh?".

Where I am now, if I DARE call the hotel, they give me the "HI, it's a great day at ...., this is ...., can I help you?". And places like Mcdonald's try to upsell before I even order. I never really hear them, and HATE the noise, so I just yell NO THANKS!

BTW your avatar shows the surprise and inquisitive look that really FITS here! 8-)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 May 2011, 8:45 pm

I do not understand this either. I remember my ex insisted that I ask her how her day was to prove to her that I was interested, but I felt (and still feel) that if she had a remarkable day, she would say so, and if she did not have a remarkable day, why should I ask about it every day? I did go with asking her because this was apparently a big thing and a minor compromise, but I do not get it.

I worked in McDonald's as a teenager. The main things I remember are:

* Learning social scripts for greeting people and thanking them
* Spending about 1/4-1/3 of every shift in the restroom dealing with sensory overload.

I find that I still fall back on those scripts for many social interactions.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:50 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I do not understand this either. I remember my ex insisted that I ask her how her day was to prove to her that I was interested, but I felt (and still feel) that if she had a remarkable day, she would say so, and if she did not have a remarkable day, why should I ask about it every day? I did go with asking her because this was apparently a big thing and a minor compromise, but I do not get it.

* Spending about 1/4-1/3 of every shift in the restroom dealing with sensory overload.

I work for 8 hours and get one 10 minute break. I spend the entirety of said break with my eyes closed, headphones on, and music as loud as it can go.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:52 pm

Verdandi wrote:

Mcdonald's USED to simply take your order. NOW, they sometimes try to upsell me(ONE PERSON) THREE TIMES on one order! They may suggest a meal up front, Suggest a shake, and then an apple pie. BIG waste of time. If they were as bad as godaddy, I would just LEAVE!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:54 pm

blackcat wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I work for 8 hours and get one 10 minute break. I spend the entirety of said break with my eyes closed, headphones on, and music as loud as it can go.

WOW, I think you are entitled to at least 45 minutes for lunch, and 15 minutes for a break. You should check. And careful with the headphones.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 May 2011, 8:56 pm

blackcat wrote:

My managers kept getting shirty because I had so many bathroom breaks.

I think at 8 hours I'd get one thirty minute break and two ten minute breaks. What kind of place only gives you a 10 minute break for an 8 hour day?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:58 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Mcdonald's USED to simply take your order. NOW, they sometimes try to upsell me(ONE PERSON) THREE TIMES on one order! They may suggest a meal up front, Suggest a shake, and then an apple pie. BIG waste of time. If they were as bad as godaddy, I would just LEAVE!

When was that "used to?" I worked there in the 80s, and I had to upsell constantly.

My performance reviews were always fun: "Needs to smile at the customers more." "Needs to remember to say 'have a nice day.'" etc. etc.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:17 pm

Verdandi wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

When was that "used to?" I worked there in the 80s, and I had to upsell constantly.

My performance reviews were always fun: "Needs to smile at the customers more." "Needs to remember to say 'have a nice day.'" etc. etc.

HMMM, Maybe it is just the ones I went to in california. Frankly, I don't like having to listen for a couple minutes before telling them what I want.

Ever try to get a domain name on godaddy? They take a SIMPLE task that almost EVERYONE goes there to do, and lead you through a test of sorts. If you slip up, your $1 order could quickly go to $100! Between private domain registration, hostng, etc....

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:20 pm

I worked at McDonalds for a while as a teenager and they required the cashier to upsell. They were trained to do it, and if someone higher up like from the head store was watching you, or if there was a mystery shopper (someone in disguise as a regular customer who was really judging how well you followed procedure/how good the service was) you'd better be upselling.

I learned their scripts and was pretty good in parroting what I was supposed to say. I could get from "Good morning, how can I help you" all the way to "Thanks, have a nice day." just from repetition. It was the customers who wanted to have conversations that I had more trouble with.

They constantly told me I needed to take more initiative.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:21 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
HMMM, Maybe it is just the ones I went to in california. Frankly, I don't like having to listen for a couple minutes before telling them what I want.

Upselling is supposed to work like:

You give your order, and then the person ringing you up asks if you'd like that to be a meal, or would you like to super-size that, etc. And maybe get you to buy a pie or something with it. You shouldn't have to wait a long time to give your order, and if you say "This is fine" they should usually let it go.

Quote:
Ever try to get a domain name on godaddy? They take a SIMPLE task that almost EVERYONE goes there to do, and lead you through a test of sorts. If you slip up, your $1 order could quickly go to $100! Between private domain registration, hostng, etc....

I've never even looked at godaddy.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:44 pm

Greeting is just about being polite. If you are working in customer service greeting your customers is even more important, because you are representing your company. I work in customer service, and being nice with customers makes a HUGE difference. If you treat them nice they are more likely to come back.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:55 pm

i am expected to make small talk at nmy job, and i suck. if the client says one small thing outside of the ordinary, i get confused and go blank.

YES:

me: hello, how are you?
them: fine, how are you?

-or-

them: fine, how's the weather there?

NO:

them: fine, but why is the hold music so boring?

i even have trouble if coworkers ask me how my weekend went or something. i can never remember anything about it, so it takes me few long seconds to retrieve the information.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:55 pm

One cannot be nice without initiating ultimately pointless chit chat? Isn't the actual, you know, work more important?

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 10:06 pm

The chit-chat is actually part of your work. Your work is not only get money from your customer, but try to do it again. If you are nice enough the customer would like to buy again from your store. My husband and I only buy from stores which workers are nice to us. If workers are rude we wont buy from that store again. Being nice is an important part of customer service.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 10:09 pm

And this right here is why I could never get a job working for McDonalds.