Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

aspardon
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2011, 7:09 am

Well I dont know if you all have agorpahobia somehwat to?

Due to aspergers?

I hate leaving house to much noise, dynamic environment, strangers, people, cars, stimualtion etc..

As for work people, bosses, bright lights, busy offices etc.....

I have delivered pizzas and worked as security in an empty building. BUt I have a degree and I got the highest physics and maths grades in the whole of my country at high shcool so what a waste of intelligence??

Anyway I dont care about that but im unemployed again with a great education but unable to do any careers.

Social work, careers people are no help at all. I have realised there is minimal help for people like us from the goverment as far as im concerened.

Any ideas on careers.

Things I thoguth but all have some drawbacks or unrealistic

Musician
slef employed accountant/bookkeeper
Artist
Photographer

Niamh
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2011, 7:40 am

Hi,

I used to have social phobia but I gradually got over the fear. I haven't really become better with people, only at pretending, but I can at least be around people and not feel terrified. Same with sensory overload and all the other stuff - I'm far less fearful of non-Asperger's-friendly places/situations, so even though it doesn't make them easier to tolerate it does feel better to be able to be in those situations and not panic. That has allowed me to just throw myself at situations that are difficult for me in spite of how harsh it will be on my thinking and my senses. At least I can try things... So I'd recommend you focus on working on those fearful feelings you get first - you already have barriers with Asperger's Syndrome, but fear is an added barrier on top and at least it can definitely be removed :-)

So, small steps are best... Maybe try this method for just 5 minutes at a time, once a day and increasing gradually as you get better at it...

Stand outside your home for short periods of time and just be aware of your surroundings... Listen to the sounds, feel the temperature, smell the air, see the sunlight... and, while doing that, observe what you're feeling. You may be quite nervous within a short space of time, I'm not sure exactly how all this stuff affects you, but anyway, take one sensory experience at a time and ask yourself, "It feels unpleasant- but will this do me any harm?" The answer, of course, is going to be "no"... For example, you feel uncomfortable because there's a breeze brushing your skin. Let yourself be aware of it, and acknowledge how uncomfortable it feels - then observe that you're feeling agitated, maybe anxious, or even angry, and then remind yourself that, while it's not nice, the breeze won't harm you. Then move on to the other sensory experiences and do the same.

Also, if you feel medication might be an option, don't be afraid to try it. Temple Grandin uses a tiny dose of Prozac every day to take the edge off her anxiety - but she stresses that you should stick with one very small dose per day.

I can't recommend highly enough that you work on that anxiety in whatever way suits you. Asperger's can make us do things in a seemingly awkward and inappropriate way to others, from social interaction to dealing with sensory stimulants, and these can makes us fail to get places because people don't like or understand our differences - but you can always try, and you can sometimes find people who are accepting and see your talents instead of your troubles. But fear will stop you from even trying in the first place, and as the saying goes, if you don't ask, the answer is always "no". I understand, for example, that I am limited severely when it comes to making friends, but because I try sometimes regardless of my problems, I have discovered that there are a small number of people out there who are open and easy-going when it comes to meeting people and that those are the people I will find suitable as friends - however, when I had social phobia, I didn't even try to make friends, so I was never able to realise that.

I know I'm rambling a bit, sorry I'm so long-winded in my response, but I just hope to stress the benefits of breaking down fear barriers. You get a much clearer view of yourself and of everything/everyone around you when your thoughts aren't blurred by negative feelings. You'll find career-seeking less daunting when you don't have that fear in your way, and you'll at least give yourself chances of finding something. Also, you can keep your problems secret in interviews etc. but then once you've been hired, you can start using things like tinted glasses and stim toys at work, and if the boss asks about them, you can disclose your condition - but you'll already have been hired ;) Admittedly I'm still a student and am not yet at the stage of having a proper career going, so I can't advise much regarding careers...

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 8:11 am

Do you like programming?

Look into writing smart phone apps. Build a couple of clever ones then shop your services around. You never have to leave your home. You could even build an online persona that is not reflective of your agoraphobic tendencies.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 8:20 am

aspardon wrote:
Well I dont know if you all have agorpahobia somehwat to?

Due to aspergers?

I hate leaving house to much noise, dynamic environment, strangers, people, cars, stimualtion etc..

As for work people, bosses, bright lights, busy offices etc.....

I have delivered pizzas and worked as security in an empty building. BUt I have a degree and I got the highest physics and maths grades in the whole of my country at high shcool so what a waste of intelligence??

Anyway I dont care about that but im unemployed again with a great education but unable to do any careers.

Social work, careers people are no help at all. I have realised there is minimal help for people like us from the goverment as far as im concerened.

Any ideas on careers.

Things I thoguth but all have some drawbacks or unrealistic

Musician
slef employed accountant/bookkeeper
Artist
Photographer

Find work in those underground neutrino detectors. You will be working in closed in mines which would be kind to your agoraphobia.

ruveyn

identity
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 8:36 am

Hi Aspardon
I don't know how severe agoraphobia affects you but I am affected by it aswell. I do go out for short times but not without feeling anxious and only certain places. I am in pretty much the same situation work wise; I have spent time trying to think and research whether there is work possible from home; alas I haven't found anything yet! One thing I am considering is retraining in something else maybe through an online course (although I can't immediately due to a few things going on right now) but in the not too distant future I hope to, have you considered anything like that?
I can only reiterate what Niamh has said about working on the anxiety which is what I am currently trying to do, trying to increase the time spent out of the house gradually. It can be frustrating as sometimes you have bad days, or things disrupt your plans etc. but we just have to try and not be too harsh on ourselves (I know this is easier said than done!) and try again the next day. I know what you mean about not enough support being available, which is a bit of a joke with the government trying to get people off benefits and back to work! (In the UK that is). Anyway I'll finish there before I go off on a rant! All the best.