Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do autistic people think differently about happiness?
Yes 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
There is a differce, but it's not significant 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
There are numerous differences, but some similarities too 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
I don't know 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 27

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 7:06 am

What autistic people think about happiness? Is it significantly different from what most people think about it, or something similar?

I believe happiness is something you need to feel inside, and it is a combined result of health, mental peace, and physical wealth, in order of importance. One major difference could be that I really find this rank of factors important, and I'm not just saying it, like many people seem to do.

I would be very happy if I had a mate, a girlfriend to whom I could press my body, feel her skin, see her beauty, and who would regard me as a valuable persons with all my quirks, whom she can trust, and thus I could trust her too without inconvenience. I wish we could understand each other and not fight too much, just what is necessary. One step further, I'd like to see kids of us running around, to take care of them, play with them, teach them, being proud of them. Eventually, my longing for lost childhood would end seeing this marvel of the world.

Feel free to comment! :)

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2011, 7:59 am

I just see it as a random emotion I feel on occasion. But then again I'm bipolar which effects my view on it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 8:52 am

Happiness is a feeling that I get on the inside, by doing the things that make me happy, each day.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 9:00 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Happiness is a feeling that I get on the inside, by doing the things that make me happy, each day.

Correction:

"Happiness is a feeling that I get on the inside, when I hear a song of the Kinks" :wink:

MyDogSasha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

if i never had panic attacks and am healthy then id be really happy.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm

Chummy wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Correction:

"Happiness is a feeling that I get on the inside, when I hear a song of the Kinks" :wink:

I'm sure it's among those things. :)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

I don't know really. Happiness is one of those rather vague words that everyone uses, and has a slightly different interpretation of. I believe that pleasure, for example, can be misconstrued as happiness. Eating a cake doesn't make me happy. But some might say pleasure is the same as happiness, and lack of pleasure is a cause of unhappiness.

I think the causes of happiness can be different for many people but there are probably some components of happiness that are common to all. I believe that we can all do some things to increase our happiness no matter what the conditions of our life are like. I am thoroughly Buddhist in that regard. I am happiest when I am peaceful and present in my life.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 2:06 pm

Happiness for me, is what I aim to achieve. That's pretty much all I know about it. I try to live life and base my decisions on how happy they would make me. Probably flawed, but I live a pretty good life as a result.

Well, not totally. I tend to put other people's happiness before mine, which is a good thing in moderation, but sometimes that happens too much.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Perhaps my initial approach is only a little more than daydreaming, since as you write, happiness may be something much less pathetic, by simply doing the things you like to do. :)

I suspect many of us have moderate needs in terms of wealth, and as long as health is given, it's only how we imagine our future in what we differ a little. For me, it's been many years I've felt myself alright, and I wasn't so sentimental during this period like now, I lived my life, I was OK.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 2:15 pm

I'm pretty happy without having much "wealth". I come from a very poor background so wealth doesn't exactly conjure happy thoughts for me.

All I need is an instrument. And I will be completely fulfilled and happy. :P

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

Moog wrote:
I don't know really. Happiness is one of those rather vague words that everyone uses, and has a slightly different interpretation of. I believe that pleasure, for example, can be misconstrued as happiness. Eating a cake doesn't make me happy. But some might say pleasure is the same as happiness, and lack of pleasure is a cause of unhappiness.

Yes, it's vague, I've even considered an option "What's happiness?" to add to the list. Being an emotion, it's not a concept that we supposedly understand easily. What you describe here is reminds me of hedonism, which lack spiritual motives, so it's quite likely you are right saying it's misconstrued.

Moog wrote:
I think the causes of happiness can be different for many people but there are probably some components of happiness that are common to all. I believe that we can all do some things to increase our happiness no matter what the conditions of our life are like. I am thoroughly Buddhist in that regard. I am happiest when I am peaceful and present in my life.

I think I'm also drawn toward eastern philosophies, especially Buddhism. Much hustle could be spared in the world if more people would think similarly.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:13 pm

Jonsi wrote:
Happiness for me, is what I aim to achieve. That's pretty much all I know about it. I try to live life and base my decisions on how happy they would make me. Probably flawed, but I live a pretty good life as a result.

By flawed, I can imagine what you'd think. In my case, there's a lot to think of. :) I'm working on it...

Jonsi wrote:
Well, not totally. I tend to put other people's happiness before mine, which is a good thing in moderation, but sometimes that happens too much.

If you deliberately adjust your behavior to be more positive to others, especially family members and friends, your sense of reciprocity is still may be behind, most likely somewhat poor. It's natural. I think it's better to give more than what you receive, in case you didn't judge properly, you'd be still better off.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:15 pm

Happiness is a fleeting emotion. It's rather like anger... cannot be maintained indefinitely.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:26 pm

Jonsi wrote:
I'm pretty happy without having much "wealth". I come from a very poor background so wealth doesn't exactly conjure happy thoughts for me.

Guess what, in the past couple of hours I've taken good use of a harmonica. My dad, my sister and I played it, we blew tunes on it for our own pleasure, quite happily. :)

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:30 pm

OJani wrote:
Jonsi wrote:

Guess what, in the past couple of hours I've taken good use of a harmonica. My dad, my sister and I played it, we blew tunes on it for our own pleasure, quite happily. :)
I love the harmonica, but do I own one? Nooooooo.

Music is my way to getting happy. :D I suppose that just fits with earlier comments of doing what makes you happy.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

Happiness depends on the individual, not what neurology they have.