Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 9:49 am

There is no prove of the big bang theory. It is just a theory and it has not been proved.

lastwish
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2006, 10:24 am

TigerFire wrote:
Yet nothing with God is impossible.

but the bible did not say that god enhanced the structual integrity of wood and magically made a giant boat, the proceeded to zap all the animals into it. The bible says noa did it himself, which is impossible..

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 11:47 am

Why isnt this in religion?

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 3:18 pm

Excatly Ilikedragons. I wondering why this isn't in religion my self.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 4:14 pm

TigerFire wrote:
krex wrote:
Tigerfire...dont worry about offending me...I am use to people who call themselves Christians not caring about other peoples beliefs and feelings...it's pretty much what I expect from some groups of them...ie..the not very bright, completly brainwashed ones who did little but regertitate the retoretic they have been feed every Sunday.I doubt you know anythin about Christian Science other then what some one in your church has told you...."they are a cult"....I hope you will eventually learn to think for yourself but I know that is more then everyone is capable of doing...some folks just need to belong to a group who can define their reality for them...It can be so painful to have to do research outside your current belief system and question the validity of those beliefs...Dont feel bad...most of the world believes as you do....that they are right and everyone else is wrong...of course, not all of them have the audacity of those Christians who condemn "nonbelievers" to eternal hell...how compassionate!! !

Actually I am thinking for my self. I'm not under some magical spell of Christainty. Because there is none. All of it is the truth. I think you were the one that was brainwashed. "THEY ARE A CULT" Yes they are no one actually has told me that from church I learned that one my self. There is actually a book of cults that have been written and Christian Scientists is one of them. Actually researching into other things is a fear because I'm afriad that I will be brainwashed to believe in the other things. No I'm going to reasearch. I take that "eventually learn to think for your self" as an insult. Christians haven't been brainwashed in your eyes they have but none have. They became Christians willingly. How stupid do you think we Christians are? Not all Christians condemn nonbelievers like you say they do. You've met the wrong type of Christians the so called Christains the ones playing church. Not all folks need to belong to a group. You're speaking just like a know it all Scientist that you were raised to be.

Well that's all from me.

You are quite right that Christian Science is accepted to be a cult of Christianity. Those who get so "outraged" about that simply do not understand the concept of what is considered a "cult" - it is nothing "personal" but merely that the teachings of such a group deviate from the Bible and focus on the extra biblical ideas of an individual (prophet, prophetess, ect). My great grandfather was a Seventh Day Adventist minister - which is also considered by many to be a cult of Christianity because of it's reliance on the teaching of Ms. White much like the Christian Scientist reliance on the teachings of Ms. Eddy. Other Christian denominations actually can fall into this catagory either through misinterpretation of the bible, extra-biblical teachings, or exaltation of a single individual who is supposed to have extrordinary power over the lives of those in the group. And a cult can go beyond religion also into the business world or even to any adherents to a certain system or belief.

Also - generally those who claim that Christians don't understand are often really the ones whose dislike of religion and Christianity in general prevent them from looking logically at the situation. Christians are not to supress or hate their neighbor and those that do are not acting like a Christian should. However, those who attempt to discredit Christians will then say that is what Christianity is all about instead of affording it the same curtesy they would afford any other group and not judge everyone on the behavior of some. So by the very unChristian behavior of a certain groups it is used as an excuse to try and paint all of Christianity in a certain light.

And really, no one HAS to be accepting of anyone else's beliefs. So the idea that Christians are somehow "bad" for doing that is faulty reasoning. Secularists can be equally intolerant of other people's beliefs yet they somehow proclaim that their beliefs are justified because they are "right" in their eyes. Just like the "do not judge" argument - anyone with remedial knowledge of the Bible would know that Christians are to judge and use discernment fairly. Another thing that quite clearly betrays their underlying (intolerance?) of those who are Christian is that they assume that only those who have been raised in exclusively Christian homes and are brainwashed believe in Christianity. Which is patently untrue because many have become Christians as adults having plenty of experience in the "real" world and as intelligent persons. This also assumes a Western European interpretation of Christianity without taking into consideration many Christians are not white Europeans whose society has been built around Christianity so they know no different. If they were truly tolerant then they would say that they would accept that others would have beliefs different from them without resorting to derogatory comments.

disneyhound
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2006, 8:58 pm

walk-in-the-rain wrote:
...Secularists can be equally intolerant of other people's beliefs yet they somehow proclaim that their beliefs are justified because they are "right" in their eyes...

Exactly; the secular left (a.k.a the ACLU) has absolutely no torrerance towards Christianity. Not until every Cross or Star of David is ripped from every war memorial or government owned/run piece of property. I am not offended by religion! I am not afriad of religion! I just don't understand it...

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

22 Aug 2006, 4:09 am

disneyhound wrote:
walk-in-the-rain wrote:
...Secularists can be equally intolerant of other people's beliefs yet they somehow proclaim that their beliefs are justified because they are "right" in their eyes...

Exactly; the secular left (a.k.a the ACLU) has absolutely no torrerance towards Christianity. Not until every Cross or Star of David is ripped from every war memorial or government owned/run piece of property. I am not offended by religion! I am not afriad of religion! I just don't understand it...

I'm not offended by religion either, but I want it the hell out of my government. I really resent having to stand up and pledge allegience to God every frikkin' morning at school, for one thing.

Dandelion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2006, 6:22 am

SolaCatella wrote:
I'm not offended by religion either, but I want it the hell out of my government. I really resent having to stand up and pledge allegience to God every frikkin' morning at school, for one thing.

I opt out of that, these days, *because* I'm religious. "One nation under God" smacks of Dominion Theology, which I am very, very wary of.

Last edited by Dandelion on 22 Aug 2006, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 10:16 am

Actually really religion is what this country was founded on.

Dandelion

22 Aug 2006, 12:41 pm

TigerFire wrote:

umm..... I had the distinct impression the US was founded on a hodgepodge of greed, imperialism, religion, slavery, free enterprise, indentured servitude, fur trade, and genocide, among other things. Plymouth gets all the press, but it's hardly the whole story. I'm really glad their (intolerant, Quaker-murdering) religion isn't what America was founded on... yeesh.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 12:49 pm

SolaCatella wrote:
aspiegirl2 wrote:
You can say the same about the Bible; I couldn't understand it quite as much and I couldn't pay attention to it at all before I had the Holy Spirit.

Actually, I've read most of the Bible (found Leviticus and the other books of Jewish Law in the Old Testament far too boring). I just never got any more out of it than I got out of any other culture's set of mythology.

I've read most of the Bible before I was saved through church, reading Bible stories and verses and what-not, but I just couldn't sit down and read it for myself; I just couldn't pay that much attention really well before God opened my eyes. I just used to think church and reading the Bible were useless and time-wasting before; now to me as a Christian they aren't anymore.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 2:14 pm

Dandelion wrote:
TigerFire wrote:

umm..... I had the distinct impression the US was founded on a hodgepodge of greed, imperialism, religion, slavery, free enterprise, indentured servitude, fur trade, and genocide, among other things. Plymouth gets all the press, but it's hardly the whole story. I'm really glad their (intolerant, Quaker-murdering) religion isn't what America was founded on... yeesh.

No our founding fathers were all Christians.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 4:50 pm

TigerFire wrote:
Dandelion wrote:
TigerFire wrote:

No our founding fathers were all Christians.

Deists, actually, which is not the same thing at all.

By the way, that whole Pledge of America thing I mentioned? "Under God" was only put in during the fifties because of the Red Scare (OMG GODLESS COMMMIES! WE MUST BE GODLY AND CAPITALISTIC! EVERYTHING IS EITHER FOR AMERICA OR AGAINST IT!), and the original version had 'equality' in it. The writer of the Pledge, a Deist himself, would have been horrified by the 'Under God' addition.

LadyMcBeth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2006, 5:44 pm

I'm not offended by religion either, but I want it the hell out of my government. I really resent having to stand up and pledge allegience to God every frikkin' morning at school, for one thing.[/quote]

You might want to quit resenting saying the pledge every morning and listen to the words, nowhere do we pledge allegiance to GOD its to our country, One nation under God. And this country and what it stands for is what gives you and me the right to say what ever we want nomatter who disagrees with it.

LadyMcBeth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2006, 5:57 pm

lastwish wrote:
TigerFire wrote:
Yet nothing with God is impossible.

but the bible did not say that god enhanced the structual integrity of wood and magically made a giant boat, the proceeded to zap all the animals into it. The bible says noa did it himself, which is impossible..

You might want to read the story of Noah again Noah was 500 years old when he had his kids and 600 years old when the ark was finished and the flood came. I believe anyone could build and ark in 100 years but the Bible say Noah walked with God so even better! Common sense would also say his 3 sons helped him. Familys worked together back then.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 7:25 pm

LadyMcBeth wrote:
Sola wrote:

You might want to quit resenting saying the pledge every morning and listen to the words, nowhere do we pledge allegiance to GOD its to our country, One nation under God. And this country and what it stands for is what gives you and me the right to say what ever we want nomatter who disagrees with it.

All right, I resent having to say 'under God' when I do not in fact believe that any such creature exists. Does that make you feel better? And for the record, I don't have another choice. At the school I go to, the Pledge is mandatory every single morning, and I know that my parents (who are Catholic, as I said earlier) would not support me in this.

I'm not disagreeing with your right to say the Pledge as it is currently written. I'm disagreeing that governments should give preference to any religion, which by the way is forbidden by a little thing called the Seperation of State and Church (and yes, the way the Pledge is currently written, it gives a preference for monotheistic religions) and particularly disagreeing that I be mandated to swear an oath that involves my speaking as if I believe a god exists.

Hey, I'd be thrilled if it were the original Pledge that were instituted in the US! I just do not like the 'under God' clause.