Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Jory wrote:
I'd rather drink battery acid than suffer through another episode of that show.

Do I sense a bit of sarcasm there? :lol:

More like exaggeration for effect. I will, however, admit to occasionally letting some sarcasm slip out. I think it's just due to being the product of a society that constantly uses sarcasm. Even if you despise sarcasm, try as you might, it's going to come out of your mouth every now and then.

But seriously, downing battery acid can't be much worse than watching that colostomy bag of a TV show.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

BearSalad wrote:
I say no to every question some expects a Yes too..

That's the extent of my Sarcasm.

I can pick up on and understand most Sarcasm, but I do fail every now and then, most recently was when I was eating Ice Cream, in a Cone.

Somebody asked me "How's the Cone?" And I replied with, and in all seriousness, "Well, I'm not sure, I haven't finished the top layer of Ice Cream yet"

He just called me a dumbass and walked away.

Oh well.

I don't think that's sarcasm. That's just responding too literally to a question. By "cone" he probably meant the cone and ice cream together. People are un-logical like that. Maybe he thought you were being a smartass on purpose. I'd probably say the same thing though. More interesting than just saying "good" or whatever.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

Jory wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Jory wrote:
I'd rather drink battery acid than suffer through another episode of that show.

Do I sense a bit of sarcasm there? :lol:

More like exaggeration for effect. I will, however, admit to occasionally letting some sarcasm slip out. I think it's just due to being the product of a society that constantly uses sarcasm. Even if you despise sarcasm, try as you might, it's going to come out of your mouth every now and then.

But seriously, downing battery acid can't be much worse than watching that colostomy bag of a TV show.

Well, people get sloppy with actual definitions and call anything that employs hyperbole and/or sardonic humor "sarcastic".

I'm not particularly sarcastic. I'm sardonic.

Gallowglass
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

i hate it wen rude people assume dat club doormen are thik and take the mikey of us.

the 1s in the VIP room are da worst for this its the pits but you keep smilin cos the caqsh is good

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

marshall wrote:
Well, people get sloppy with actual definitions and call anything that employs hyperbole and/or sardonic humor "sarcastic".

In keeping with the Aspie spirit of excessive pedantry, a cursory Internet search for synonyms of "sardonic" most commonly finds "sarcastic". This would suggest that sardonic humor and sarcastic humor are only slightly different shades of the same thing.

sar·casm
   /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Show Spelled[sahr-kaz-uhm]
–noun
harsh or bitter derision or irony.
a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

sar·don·ic
adj \sär-ˈdä-nik\
Definition of SARDONIC
: disdainfully or skeptically humorous : derisively mocking <a sardonic comment>

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2011, 4:10 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
marshall wrote:

In keeping with the Aspie spirit of excessive pedantry, a cursory Internet search for synonyms of "sardonic" most commonly finds "sarcastic". This would suggest that sardonic humor and sarcastic humor are only slightly different shades of the same thing.

sar·casm
   /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Show Spelled[sahr-kaz-uhm]
–noun
harsh or bitter derision or irony.
a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

sar·don·ic
adj \sär-ˈdä-nik\
Definition of SARDONIC
: disdainfully or skeptically humorous : derisively mocking <a sardonic comment>

sardonicism sounds like it would be hmm perhaps the comment "Yeah, when pigs fly" is sardonic.

Sarcasm perhaps more like "Yeah, when pigs fly. Oh wait, you are a pilot."

Sarcasm is usually a comment that is aggressive, you attack someone with the comment. This makes sarcasm used on strangers to come across as being incredibly rude.

chriscross1966
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2011, 7:11 am

oddone wrote:
I wrote something sarcastic on here recently and I think it went right over someone's head.

They were probably American.... the Septics just don't get irony or sarcasm..

This is a link to a picture of my lighting rig in action

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:57 am

chriscross1966 wrote:
oddone wrote:
I wrote something sarcastic on here recently and I think it went right over someone's head.

Spot on. We Americans have no sense of humor.

Now where is that bible ...

Oh, here it is, wrapped in the flag ...

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 10:04 am

I also don't really get joking. I wonder if the person is really joking and I have to ask them if they were.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2011, 10:11 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
chriscross1966 wrote:
oddone wrote:

Spot on. We Americans have no sense of humor.

But they have nicer teeth than us. :)

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

Thanx for attacking us. We get joking just not sarcasm based on the backlash over Gervais at the Oscars.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 10:54 am

Clowns vs Jesters ....imo

A clown will spray someome in the face with a squirting flower. In general mockery and ridicule.

A Jester will make you think and figure out the play on words and tricks of illusion..a good magician

its all a matter of its intent and content, I very much enjoy the playful or ironic use of wordplay but not at someone expense.

A friend of mine is REALLY good at what could best be desctibed as one word sarcasm extracting the dual or wrong usage word out of its context and pointing it out by simply reiterating it. My friends are mostly teachers so proper usage is an ongoing theme of discussion among us.

My style is more traditional. multiple topics tied together with a certain selection of words. My dad pointed out how Johnny Carson did it when I was 9 yrs old. I tend to pick out the use/mis-use of disclaimers, technical terms or impossible physics a bit more than others. Infomercials are prime pickings, along with the Sci-Fi channel

Being an aspie has probably inspired my dislike for the wrong usage in those respects.

....I thought the, "cone,...not there yet" comment was hillarious !

selin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
izzeme wrote:
i won't say flat out unable, but sarcasm is harder for most autistics then for NT's
i myself are quite decent in understanding it (although i do fail every now and then) and also use some, if i feel it is appropriate.

Same. This statement is something I can understand.

Me too...it's hard to know whether some people are just being particularly clever with sarcasm or not. When someone says "OH GREAT" in an effusive way in response to a blatantly terrible/annoying thing that has just happened then I can tell it's sarcasm. If the person has altered their tone in a dramatic way and is using a simple form of sarcasm then I can always tell. In the past I've got confused and couldn't tell whether it was just because this person was more subtle with their sarcasm, although they were often surprised that I took them so literally which meant they probably didn't realise they were being so subtle or I couldn't pick up on it.
I feel like this issue of taking things literally doesn't just occur with sarcasm but also when people say something light heartedly as a joke and the recipient takes it too seriously or gives it too much salience. This is something I also do...still I've never pathologised this, I always just saw it as part of my personality. It's somehow difficult to see it as "autistic" or hardwired. I also pretty much never perform sarcasm myself. I often feel no desire to or feel like I can't really do it well. I'd either make it too 'complex' or too awkward. It would be *really* forced, is what I mean.

steelysunshine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2015, 1:21 pm

I can be sarcastic. But, other people don't usually get it. Maybe I am doing it wrong. They will say things like I can never tell when you are joking. Sometimes I make myself laugh or I go over the top with the dripping grating screechy sarcastic voice. I hate that voice, but when I use it no one accuses me of actually saying that I really do think it would be a good idea to hit myself in the head with a hammer if one more thing goes wrong today. Yes, someone actually thought I was going to do that.

I think I understand sarcasm better when other people do it. But, occasionally I will have to ask if someone is serious or not. They think I am weird, but how else am I supposed to determine their serious level?