Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:15 pm

When I was a kid, it was really hard for me to eat. I often felt like I was going to choke or throw up when eating...even food I liked. The weird thing is I was always thirsty and could never feel "unthiristy". I was tested for diabeatees umpteen times and the tests always came back negative. This still impacts me as an adult, if I can not have access to water or something to drink, I panic.

I was never allowed to drink as much as I needed in school because the teachers thought I drank "too fast" or too much. It always drives my mom crazy because she thinks I am going to damage my esophogas or something. My little neice and my older brother (her dad) say I should enter beer chugging contests and that I would probably win. My neice actualy used to chant "Chug it! Chug it!" whenever she saw me with a glass of water or can of pop.

I think not allowing me acess to water was just another way for my teachers to fulfill their dictator complex. I was on a lot of meds at the time and it was speficaly written into my IEP that I was allowed to have as much water as I needed but when my water bottle ran empty, I wasn't allowed to refill it and told that if I hadn't drank it so fast, I wouldn't be in that prediciment. I couldn't focus on my school work because of the thirst. My throat would get all stratchy and dry. I think my teachers sometimes would take my water bottle away because they didn't like how I drank. Maybe they didn't because if someone tried to jerk something out of my hand, they would be pulling back a bloody stump. Anyway, it just would not surprise me if they did take it away.

I naturaly had to use the restroom more often than the normal students but I was always denied becuase the teachers thought I was just going in there to play. Sometimes I did ask to use the restroom because I needed a break from the classroom situation. I would play in the bubbles in the sink but someone please explain to me why that was such a sin? :? Anyway, I would hold it and hold it until I couldn't any longer. I would either loose the sensation of needing to urniate or have an accident. school and the other kids would never let me forget it. :cry: My brother's girlfriend at the time said I should have just peed on the teacher's shoes and I wish I would have...or at least peed on a bully's lap. :twisted:

I always had urniary tract infections as a kid and I didn't stop wetting the bed until I was 14. I used to think it was because of the intense stress I was under but now I wonder if it's because my bladder was so constricted all the time. I wonder why I didn't just run away from the classroom and go to the bathroom anyway. I wasn't always the cocky hot headed "bad ass" b***h that I am today. My best friend always says I am "kind of a punk" and my neice (my other best friend basically) refers to me as "hardcore". I wonder if either one of them know why. Anyway, is constant thirst a usual trait of autism?

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

I'm always thirsty.

It tended to cause problems at work as I'd go through about a bottle of water every 30-60 minutes...my last two managers tried to stop me from using the bathroom or would make me ask for permission so they could monitor my bathroom breaks (I didn't).

Part of this with me was the act of putting something in my mouth and drinking, it's also a social aid in that it eases anxiety, it gives me something to do so I don't feel quite so exposed in front of others, and taking a drink is a good excuse not to clap after performances. Although a large part is a constant thirst - I thought that was down to smoking, but I've been smoke-free for 11 months now and the problem remains...doesn't help that I still sweat like crazy whenever I walk anywhere (no idea why my body does this).

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

livingsunset
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jun 2011, 9:40 pm

I drink a lot of fluids also and people were worried but I am fine.

I also had issues with not feeling the sensation to urinate, but instead had intense pain in my bladder. It happened once when I was a baby and again a few years ago. I am not sure what this has to do with autism.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

My daughter has Asperger's but she is the complete opposite. She does not drink enough water. I need to be constantly reminding her. It's like she never gets thirsty. The problem is she has bowel problems, so she needs to drink water. At least 8 glasses everyday, but she does not want to. And I cannot let her because I end up paying the doctors bill... :(

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 1:10 am

Yes, when I was young people throught that I had Diabetes even though I didn't.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 1:16 am

I'm constantly drinking something (soda, water, and coffee mostly) but I'm not sure if it's due to thirst or just some compulsion to be doing something with my hands since I can never sit still.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:15 am

i'm also always thirsty; i always have a bottle of water within an arms reach; and i spend more time drinking from it then it is just standing there...

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 3:56 am

Yes, I'm always thirsty. I've tested myself for diabetes (family members have it) & I don't have it. I assume that I have thyroid disorder (like my mother) but I'll put up with constant thirst. I've read that every medicine to treat a thyroid problem causes significant weight gain. I have enough food/body issues that I will not saddle myself with that.

HoodedShadow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2011, 9:10 am

I'm constantly thirsty too.
I drink all the time when I'm on my PC (70-95% of the day).
But when I'm not on PC I barely drink at all, eventhough I might get thirsty because I'm scared to use public toilets.

I know someone with undiagnosed asperger's and she never even gets the feeling of thirst and doesn't drink that much.

Email address: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhid ... 0lSIA-uw==

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

And NTs never get really thirsty. :roll:

Look, let's not associate everything with Asperger's Syndrome. I actually feel less thirsty than NTs do. When I was a child and other children came to my house, they were always demanding for drinks, and I never felt like having a drink, so my mum had to make me have one. I've always knew what being thirsty feels like, but I don't get constantly thirsty much - only when I'm due for a period, or when I'm run down with a cold, but that's normal.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm

Joe90 wrote:
And NTs never get really thirsty. :roll:

Look, let's not associate everything with Asperger's Syndrome. I actually feel less thirsty than NTs do. When I was a child and other children came to my house, they were always demanding for drinks, and I never felt like having a drink, so my mum had to make me have one. I've always knew what being thirsty feels like, but I don't get constantly thirsty much - only when I'm due for a period, or when I'm run down with a cold, but that's normal.

I said autism, not AS. Anyway, is there a corrulation?

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

I drink so much (water), and CONSTANTLY need to go to the bathroom; literally every 15 minutes, that I'm always getting told by doctors that I have diabetic symptoms, and that I need immediate medical attention. Not the case, thank God. But it's definitely abnormal, based on what everybody else considers a normal amount of thirst. I drink about 8 liters a day, and I begin to feel kind of a panic if I run out of water. I've always been this way, and in school, I was always getting accused of being a troublemaker for needing to be excused for the bathroom and the drinking fountain.

Charles

Flyingladder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

I love water I drink as much of it as I can or I feel .. not alright.

When I was younger I couldn't stand drinking liquids, it felt weird and kind of hurt going down, I used to not drink much at all because of the pain and texture of the liquid. It still feels weird to this day but I forced myself to get over it mostly, I can't swallow pills normally to save my life, I always have to choke them down also.

Malisha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

I can't leave the house without my water bottle. I'm constantly drinking water and having to pee. If I even start to get a little bit dehydrated, like after having some salty food, I start to feel tired and ill right away.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:42 pm

On a normal day I usually drink somewhere between 3 and 5 liters. Even then I always feel like my throat is dry. It can be annoying at times.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 8:51 pm

you may have kidney problems. try out a fluoride filter. i used to pee a lot more before i bought one. just look up fluoride and kidney problems. people with kidney problems have to pee more often.

http://cuzn.com/main_kitchen.html