Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm

oldmantime wrote:
how do you tell if you're paranoid and have strange ideas? especially strange ideas, what's a strange idea?
A diagnosis of schizotypal personality usually includes magical thinking. That is, believing that events that are unrelated to each other can influence one another's outcome. For instance, thinking that if you don't walk in a certain pattern then some catastrophe will occur. It also includes believing in signs and meaningful coincidences. For instance, you might think that a random billboard has hidden messages that are intended only for you.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

I can see how they could misdiagnosed with eachother. I think schizotypal usually has a far later onset than aspergers does. Here is a link about schizotypal:

http://schizotypaldisorder.webs.com/sch ... sorder.htm

Seems to have a lot of good information about it.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm

bee33 wrote:
oldmantime wrote:
how do you tell if you're paranoid and have strange ideas? especially strange ideas, what's a strange idea?
A diagnosis of schizotypal personality usually includes magical thinking. That is, believing that events that are unrelated to each other can influence one another's outcome. For instance, thinking that if you don't walk in a certain pattern then some catastrophe will occur. It also includes believing in signs and meaningful coincidences. For instance, you might think that a random billboard has hidden messages that are intended only for you.

i don't have any of that except that i can be a bit obsessive about weight when i put it on the bar (when lifting). i tend to prefer all the weights be the same brand and all that so that each side matches.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 11:28 pm

oldmantime wrote:

You'd be surprised how many paranoid people know they are paranoid.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 11:48 pm

bee33 wrote:
oldmantime wrote:

what about if you feel like someone's in the room with you but you're alone.......would that fall under that catagory or is it more like thinking having dreams simular to things that take place later on in life must mean you can dream about the future? I've had both of those experiances.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:23 am

I got 40 out of 74 on their silly quiz. Do I win something now?

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:30 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
bee33 wrote:
oldmantime wrote:

what about if you feel like someone's in the room with you but you're alone.......would that fall under that catagory or is it more like thinking having dreams simular to things that take place later on in life must mean you can dream about the future? I've had both of those experiances.
I really don't know, but I don't think that those are symptoms of schizotypal personality.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:39 am

bee33 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
bee33 wrote:
oldmantime wrote:

I really don't know, but I don't think that those are symptoms of schizotypal personality.

Well as far as I know I have aspergers, but those things don't seem to fit with that either.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2011, 11:56 pm

I am diagnosed with both Autism and Schizotypal personality disorder, so know the diagnoses CAN be given to the same person. Because they have overlap in symptoms some doctors think they cannot be given together when, actually, they can be! :wink:

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 12:24 am

Ilka wrote:
Yes, schizofrenia is a common misdiagnosis of Asperger's. To start with, I dont think a psychologist should give you a diagnosis. They are not even doctors. You need a neurologist to get an appropriate diagnosis. A neurologist will ran a series of tests, including measurement of your cerebral activity, to get the right diagnosis. That's the way my daughter got diagnosed after several psychiatrists provided different theories and tried different approaches, all wrong.

I agree with this, I think neurologist should be seen fist....but most of us don't get the opportunity to see them =/

If my most recent attempts at psychiatry diagnosis do not work out well I think I am going to see my GP about seeing a neurologist about brain damage (a possibility I am thinking)...seems like they might give me a referal then...though not sure.

Plus the tests they run are usually expensive...which I think is why they are harder to get to.

Having a conversation with someone is very cheap...(though psychs get paid decent) which I think is why psychiatry is the prefered method.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2011, 12:09 am

Before they changed my diagnosis to Schizoaffective it was Schizotypal PD and they did diagnose it at the same time as aspergers (not a different diagnosis on two different evaluations). Even my original SSI approval paper says I get SSI for Aspergers, ADHD, and Schizotypal PD. This was diagnosed by a social security psychistrist after reviewing my previous records.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2011, 1:15 am

I don't see a problem with the co-existence of two psychiatric problems. I have Asperger's, as well as schizoid personality. In my opinion, the two seem well associated, as schizoid personalities tend to keep to themselves.