Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 6:16 am

Verdandi wrote:
Despite that criteria, per Tony Attwood it seems that many people diagnosed with AS did have delays in the development of age-appropriate self help skills and adaptive behavior. I certainly did.

But then I also seem to fit the criteria for autism, and the criteria also says a diagnosis of autism should supercede AS, and that doesn't happen a lot either.

I've noticed this as well. It seems that Asperger's is the 'default' in some mental health circles for high functioning. Strictly interpreting the DSM-IV, I am more HFA than Asperger's. But my DX is Asperger's. This is one reason I don't get caught up in specific labels.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Jun 2011, 9:30 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Despite that criteria, per Tony Attwood it seems that many people diagnosed with AS did have delays in the development of age-appropriate self help skills and adaptive behavior. I certainly did.

But then I also seem to fit the criteria for autism, and the criteria also says a diagnosis of autism should supercede AS, and that doesn't happen a lot either.

I've noticed this as well. It seems that Asperger's is the 'default' in some mental health circles for high functioning. Strictly interpreting the DSM-IV, I am more HFA than Asperger's. But my DX is Asperger's. This is one reason I don't get caught up in specific labels.

Yes, I feel much the same way about the labels.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 10:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I can detect the varying degrees of AS just by reading the posts here.

Really, that's intriguing! could you give me an assessment...

I'd be curious as to what you think too! I write a lot differently than I speak and interact in the real world though....