Page 5 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

adventureaddict
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2011, 2:32 am

Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that no one of "us NTs" has any one trait that I can specifically apply to everyone and call annoying. I mean, seriously, EVERYONE is like... UNIQUE, or something. Gee whiz!

/Sarcasm Lol. :D

NUJV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2011, 10:50 am

One girl used her popularity to show me up. She called me up on one of my obsessions, making me seem weird and abnormal, and painted me as a racist, getting people to support her against me. NTs do stuff like that to me all the time.

aspie56
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2011, 11:07 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Another thing: their Facebook statuses. Especially the ones where they are cryptically having a go at someone.

NTs may act stupid, but I been friends with em my whole school year as an 8th grader. So I have no problems with NTs... their fine

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 11:13 am

They are competely pretentious!! !

Buck-oh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2011, 11:34 am

NUJV wrote:
One girl used her popularity to show me up. She called me up on one of my obsessions, making me seem weird and abnormal, and painted me as a racist, getting people to support her against me. NTs do stuff like that to me all the time.

It sounds like the actions of one person, and a small group of sycophants, are being attributed to a much larger population.

This is the problem with any kind of "us vs them" thinking. "Us" relies on selective bias in choosing a small sample of "them" and then attributing those characteristics to everyone outside the "us" group. Neurotypical is simply a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum, and includes people who would in no way be considered "typical" in either the NT or the AS community.

Complaining about NTs pushing easily recognizable social signals, like smiling or small talk is reasonable (because someone's asking you to communicate on a level that you may not be completely comfortable with). Attributing the actions of a small population with sadistic tendencies or cripplingly low self esteem to all people outside the AS community, is a bit of a stretch.

There is no "typical" neurotypical. Everyone processes information differently based on so many internal and external factors, NT or not.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

Well, a lot of us get to feeling so isolated among the people around us that it comes to seem that... well, this has been said before. It's the feeling that everyone is in on a joke but you. Everyone, NTs, Aspies, whoever, knows how bad it feels when you realize, when you go from having gone on for years maybe thinking you were laughing with people who turn around and laugh at you when you leave the room. Most of us have had that happen while we were in the room. Add to that all the people who seem to be angry at you for just being who you are, and finally the recognition that you would have to put on an act, pretending to be someone completely different, before you could be found acceptable, much less liked, and the point finally arrives.

It becomes easy, then, to settle into the place that seems to have made itself for you without your leave or awareness, and that place is the marble outside the circle, the square peg, the black sheep, the thing that is outside. And if you are the one thing outside, everyone else is inside. And why is that? If you are then classified as something fundamentally other than they are, Aspie, and that means that everyone who has never accepted you, who has laughed at you, or even been angry at you because of the traits associated with AS is classified as NT, and then you get a thread like this.

But perhaps more a fair way to say it is, What do you hate the most about the mean and unaccepting people around you?

But that's not as catchy.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 5:07 pm

A) They have their **** together.

B) They don't see any reason why I shouldn't have my **** together.

C) A lot of them are always telling me they don't see any reason why I shouldn't have my **** together.

D) The ones from "C" never listen when I tell them I have AS and ADD, and that's why I don't have my **** together.

E) The rest of them just look bewildered and don't say much at all. (I don't think they have their **** together).

F) They think that having your **** together is the way to live.

G) I think putting all your **** in one place just stinks and attracts flies.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 8:15 pm

They gabble merrily about nothing a gabbling merrily talking head. I'd prefer not to talk at all :)

I'd much prefer to talk about more interesting things like what motivates that video game character to do the things that he does is he a bad person ? does the ends justify the means?

Why did they put Playboy images scattered through out the world to be collected in
Mafia 2 ? :oops:

I wish Margaret and David Stratton (Movie Show) would review video games what da ya think ?

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 8:18 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Tayribeiro wrote:
I wish they were more logical...

I agree. I swear I loose an IQ point whenever I hang out with my NT friends (I'm surprised I have any NT friends at all).

Only 1 :P and at that age to ?

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2011, 12:37 am

I also I really hate how ableist they can be about this disorder. They assume social communication is super easy, and that anyone can master social communication if they 'try hard enough'. They seem to forget that this is a social disorder. Why is this even acceptable to them? They wouldn't tell a blind person to 'look harder' at a billboard in the distance. And then tell the blind person anyone can master sight if they 'see hard enough'. :-|

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 1:39 am

aussiebloke wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Tayribeiro wrote:
I wish they were more logical...

I agree. I swear I loose an IQ point whenever I hang out with my NT friends (I'm surprised I have any NT friends at all).

Only 1 :P and at that age to ?

And this right here is why I haven't made a friend in 6 years. The only person I can still consider a friend is my older cousin, and that's only because he's the most logical person I know, even though he is NT.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jul 2011, 1:59 am

Because there are apparently some who assume any statement made is meant to be a blanket application to all NTs, I will simply say that this is only some NTs, and also a few people who are not actually NTs but seem pretty mired in certain biases:

When I say that something does not make sense, I do not need to have it explained to me again and again. The different explanations do not make sense either. The core premise is nonsensical to me. My brain does not bend that way.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 2:59 am

The same things that annoy me about Aspies...

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 3:39 am

Their intolerance to randomness and difference. It really sucks.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 3:50 am

Joe90 wrote:
What annoys me the most about NTs is the way they can see what type of a person you are just by looking at you. Any little thing you do and say, even if it is nowhere near weird, something about your behaviour registers in their head, giving them signals that you're ''weird''. So the next time people say, ''you need to communicate with people more'', I feel like turning round and saying, ''don't need to do that - every stranger already knows me! They're so sharp at knowing my personality type just by looking at me, even if I am just sitting there still and not saying or doing anything!''

There's no escape!

This...THIS...THIS!! !!

It's so bad in my case, that being a pale-skinned half-Asian according to NTs means I'm a typical gullible foreign exchange student from another country. Never mind the fact that I'm speaking with an obvious Hoosier accent!

And to add to that, my race is unfortunately why my AS symptoms often get overlooked...NTs just dismiss it as part of the stereotype of the typical shy Asian
Permit me to do this for a while: :roll:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 4:49 am

NUJV wrote:

It happens to me too. That is why it annoys me when people say ''Aspies are the ones who lack understanding''.