Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Arian
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2011, 4:22 am

Ever since I heard of AS a couple of years ago, I've been pronouncing it as As-per-jer's. My mum told me a couple of days ago that it's pronounced Asp-burger's.

Now... I'm not bothered about the right or wrong here, but I am really freaked out by that. AS can't be pronouncially related to a popular meat product! The idea of that really weirds me out. I find my pronounciation far more liquid on my tongue and easier to say, whereas to me, the other one 'tastes' bad :? .

Anyone else get this?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 4:28 am

The name is German so your Mum is correct. The correct pronunciation is Ahs-per-gers. A as in art not have. G as in garden. A lot of English people pronounce the g as you do though.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2011, 4:36 am

Jellybean wrote:
The name is German so your Mum is correct. The correct pronunciation is Ahs-per-gers. A as in art not have. G as in garden. A lot of English people pronounce the g as you do though.

the Name is not German it's Austrian
In English and German it is As –per-gers .
Only a degenerate semi-literate person would make Asp sound like Ass

Last edited by Tadpole on 11 Jul 2011, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 4:58 am

Jellybean wrote:

My mom pronounces it that way too. Aus right for Asperger's?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 5:21 am

Quote:
Jellybean wrote:

Yes it is Austrian, however Austrians speak German.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2011, 5:28 am

Jellybean wrote:
Quote:
Jellybean wrote:

The name is Austrian, Yes they speak German but as with all languages, they speak/phrase/pronounce it differently, Just as a Southerner in the USA will not speak nor sound or even use the same terminology as a person From New York, The style of German spoken in Austria has more in common with the German spoken by a Swiss person, than by a German from Bonn.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 5:56 am

Tadpole wrote:
Jellybean wrote:
Quote:
Jellybean wrote:

The name is Austrian, Yes they speak German but as with all languages, they speak/phrase/pronounce it differently, Just as a Southerner in the USA will not speak nor sound or even use the same terminology as a person From New York, The style of German spoken in Austria has more in common with the German spoken by a Swiss person, than by a German from Bonn.

This is true. I have, however got a friend who's from Austria and she said they pronounce it like that. There are certain differences in pronunciation of other words/letters as you say though.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 6:27 am

It is only those from north America who are uncomfortable about the pronunciation. For those of us who quite happily use "arse" rather than "ass" this is a non issue.

Though much to my chagrin, I have noticed the American version creeping into use in my nation, particularly by sloppy journalists who should know better.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jul 2011, 7:00 am

Fortunately, they're abolishing the word "Asperger's" next year and we won't have to decide these things. Personally, I intend to become an "autist" - I suppose that might confuse some people but the sound of the word seems to indicate that I'm good at something, which will be a refreshing change.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 7:04 am

Is Aspergers going from the ICD as well as DSM?

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 8:02 am

Unfortunately there is no soft "g" in the German language. So if you want to pronounce it properly, As-per-jers is incorrect.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 8:47 am

Tadpole wrote:

They speak German in Austria :/
Also no, not degenerate or semi-literate at all. Not being harsh are you?

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2011, 9:05 am

Gedrene wrote:
Tadpole wrote:

They speak German in Austria :/
Also no, not degenerate or semi-literate at all. Not being harsh are you?
Not at all, you've proven that your statement is a lie.
Reading -posts- and understanding them is part of being literate, and you've not been doing that.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

Jellybean wrote:

That made me sound Brittish when I tried that. :lmao: