For the aspie, there's no such thing as "awkward"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 10:12 am

For me, I don't consider anything anyone does as "awkward". People can do things I find to be "wrong" or maybe "annoying". Find all the words to describe people you want, but awkward is not in my list of vocabulary to describe people.

So do you consider anyone's behaviour to be "awkward"?

emac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

i consider awkwardness as more of a situation that exists between people. i "have awkward interactions" with people, which i don't think is bad, by the way. awkward feels like you're trying to confront or be open to something that's difficult or new. embrace awkward, i think.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Jul 2011, 11:13 am

Its only awkward around my dad...

NUJV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2011, 11:33 am

The word "awkward" is overused and misused. I hate it. It doesn't seem to exist for me either.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

I describe myself as an awkward person. ''Awkward'' is my middle name. That's a fact about me. :)

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

I don't really use the word much.

I guess the only time I've ever applied "awkward" to a person was applying it to myself for a few reasons. But I don't really think about it much.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

Awkward is an awkward word.

Repeat that sentence ten times over and tell me you don't agree by the time you reach the tenth.

Sounds to me like the sound an awkward bird would make.

Awkward is an awkward bird word.

It's an awk-word.

Was that an awkward bird-turd I almost stepped in?

That would have been awkward....

*crickets chirpping*

Okay, I'll stop now.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Awkward is an awkward word.

Repeat that sentence ten times over and tell me you don't agree by the time you reach the tenth.

Sounds to me like the sound an awkward bird would make.

Awkward is an awkward bird word.

It's an awk-word.

Was that an awkward bird-turd I almost stepped in?

That would have been awkward....

*crickets chirpping*

Okay, I'll stop now.

That was awkward :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

I don't consider behaviour "awkward", but occasionally situations. For example, last time I told a girl my feelings for her, she was upset (!), so our conversations was awkward for a few months afterwards.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

jc6chan wrote:
For me, I don't consider anything anyone does as "awkward". People can do things I find to be "wrong" or maybe "annoying". Find all the words to describe people you want, but awkward is not in my list of vocabulary to describe people.

So do you consider anyone's behaviour to be "awkward"?

I feel awkward myself sometimes and when I do, I don't feel comfortable and want to change the situation. I consider situations awkward, not people.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 1:43 pm

I exist on awkwardness.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

I'm told I'm awkward, but I guess I don't think I am because one of the few things I actually find awkward is when people talk to themselves... which I don't do.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 3:36 pm

I don't feel awkwardness towards anything really.

I talk to myself, I act the way I want to, and I say what I want to regardless of this concept of 'awkwardness'.

Though I do avoid saying awkward things for those that seem very susceptible to awkwardness. Out of politeness.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 3:43 pm

Yeah I can identify people who show what NTs would think is awkward. But I dont view them as awkward, its sometimes a relief to see other awkward people because I dont feel so alone. I tend to be less scard of them then others because its likely Im just as awkward as they are.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 7:18 pm

"Awkward" means different things. It could mean a situation where there is the potential for embarrassment, or it could just mean someone is perceptibly uncomfortable with socializing.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2011, 7:40 pm

I felt "awkward" last night when I went to the potter movie midnight showing and the people I went with ditched me so I spent the night talking to 18 year old lesbians who have had way more action then I ever did and the loved that fact.