Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2011, 3:16 am

Several months ago, in biology class, we were talking about vegetarians and vegans and what they eat etc.
I asked my teacher if she were a vegan, but she didn't answer (not sure if she heard me) but the whole class burst out laughing. Can someone tell me why that's so funny?

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 3:29 am

Odds are they all thought you said virgin instead of vegan.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2011, 3:47 am

That made my day. :D

nonentity
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jul 2011, 4:01 am

I dunno, it sounds like there's something missing from the story. Nothing about it seems inherently funny to me.

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2011, 6:01 am

Teachers eat children, they can't be vegans :P

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 7:22 am

Eating dead animals is funny

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 7:27 am

Maybe they've never heard the word before.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 7:34 am

sufi wrote:
Odds are they all thought you said virgin instead of vegan.

That seems unlikely since the g in the two words, while spelled the same, aren't the same sound. Even more unlikely if this is an area that pronounces their Rs. (The vowel sounds are different too, but not a big issue for mistaking one word for another.)

They only sound alike if one mispronounces vegan so the first syllable is like in vegetable AND, one doesn't pronounce the R in virgin (non-rhotic accents).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 9:44 am

No, eating dead plants is funny. Because they were once alive, too. People think fruits and vegetables don't have feelings, and maybe they don't, but how can we know for sure? Maybe apples scream in pain when we bite into one but we just can't hear it.You know what else is funny? When they destroy forests where wild animals live so they have the space to plant crops. Of course that last part wasn't "ha ha" funny. :P

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 10:36 am

Do you tend to "miss" things people say?

If so, it is possible she began the conversation by telling the whole class she was vegan. They may have found it amusing that you had yet again missed the obvious.

It's kind of hard for us to figure this out. We weren't there.

Why don't you just ask either the teacher or one of your classmates. Stuff like that happened to me in school all the time. That was the only way I learned why it happened.

I figured if it was laughter because they thought I was stupid, they already thought I was stupid so asking wouldn't really change their attitudes. If it were because they thought I was joking, they would then know I was not joking, and might think I was stupid, but so what? The only really stupid question is the one you never ask.

Ask.

It's the only really good way to start understanding "the rules" of the NT world.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

NUJV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2011, 10:37 am

Nope, beats me. I don't get it either.

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

MrXxx wrote:
Do you tend to "miss" things people say?

If so, it is possible she began the conversation by telling the whole class she was vegan. They may have found it amusing that you had yet again missed the obvious.

It's kind of hard for us to figure this out. We weren't there.

Why don't you just ask either the teacher or one of your classmates. Stuff like that happened to me in school all the time. That was the only way I learned why it happened.

I figured if it was laughter because they thought I was stupid, they already thought I was stupid so asking wouldn't really change their attitudes. If it were because they thought I was joking, they would then know I was not joking, and might think I was stupid, but so what? The only really stupid question is the one you never ask.

Ask.

It's the only really good way to start understanding "the rules" of the NT world.

Speaking of missing things, here's a funny-ish scenario that happened to me in Math Class (I go to a Jewish School, keep that in mind).

One religious kid made a racist joke and I found his racism not only lacking humor, but also somewhat hypocritical, if you know what I mean. So I said "Imagine if you were living in 1930/40's Germany/Poland". He then thought I called him a Nazi and I denied it, but he said I implied it.

I didn't understand the situation until later when I found he misheard me via the grapevine. (Turns out he heard "You REMIND ME OF a man in 1930/40's Germany/Poland).

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

I don't enough about your situation, but I've been in numerous situations that involved me wondering why people were laughing at me, but I'll mention the first two that enter my thoughts:

I remember looking at an EastBay magazine for a basketball jersey during my Biology class in my 9th Grade year. While my classmates were talking about a certain pair of shoes, I happened to see those same exact shoes they were talking about, I said at random, "Those shoes are ugly!" And everyone started laughing. I wonder if it's because I usually said nothing in class, because I was always sleeping, but I'll never know.

Another moment was while I was in the 11th Grade, I believe. I was walking down onto the bus ramp from the school hallway, when some random female, never seen her before in my life, said, "Aye! You got stripes on yo shirt!" I replied, "I know," and walked along, minding my business as if nothing ever happened. I heard laughters and "OOOOOs", but I didn't know who it was geared towards or why. I figured later that the female was trying to trick me into ridicule, I suppose because they thought something was wrong with me, and I didn't "go for the bait", per se. Although, I didn't show it, I smiled inside :D

Anyways, the point I was trying to get at is, you never really know what it was. And it may bug the (expletive) out of you, and you may spend hours on end (at the least for some) wondering what you did wrong. I know it still does to me when I can't figure it out, just try your best to learn from it is the best I can say. Much easier said than done, but what can you really say about these things?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Maybe it was a inappropriate question to ask because you asked it at the wrong time?

Or the class may have been laughing about something else. Maybe another person did something funny and they laughed and it was just a coincidence because they did it right after you asked the question.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

When I'm in class, there's always some sort of chatter in the background - is it possible that something else happened as you asked the vegan question, that everyone laughed at?

Olympia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

There isn't anything funny about your question as far as i can tell. Perhaps they were laughing at something else?