Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Argentina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2011, 11:10 pm

could moving from one country to another 10 years ago have a played a part in increasing my husband's symptoms of aspergers?

he moved from UK to Oz 10 years ago and i notice when we go back to the UK for visit he is much more functional in terms of dealing with issues like driving, things not working properly, changes in routines etc.

I certainly noticed symptoms when we first met in the UK in 1999, but much, much worse over the past 10 years. could it be that he had learnt to deal with life in the UK well, but starting in a new country in his mid-30's was a much bigger life change than what we realised?

Fragmented
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2011, 11:42 pm

Argentina wrote:
could moving from one country to another 10 years ago have a played a part in increasing my husband's symptoms of aspergers?

he moved from UK to Oz 10 years ago and i notice when we go back to the UK for visit he is much more functional in terms of dealing with issues like driving, things not working properly, changes in routines etc.

I certainly noticed symptoms when we first met in the UK in 1999, but much, much worse over the past 10 years. could it be that he had learnt to deal with life in the UK well, but starting in a new country in his mid-30's was a much bigger life change than what we realised?

Very likely. I moved when I was younger and my problems definitely got worse for a while, in fact they're still much worse than when I was living in my birth town. But either way, yes.

It is definitely a huge change, and he's having to cope with a whole new country, a new lifestyle, all sorts of big differences. The UK is his home, which is why he's better at functioning there, it's comfortable, it's familiar.

Aspie Score: 170 of 200
NT Score: 37 of 200