Hai again, just received official confirmation...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm

Hai again, been a while since I've last been here.

Yesterday I went to see my psychiatrist to get some forms filled out for a work agency and also for university (to get accommodations) and during the course of our discussion, he brought up Asperger's. Then he basically officially confirmed that I had it and put Asperger's down on my form, in addition to my other diagnosis of schizoaffective.

I'm not quite sure what to think. I guess relief? I had been confused for a while because my psychologist and psychiatrist had been wrangling with the idea of whether I was on the spectrum. Doc had always said no. Now it's yes? I don't know what changed.

So, anyways. I guess I'm trying to adjust to viewing myself as an official Aspie instead of someone who, for several years, wasn't sure. When I first joined here in 2005 I had no idea, but I guess my instinct was ultimately correct.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:12 pm

Welcome back.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

8O WOW 8O

I can't even BEGIN to imagine how you must FEEL right now! :?

Vindicated, perhaps?

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

Confirmation can be a good thing rather than leaving you wondering forever ;) I hope that it helps you understand & learn more.

People's instincts are right quite often, even though of course there are times when we assume the wrong things.

I'm glad that you have confirmation. Congratulations :D

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

Thanks all. Yes, confirmation is good. I was getting a bit tired of being in limbo and not being sure if I was a 'fake' or the real deal. Sometimes I wanted some extra assistance with uni based on something which might have been related to Asperger's but I couldn't get it because I didn't have it, officially. Here, the psychiatrist reigns supreme. I always felt awkward in forums like here because I wasn't sure if I was a 'real' member.

It has been a long road. Actually, I suspected ASD in high school after reading Donna Williams and realising I could relate to her experiences. I just didn't take it seriously until I was dxed with social anxiety and I felt that there was something underlying that was informing it.

Vindication might be in the mix of emotions I feel right now. I'm not sure. I do believe there are several emotions running through me but I can't pinpoint them. Hence me typing this at 3:12am!

Kiss me to the core."

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

Congrats. I'm looking forward a professional assessment. Either way, I'll be relieved. I would prefer a confirmation though, as I'm a bit envying you. :)

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 5:10 pm

Congrats on making it official. I am looking forward to the day when I can as well, but with no insurance in America, it's quite expensive.

thisisautism
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2011, 10:22 pm

SmallFruitSong wrote:

Yesterday I went to see my psychiatrist to get some forms filled out for a work agency and also for university (to get accommodations) and during the course of our discussion, he brought up Asperger's. Then he basically officially confirmed that I had it and put Asperger's down on my form, in addition to my other diagnosis of schizoaffective.

I'm not quite sure what to think. I guess relief? I had been confused for a while because my psychologist and psychiatrist had been wrangling with the idea of whether I was on the spectrum. Doc had always said no. Now it's yes? I don't know what changed.

So, anyways. I guess I'm trying to adjust to viewing myself as an official Aspie instead of someone who, for several years, wasn't sure. When I first joined here in 2005 I had no idea, but I guess my instinct was ultimately correct.

You shouldn't think of yourself as an "official Aspie" because that is allowing AS to become part of your identity

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 10:49 pm

Welcome back! :D

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

29 Jul 2011, 11:30 pm

thisisautism wrote:
SmallFruitSong wrote:

You shouldn't think of yourself as an "official Aspie" because that is allowing AS to become part of your identity

ummm. AS affects us at a very basic level of who we are, how can it not become part of one's identity???
If you take away the ASD from us, we would be a totally different person.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2011, 11:40 pm

I guess what I meant by "officially Aspie" was simply that - I've been given the official confirmation. So, now I am officially diagnosed as a person with Asperger's. I meant it as more of a description of my current status.

I see the point in not over-identifying with being on the spectrum, but on some level it does have an impact on who I am and how I experience the world.

Kiss me to the core."