Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

The doctor that diagnosed told my parents that I had PDD-NOS, but wrote down that I had HFA because where I live, services aren't provided to people with AS/PDD-NOS. However, I read this one Wikipedia:

"Inhibited communication skills are a sign of PDD-NOS that begins immediately after birth. As an infant, they will not babble, and as they age, they do not speak when age appropriate. Once verbal communication begins, their vocabulary is often limited."

It says "will" and I talked at 12.5 months (and haven't stopped :lol:) so I don't have a speech delay, and I babbled when I was like 3 months old. I am talking quite a bit in a video for my second birthday. I was speaking in full sentences around 18 months.

Is this a requirement for a diagnosis of PDD-NOS? I was actually diagnosed with PDD-NOS because I didn't meet the full AS criteria. My PDD-NOS seems to mimic "Asperger's" better than "High Functioning Autism".

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

01 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

You might need to bring it up with them again, because one of the Asperger's traits listed in the critera I was tested for said "No significant speech delay".

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:32 pm

Wikipedia is a starting point for knowledge, not a definitive source.

For me, the important questions have less to do with the label than what I should be doing about my problems.

For instance, my inability in grade school to initiate and sustain conversation (almost non-existent) is more consistent with HFA than Asperger's. But at my age, it doesn't really matter. My adaptations are the same either way.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

YEAH, wikipedia is wrong. PDD-NOS means:

P=Pervasive
D=Developmental
D=Disorder

N=NOT
O=****OTHERWISE***
S=SPECIFIED!

So it is NOT a diagnosis per say. It says you ALMOST fit the autistic spectrum, and that it is the closest fit, but the doctor thinks you aren't Kanners or AS