Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

I learned to play the drums, because Mick Avory is my favourite member of the original Kinks lineup.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

Yes, I can play:

Piano
Baritone/Euphonium
Tuba
Drums (mainly set out of school... as well as snare, bass drum, cymbals, and other percussion instruments individually in school)
Keyboards (marimba, xylophone, vibraphone, etc.)

I learned how to play the two brass instruments in school, I played the keyboards mentioned in school, then I am self-taught when it comes to drumming. I have received piano lessons on and off since I was around five or six, as well as teaching myself a lot about piano, so I'm a combination of self-taught and taught when it comes to that instrument.

I want to learn a "woodwind" instrument.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

My first instrument was the alto sax.
Second was the piano (this is the one I'm best at)
Third (doesn't really count because I have virtually no skill) is the guitar.
I've also tried the clarinet--I'd like to learn to play it properly.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2011, 7:08 pm

I play the drums, Flute, Recorder, trumpet, cello and Guitar.

I played the flute in primary school I still play occassionally. I started playing when I was ten. I was in the primary school band and then went to playing the flute in the high school band till grade ten when I started playing the drums for the high school band. I started playing the drums when I was 13 and have been playing ever since. I still play the drums quiet regularly and I usually play Jazz these days. I was over the moon when I got my first drumkit a pearl export marble coloured beginners kit. I ended up getting lessons for 3 years with the drums from when I was 15 and did work experience in my drum teachers shop which I loved I couldnt wait to play the black pearl 12 piece drumkit they had on show. In my later years I started playing guitar and ended up getting lessons for awhile. I used to play other peoples instruments in the school band we all taught each other how to play each others instruments and practiced togeather. I can play the trumpet and the cello not as good as the drums and flute though and I am learning to play the piano. My favourite drummers are Phil Collins and Buddy Rich, Chad Smith from Red Hot Chilli Peppers is cool and Ticco Tora from Bon Jovi is good too. The Aussie drummers such as Brett Eckels from The Angels is good as well as Paul Wheeler from Icehouse and Paul Hester from Crowded House. Steve from Cold Chisel is good and David Reyne from Australian Crawl.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 8:14 pm

Piano/Keyboards. Also dabbled in guitar, viola, and saxophone, although I wouldn't know how to play them if I picked them up today.

iSpeedy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2011, 8:15 pm

Piano and violin. I think I was born knowing how to play the piano, and it's like breathing to me. When I play it is the only time I feel completely comfortable in my own skin.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 8:18 pm

I played the clarinet in middle school band, but I never got very far with it; it was never a special interest of mine.

Georgia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2011, 9:41 pm

n3rdgir1 wrote:
Georgia wrote:
--Guitar
--a little Piano
--learning the Cello

working on getting better at all three

A little piano? A mini piano or you're only slightly skilled?

I play guitar, alto sax, and piano.

I'd say I'm slightly skilled at all three:

Piano is nice because I can figure out how the notes work together; I can see the logic of the note progressions etc.

I can play about 10 songs really well on guitar, but I've been too busy to learn more.

Cello has been going very slowly, but I've wanted to play since I was a kid so I don't mind.

We have several instruments in the house, and my hope is that each of my kids will take to at least one and stick with it. We have several guitars-electric and acoustic, banjo, clarinet, saxophone, violin, cello, piano, a drum kit, and other small percussion instruments.
We try to get one new instrument every couple of years. I feel very lucky.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

01 Aug 2011, 9:44 pm

Georgia wrote:
n3rdgir1 wrote:
Georgia wrote:
--Guitar
--a little Piano
--learning the Cello

Piano is nice because I can figure out how the notes work together; I can see the logic of the note progressions etc.

I can play about 10 songs really well on guitar, but I've been too busy to learn more.

Cello has been going very slowly, but I've wanted to play since I was a kid so I don't mind.

We have several instruments in the house, and my hope is that each of my kids will take to at least one and stick with it. We have several guitars-electric and acoustic, banjo, clarinet, saxophone, violin, cello, piano, a drum kit, and other small percussion instruments.

Do you think you could send me an acoustic guitar? I'm tired of playing regular on what is clearly a Classical guitar!

Georgia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2011, 9:52 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Georgia wrote:
n3rdgir1 wrote:
Georgia wrote:
--Guitar
--a little Piano
--learning the Cello

Do you think you could send me an acoustic guitar? I'm tired of playing regular on what is clearly a Classical guitar!

Sorry I can't. They belong to my husband, so they're not mine to give away. You could probably find a nice student acoustic for not too much. Maybe even used. My own guitar is a 3/4 size no-name brand that I got used 15 years ago. Still sounds just fine to me.

Musician's Friend, Rondo Music, and Lark in the Morning are 3 companies that carry a wide range of instruments for all skill levels. I think they do payment plans as well. Good luck!

Hotura
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2011, 10:00 pm

I used to play the clarinet when I was in Jr.high and High School band. Then my junior and senior year I played Alto sax for marching band and pep band in high school. I don't play them anymore :/

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 10:27 pm

Piano/keyboard for about 4 years now and a bit of guitar. I'd like to learn the cello sometime.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2011, 7:45 pm

Yep, I took guitar and piano lessons in middle and high school. I have an electronic keyboard but I want to play guitar again.
I think instruments like guitar and piano are ones you can learn at any age, even if you're an adult. Whereas instruments like violin, harp, cello, etc. are ones you should probably start at a young age.
I also sing, if that counts but I've never had any formal voice training. :wink:

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 8:51 pm

I play a 1977 Schwinn ten-speed bicycle while riding a 1979 Fender Stratocaster guitar. Yes, I said that right. I've done this tens of thousands of miles since the early 1980s, the past thirty years with the same bicycle, the past twenty years with the same guitar.

I can play on acoustic guitars but don't own any.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm

I've also taught myself to read guitar tablature online even though I don't have a guitar at the moment. I go to this site called ultimateguitar.com and they have chords and tablature to practically every song out there.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 12:55 am

Piano - because it's fun
Guitar - because it's fun
Alto Sax - because it's fun
Trumpet - because it's fun
Oboe - Because it's fun
Bb Clarinet - because it's fun