Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stilldays
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2011, 3:49 pm

I read a pdf about asperger types that had a part reflecting a problem I had. Did any of you feel extremely bad if class lasted too long or your parents/bus were even a minute late. I would watch the clock and meltdown if class ran a few minutes later than expected.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

I felt extremely bad if my parents were late. If they were late for more than 10 minutes I would start crying. Class lasting longer than I expected made me feel very anxious as well but not nearly as bad as my parents being late to pick me up.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 4:02 pm

Waiting for someone to pick you up is awful if you don't know when they're going to be there. I would rather wait an hour knowing that it's going to be an hour than wait 15 minutes not knowing how long it's going to be.

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

11 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

Jory wrote:
Waiting for someone to pick you up is awful if you don't know when they're going to be there. I would rather wait an hour knowing that it's going to be an hour than wait 15 minutes not knowing how long it's going to be.

Same. Even if they already said they're going to be there, I always think that something went wrong.

stilldays
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

My mom would have to walk me from class to the exit every day til forth grade. If anything didnt go as planned I would cry so hard. I still wonder why those werent warning signs that something was wrong with me. That and everything else. Wish I would have grown up when aspergers was more known.

NicoleR
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm

Yeah, I get very stressed if anything like that happens. If the teacher is really late and they aren't normally late I get very irritated but there is one teacher that I have made an execption on because the normal thing for her to be is late :lol: If the class lasts longer that expected I used to end up in arguements with teachers because they shouldn't have done that. (They would ask me what's wrong and I'd explain why)

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:24 pm

I used to get really stressed/panicky. Now I just monitor the time obsessively and call/text whoever is late if they are 5-15 minutes late.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 7:21 pm

Yes. And to this day if a meeting or other scheduled function starts late, I am quite pissed off. I make it point to be on time and I feel insulted when people can't show me the same respect.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Aug 2011, 8:21 pm

I used to panic, now I just get all twitchy when something doesn't go as planned. I remember how horrible it was.

David23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

I had major anxiety when I rode the bus home, since there were so many as I had to get to mine before it left, I still have nightmares (rarely, but strangely one last night...) about missing my bus. I think It's because I actually did miss it once *Shivers* It gets me upset just thinking about it :(

My Tweets sometimes get out of hand... Disregard any offensive ones... It's all in good fun/ludicrousness ;)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Aug 2011, 10:38 pm

Yes, classes going over were upsetting. Waiting for a ride and not knowing when it would arrive was stressful. Rides being late were stressful.

I still get stressed. The other day my therapist came out five minutes late and I was about ready to lose it. I talked to her about it and she said "I think most people have anxiety about lateness." and that phrase just shuts me down when it doesn't cause a meltdown and I have so much trouble answering it.

I also really dislike people being early.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:49 pm

I wouldn't call it a panic attack by any means, but unexpected changes do make me irritable.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:51 pm

my time has to be organized or else I don't know what to do with it...

or at least that's how I feel... and when I feel that way, I get antsy, anxious, or panicky and find something to do to make that feeling go away.

A good question to build on this is... what do you do to destress or neutralize the stress build up so that you don't worry so much or get anxious about time, being late, waiting for someone, etc.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:46 am

Yes.

One of the times in school, we had a school assembly and then it was time for lunch but the bell didn't ring and I started to get anxiety because I thought we were not going to have lunch and it was lunch time and no one was leaving the gym. I started to panic and have a meltdown and talking to my aid about it and she kept telling me not to worry and we won't miss lunch. But it was already lunch time and five minutes had gone by and no one was leaving and I was panicking thinking we skip lunch and I would have to go hungry.

Then once we all got dismissed ten minutes after, I calmed down and raced for the lunch room so I can have my food and not miss lunch.

I also hated when class wouldn't get out when it was supposed to and I would panic because I wouldn't know when we were getting out. I was scared I would be late for my next class and get written up because the bell didn't ring and we were all kept in our class.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:52 am

Not me- I love it when my classes run overtime because I love school.
I get slightly annoyed when a doctor's office is "running behind", but that's about it.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:53 am

Not me- I love it when my classes run overtime because I love school.
I get slightly annoyed when a doctor's office is "running behind", but that's about it.

to his Interest."