Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

K-kub
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2011, 12:28 pm

My cousin on my father's side (my father's brother's son) was diagnosed with Asperger's years ago. He's pretty reclusive and doesn't talk a lot unless you're talking about something that he's really fascinated with. I assumed that this is what all people with Aspergers were like. I knew nothing about the condition.

About 6 months ago, I reconnected with a girl from High School that I was very close friends with. We had a falling out after high school and I just disassociated. Eventually we reconnected, and it was like nothing changed. She was exactly the same and we picked up our friendship like it was high school all over again. She told me that she has Aspergers (undiagnosed, but I would be amazed if she didn't have it. She matches all the symptoms to a T). As we kept talking about it over the months, I wondered if maybe we were such good friends because we had similar views on everything. We were both frustrated by the stupidity of others and how people are so content being morons, and how we both felt like we could never learn enough. We're both artists and enjoy learning new ways to draw and express ourselves.

Lately I started studying Aspergers on my own, using credible websites and checking the cited sources and visiting websites like this one and others that explain the symptoms. I printed a 17-page report on the condition and only highlighted things that I identified with. I highlighted material on all 17 pages. I think this is worth getting tested for. If for no other reason than to have a diagnosis and a community to belong to. I've felt exiled for the way I think and how I feel and it gets to the point where I don't want to talk to people or express my opinions because people judge me or tell me that my thoughts are offensive.

Anywho, the point I'm trying to make is that I want to get diagnosed. I'm not sure how to go about finding a physician to do this. I've read that it's best to find doctors that specialize in AS and the diagnoses of autistic conditions. Are there places that anyone knows of that I can visit? I live in Seattle, WA, but I am willing to travel a decent amount to see a physician who knows what they're talking about, or maybe find a method of searching for one.
--
K-kub